autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New car trim

Post Thanks / Like

New car trim

I recently purchased a new car and most of the rubber trim around the windows and other pieces were replaced due to being defective when we purchased the new car.

I purchased the Wolfgang WETS. Do I need to just clean the trim and apply the WETS or do I use a trim product and then the WETS?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car trim

Never hurts to clean the trim... an APC diluted to your liking or a 'tire &/or rubber rejuvenator' kind of product maybe... Griots makes one as to many others... an APC diluted maybe... not required but may last longer and give a better look if you do clean it... IMHO...

3. Likes PaulMys, DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Griot's Black Shine trim restorer as well. Just wasn't sure if I needed to apply that first let cure and then seal it with WETS.

I red a few post that say if its brand new trim you can just clean and apply the WETS sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

I tested the WETS on the new trim and it seemed to seal it, but the look stayed stock. Nothing like it shows on the Autoggeek site! (I do like the flat look of the new trim just sealed) but I have some clients that like the more shiny look on the black. Any recommendations to add a dressing before I use the WETS to seal?

Post Thanks / Like

My only suggestion is to ALWAYS clean black rubber trim in a very shaded cool area or garage. Never in sunlight!

7. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Automoglow View Post
    I tested the WETS on the new trim and it seemed to seal it, but the look stayed stock. Nothing like it shows on the Autoggeek site! (I do like the flat look of the new trim just sealed) but I have some clients that like the more shiny look on the black. Any recommendations to add a dressing before I use the WETS to seal?
    Do you have any pics of your trim?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    My only suggestion is to ALWAYS clean black rubber trim in a very shaded cool area or garage. Never in sunlight!
    Why?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree! My buddy has permanently stained his trim by cleaning it in the sun. He ended up getting a new trim piece.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Why?
    Hey Eldo, I"m assuming you're pulling my leg, but a good question none the less. So for those that really asked "why" but didn't reply:

The black trim can reach surface temps much greater temperature than the air-temp (depending on location, time of year, angle of sun, air-temperature and many other variables). Product will just bake on the black trim, making it nearly impossible to wipe off. Unless a product is really "sun-safe" I'd always suggest working on the black trim in shade. This will give you longer work time with the product. My favorite for black trim, either plastic or rubber was the Black Fire AIO Tire and Trim Protectant. Sadly, not made any more.

It was 94 outside yesterday here in Chandler AZ, however my laser thermometer gave me readings of 120 and above on certain trim areas of my car while it was in the garage, however, those part exposed with the garage door open.

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Eldo, I"m assuming you're pulling my leg, but a good question none the less. So for those that really asked "why" but didn't reply:
    Nope, I wasn’t pulling your leg. I figured that was the reason, but I wanted to make sure.

Also, I tend to ask alot of questions for several reasons.
    1. To keep things active on the forum or in real life, silence = boredom. Lol.
    2. I like to ask certain questions, even ones that may have obvious answers because there’s always someone out there who legit doesn’t know but is afraid to ask. New car trim

14. Likes PaulMys, LSNAutoDetailing, Goonie75 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast