autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Colorado Pickup

I recently purchased a new Chevy Colorado pick-up truck I was wondering how I should keep it up ? Wax, Sealant, Ceramic coat which one ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Colorado Pickup

Hard to say without knowing more such as:

- Color of truck
    - Where you live/weather conditions
    - Your level of interest and ability to spend time each week/month on caring for it

Maybe you are the type of owner who likes to spend an hour or so each week caring for their vehicle - where a wax is perfect. Or perhaps you have other obligations and interests and want to "set and forget it" in which case a coating or sealant would serve you better.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

It is Burgundy, I live in Michigan, I don't mind spending time to keep it up, right now I have a PC 7424 some Buff and Shine Pads, I have various compounds Meguiars, Poor Boys 1 & 2, I have Sonus and Collinite 845.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dynoguy View Post
    I recently purchased a new Chevy Colorado pick-up
    truck I was wondering how I should keep it up ?

Wax, Sealant, Ceramic coat which one ?
    ...Subscribed...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

What is done to that truck ???

Post Thanks / Like

It is Burgundy, I live in Michigan, I don't mind spending time to keep it up, right now I have a PC 7424 some Buff and Shine Pads, I have various compounds Meguiars, Poor Boys 1 & 2, I have Sonus and Collinite 845.
    Assuming it's brand new, so best to start with a good base. That means decontaminate the paint with Iron Remover and Clay bar. If you can't do both, at least clay bar the truck. Then assess the condition of the paint. At this stage a good polish may be in order to perfect the paint before applying your LSP. It is very unlikely you will need to compound a brand new truck. Then go ahead and apply Collinite 845 which is quite durable. Then you are really set up well for weekend 'maintenance mode' which would include a 2 bucket wash followed with a nice spray wax. Then before winter comes, repeat the initial process (decontamination, polish and Collinite 845) and that truck will stay really nice for a long time. Good luck and post pics when you get a chance.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

I like the looks of the Polish Angel products that AGO just started to offer. When the spring comes it's gonna be my first time useing it on my car. Since I have a Kia that is known for being on the softer side of hardness of the clearcoat. I wanted something with a longevity up to a year. So I got a kit with Polish Angel esclate lotion primer and Master Sealant and High Gloss. Depending on your trucks paint condition even if it's new and you think that it needs more than a finishing polish to correct it to the standard you want. If you don't need to more than a finishing polish you have abrasives in the esclate lotion primer that depending on cut in the pad you chose works like that. Then a benefit to use primer is you don't need to do a wipe down with a prep solution. They have 2 different coatings cosmic v2 and Viking Coat and I would get the kits so you get the Invicible Primer. Then they have bunch of toppers that you can play around with. The downside is that it's pricey but Polish Angel is a high end quality IMO.

This is just my personal preference and there is alot of awesome products to chose from. It's just to figure out what suits you and the kind of maintance you are willing to put in.

I would look into the decon prep wash for new cars and trucks. It's important to work with a clean surface to get great results. Then which products that suits your choice of lsp.

Post Thanks / Like

New Colorado Pickup-img_5845-jpg
    I bought a LT 4x4 in July, clayed, polished with Optimum Hyper Polish and coated with CQuartzUK.

9. Likes ScottH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is done to that truck ???
    •Wash w/Meguiar’s D114
    •SONAX Fallout Cleaner
    •Clay
    •Polish w/Meguiar’s M205
    •3M Imperial Hand Glaze
    •Field Testing w/non-AGO ‘Coating’

Note
    If I wasn’t “Field Testing”, I would
    have used Finish Kare 303 Glaze
    (instead of the 3M IHG); and followed
    that with Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Given that winter is not over in your area, I'd decontaminate and clay at the very least and then throw 845 on there for some type of protection until winter is over. You can correct it and do a full blown detail once the warmer weather comes. Hope this helps and post pics!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast