autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ok, so what could I have done differently??

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Soft pads like the ones you mentioned do gum up with 2500 oils, also 2500 likes to be worked longer.
    oh it gummed up alright ...but working it longer was not an option at that point.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did my Honda HRV I bought a week ago today, with polish. I used car pro essence gloss enhancer, a mild microfiber finishing pad on a griots random orbital at medium speed. It worked perfect in about three passes in a 2 x 2 section and it was done. I then followed with Carpro reload...
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Menz tend to be on the oily side especially when you get down to the finer polishes. Your using 2500 on Honda paint try a firmer pad with less product. Prime your pad with 5 pea size drops of product and one spritz of distilled H2o. My usual starting point with a one step is orange pad then maybe down to a white pad. IME Honda paints are not a fan of softer pads with anything other then a LSP. The pad tend to stick and stutter. Think one or two pads more aggressive then what you would normally use with an medium cut compound. A firmer pad will give you a smoother run over the soft paint and work with a slow speed. I'm a huge Soft Paint fan because with firmer pads and lighter cut polishes you can get great cut and finish out quite pristine.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    well I loaded the pad first by smearing it around.. after that 3 to 4 drops. The same on the 6inch pad and the 3.5 pad on the PC. I could have tried a slower speed but I also didnt want to really slow down arm speed or more passes for make up for less rotations.
    Try backing off to four small drops on the 6", and two or three on the 3.5" - to start. Reload the 6" with three, and the 3.5" with one or two.

Menzerna polishes embody the "less is more" philosophy. The whole "priming" via smearing liquid into the face of the pad seems to work against Menzerna polishes, as it sort of throws off the systemic balance of paint/pad/product/tool/operator. From what I've read, they are designed to work with minimal quantities. This also allows the pad to have more influence in cut/finish by not being hyper lubricated by excessive lubrication.

I'm not familiar with the yellow BOSS pad, but very familiar with the green. I start with three drops of polish on any of my 5.5" pads - that one included. I reload with one or two drops. Usually four passes on speed 5 or 6 (porter cable) gets the job done. Truth be told, the tangerine LC Hydrotech is probably my favorite with 2500.

5. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    I used a foam Griots Garage yellow pad.. I also used a Green polishing pad from Chemical Guys. They Both did the same thing.
    The normal gg pads or the boss pads??

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

7. Likes WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itsgn View Post
    Did you try adding a tiny little bit (but really just a tiny little bit) spritz of water to the pad (also possibly not straight away, but after before the last or last two passes)? It helps both with lubrication and heat dissipation. It might however make your pad sling polish around more than usual.

Also are you sure that you pad wasn't stalling regularly? Large throw DAs with large pads tend to stall fairly easily, but you might not notice it, unless your backing plate or pad is marked asymmetrically.
    I tried with some clay lube from WGURW. I mainly did that on the very first time I used the pad though.

Post Thanks / Like

Still trying to figure out what pads you used on your long throw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    The normal gg pads or the boss pads??

I have both types. I mainly used the thinner griots pad on the boss 21. I used the thicker 3.5inch pad on the porter cable. I also towards the end of it used the thicker chemical guys green pad on the boss 21. They gummed up pretty well on each pad type. i didnt try the 5 inch pads though

sorry ... the Boss pads from Griots are the thinner ones

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12