autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is iron X really needed?

I recently freshened up my 2014 Avalon with a flex 3401 and menzerna fg400 and 3500 but no iron X. It came out great and I removed almost every paint defect besides deep scratches.
    Is that stinky stuff really needed? I'm just trying to decide because I'm doing my black Toyota sequoia next.
    Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is iron X really needed?

Yes

Post Thanks / Like

I think so depending on how clean you want the paint. The IronX sort of dissolves things in the paint not on the paint. The idea is to allow as much light as possible to reflect back to the eye. When you clay and use a product like iron X it just pulls that much more dirt out of the paint to allow for more light to reflect the surrounding for a better shine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm convinced

5. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally use Iron-X before claying step.Worth it..
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

7. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I would definitely use it.

Mike Phillips

Half my forum work is simply remembering what I've already wrote and then the key words to type into Skynet to find it...

Here you go....

The Car Insurance Analogy for using an Iron Remover by Mike Phillips

An iron remover is one of those products you want to use but you don't actually want it to work - Mike Phillips

Using an iron remover is like buying car insurance, you want to have it but you don't really want to use it because that means you were in an accident and this is never any fun. That said, it's important to have car insurance for financial, physical and emotional peace of mind just in case you are involved in an accident.

When you use an iron remover, you don't actually want to see iron contamination via the very visual bleeding-effect as this means your car's exterior is contaminated. Contamination means deterioration has been taking place. That's never a good thing and especially considering how thin clearcoat layer of paint is from the factory.

Like having car insurance, it's a good idea to use an iron remover on your car's exterior, but like car insurance, you really don't have to use it or in the case of an iron remover you don't actually want to see any color changing or bleed-effect take place as this would mean your car's exterior is not contaminated.

It would be better to see nothing and have peace of mind. The price of the iron remover is a minimal compared to knowing your paint was not contaminated.

If you do see the color changing or bleeding effect, then you have peace of mind knowing the contamination has been removed and the deterioration has been stopped.

The only way to really know if your car is contaminated is to use some insurance i.e. use an iron remover...

Car Insurance on Autogeek.com

SONAX Fallout Cleaner

Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller Iron Remover 500 ml

Dodo Juice Supernatural Ferro Lube 500 ml

Britemax Iron Max Iron Remover

Griots Garage Iron & Fallout Remover

McKee’s 37 Xtreme Iron Remover

Optimum FerreX Iron Remover 17 oz

GYEON Q2M Iron Remover - 500 ml

CarPro Iron X Iron Remover 500 ml

CarPro Iron X Lemon Scent 500 ml

CarPro TRIX Tar and Iron Remover 1 Liter

10. Thanks Diner, Chopper280 thanked for this post
    Likes Goonie75, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I generally always use some kinda Iron Remover but, aside from one vehicle, rarely get any of the fantastic-icle bleeding everyone shows in pictures. And I live in NE Ohio, a place where our river caught fire in the 70's and they still require emissions testing due to poor air quality. One would think this would be a prime area for industrial fallout/contamination. CarPro Iron-X, Gyeon Iron, Sonax Fallout Remover...none give me the visual entertainment I see from some folks. *sigh*

I feel cheated...

12. Thanks Chopper280 thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lalojamesliz View Post
    Thanks for the answers guys. I'm convinced
    I bought my car when it was 2 years old. I could actually see the pits and pot marks in the hood starting to turn orange in the sunlight. The Iron remover got rid of it in 1 treatment is

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I generally always use some kinda Iron Remover but, aside from one vehicle, rarely get any of the fantastic-icle bleeding everyone shows in pictures. And I live in NE Ohio, a place where our river caught fire in the 70's and they still require emissions testing due to poor air quality. One would think this would be a prime area for industrial fallout/contamination. CarPro Iron-X, Gyeon Iron, Sonax Fallout Remover...none give me the visual entertainment I see from some folks. *sigh*

I feel cheated...
    This is exactly my experience also. Even so, I would not skip the Iron remover step - especially if I am going to apply a ceramic coating to the vehicle. Makes good sense to consider it "insurance" as Mike points out...
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

15. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast