autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Washer Can't Get Detergent Out of Towels?

Hey,

I use a front loading washing machine and if I check last rinse cycle before it drains, the water is always still sudsy, even after several hot rinse cycles. I've tried All Free and Clear and a Persil detergent and as little as a 1/4 of the recommended amount, a vinegar rinse, adding extra hot water to the washer and I still just can't get them to rinse free of suds. The towels I use (instead of mitts) for the actual car wash have even more suds because of the car shampoo.

Anyone else check the rinse cycle before it drains for suds and anyone have suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washer Can't Get Detergent Out of Towels?

I think that dedicated mf wash detergent is lower sudsing. Then before I put the wash mitts and wash towel in the washer I always rinse them out clear under running water. Since car soap are made for creat alot of suds. Do a washing with some cotton towels or cotton bed sheets that you can dispose if needed. And ad a mf detergent like 3d Towel Clean that is a economic choice and a good one. Set it on the highest heat possible on the washer and ad white vinegar in the rinse cycle. Do this without any mf in it! Then do an extra rinse cycle without anything in it and clean any filters and before this clean where you put the detergent and rinse media in the washer. If you don't have the possibility to wait for the mf detergent. Buy a fluid wash detergent and it's going to be for colored clothes and safe for them with allergies and even for toddlers to wash your mf towels in. And read so it's no fabric softerner in it but that it's it often not in it when it's safe for them with allergies.

Little tips that I know of and have done and do time to time. So the washer stays clean and not build up with leftover detergent and softerner. I even clean out the drum in the washer with a throw away mf towel to get any fabric leftovers also that can be in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Always used a dedicated MF towel wash with no issues. Make sure you are rinsing them, and wringing them out, prior to washing.

4. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with SKorch630... wring them out is even better, but a dedicated MF wash may help. Others use Tide Free & Clear and have good luck. I honestly have never tried a 'free & clear' detergent for my MF towels (I do use a free & clear for my family's clothes). I use CG Microfiber Wash and have never looked back. Others like other brands like 3M but I personally saw no need (maybe it's a better value) for my towels always came out clean and no suds in rinse (i do use '2 rinses'). So, yeah, maybe a dedicated MF cleaner would help... I've also never had good luck with a front loading machine either... IMHO... probably not the reason but a variable nonetheless...

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It may be the washer internals coupled with low temperature water. We have always had a front loader and I always use "hot" for the water and I always run a laundry load through prior on a full cycle without detergent I and never have this problem anymore. I did when I used "warm" and I think it is because of the residual soap clogging the arteries (sorry for the medical metaphor) inside of the washer. Our washer also has a "rinse and spin" cycle which I use multiple times after a wash just to be sure.

If you don't want to use "hot" water then you may be out of luck.

You might try running a load of wash through prior to your MF but with no soap or softener to see if this can unclog the arteries. I try to schedule our "whites" using hot water through before washing my MF. After the "whites" load is done (which includes detergent, bleach and a little softener) I run it through another complete hot cycle without any detergent, bleach or softener. The first spin still has some residual suds in it. The final spin is pretty much suds free. The "whites" load that gets a bonus wash and rinse are always very clean, too.

8. Thanks kriskyk thanked for this post
    Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One more thing, are you spinning at maximum speed in whatever was washed prior to your MF? It makes a difference in wringing out any residual detergent.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually run my microfibers through 5 or 6 extra rinse cycles, or the rinse water is clear, whichever comes first. This is with a conventional top-loader.

On a side note, whenever I see a front loader and the scant amount of water they use, I wonder how they could even get anything clean, let alone completely rinsed.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of great recommendations. Since you're using a HE front loading machine I'd always select the largest load setting, even if you're not washing many towels.

Also, Micro-restore and 3D towel Kleen are far better at rinsing completely than the free & clear detergents I've tried. You could probably get away with using .5 ounces of either of these MF detergents in your HE machine which would make either an incredible value.

12. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why I got a top loader this time. Five times more wash and rinse water.

14. Likes ski2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I usually run my microfibers through 5 or 6 extra rinse cycles, or the rinse water is clear, whichever comes first. This is with a conventional top-loader.

On a side note, whenever I see a front loader and the scant amount of water they use, I wonder how they could even get anything clean, let alone completely rinsed.
    Front-loaders use a waterfall effect and run filtered water through the laundry. Top loaders just agitate the dirty water in an attempt to get it out of the clothes. The agitation of a front loader is far more effective in getting dirt and soil out of the fabric, too.

See: Should You Get a Front-Load or Top-Load Washing Machine?: Reviews by Wirecutter | A New York Times Company

There are many articles online describing the operation of front vs top loaders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast