autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AIO Followed By Finishing Polish - Wipe Down/Off AIO Between The Two?

My problem was my incorrect use of the term AIO, thus a vocabulary problem. I thought what I had was considered was an AIO but it in fact is a one-step polish. Once we sorted that out, the rest then made more sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ralphsmithiii View Post
    My problem was my incorrect use of the term AIO, thus a vocabulary problem. I thought what I had was considered was an AIO but it in fact is a one-step polish. Once we sorted that out, the rest then made more sense.
    You'll have to excuse us.

We went through a period not too long ago where people were recommending a popular cleaner wax for everything from heavy cutting to medium polishing, to final polishing.... It's a good product, but those recommendations were getting ridiculous. Mostly because when it was recommended as a heavy cut compound, people were saying to use something else to finish with... Cut with a cleaner wax, polish with a finisher, and seal...

In your case, it was a simple misunderstanding, but that hasn't always been the case.

In respect to your original post, the 2500 / 3500 will work. You might be happy with what 2500 can deliver.

3. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok makes more sense now Terminology in detailing can be confusing, and this is not helped by manufacturers switching terms for products either.

Post Thanks / Like

Not your fault. You mentioned MC2500 as your "AIO" so I think most guys that read your post understood what you meant.

When I personally hear the term 1-step I think of products like (MC2500, S20 Black, & HD Adapt) while many guys think of an AIO/cleaner wax

Did you know that cilantro actually tastes like soap to some people? The terms "1-step" & "AIO" may actually be more polarizing among forum members than the way people feel about cilantro.

6. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Did you know that cilantro actually tastes like soap to some people? The terms "1-step" & "AIO" may actually be more polarizing among forum members than the way people feel about cilantro.
    Why you gotta being up cilantro on here, this is supposed to be my safe place!

I get into enough scuffles with my family at our monthly dinners about whether or not cilantro tastes like stink bugs (it does) and whether or not sour cream looks like Elmer’s glue (it does!)

I do agree though. The terminology for some things detailing related get confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everytime I see my jug of diluted Wheel Brightener I yearn for grape juice.🥤

Cilantro tastes like soap? Who came up with that 1? Who goes around tasting soap? Lol.

10. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Everytime I see my jug of diluted Wheel Brightener I yearn for grape juice.��

Cilantro tastes like soap? Who came up with that 1? Who goes around tasting soap? Lol.
    My gf says it tastes like soap...

I like it, but that might just be my ethnicity coming into play? Maybe not, because my Dad didn't like it. To the point that Grandma, and Mom would remove it from traditional dishes...

I also have read that it removes foreign heavy metals from the body - including aluminum - which is something I'm exposed to regularly. I suppose it couldn't hurt!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Not your fault. You mentioned MC2500 as your "AIO" so I think most guys that read your post understood what you meant.

When I personally hear the term 1-step I think of products like (MC2500, S20 Black, & HD Adapt) while many guys think of an AIO/cleaner wax

That would be true if there were only a few products on the market. But with 1000s of them, you cannot assume people know what each product is, especially with Menzerna that use weird names that are changed often for their products. In my case the only product I use and know from them is Powerlock. I also know ColorLock although I do not use it. As for the rest of their products, never really looked into them. I am pretty sure I am not alone in this situation

So using a product type instead of a product name is not a bad idea. Saying your are using a cleaner wax, or a one step polish means that people will know what the product does without knowing the product itself. Of course if you get that wrong, it can be confusing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Everytime I see my jug of diluted Wheel Brightener I yearn for grape juice.��

A better question is: Who is tasting wheel brightener?!

14. Likes Paint Correction God liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

this is what I was about to say, well said Desertnate

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think we might have a vocabulary problem that is confusing things.

An AIO is also known as a cleaner wax. Examples of AIO's are HD Speed, McKee's 37 360, or Menzerna 3-in-one. These products have a mild polish mixed in with a sealant or wax and allow you to polish and protect the car in one step, hence the designator of "all in one". The abrasives in these products vary by aggressiveness, but all are on the mild side. Also the wax/selants in them also vary in durability. If you are going to apply a coating, you do NOT want to use one of these types of products because of the wax/sealant they leave behind.

If you're talking about Menzerna 2500, that isn't an AIO, it's a medium grade or swirl remover polish. Some people may refer to it as a one-step polish because you may be able to use it to correct and produce an LSP ready shine in one step on certain paints. One-step doesn't equal AIO. Using 2500 to do the correction, and then following up with a finishing polish like 3500, 3800, or SRC Finishing Polish would be very normal.

With that out of the way, I think you're asking if you need to do a wipe down between your medium grade polish and finishing polish. My answer would be, it depends. Technically, you don't. The important wipe down is at the end of all the polishing and before you apply the coating in order to remove all the oils from the polishes. However, when first working on the car, it might be a good idea on a couple spots just to make sure you're getting the desired level of correction from the 2500 without all the polishing oils obscuring your view of the actual paint condition.

16. Likes mwoywod liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123