autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon booster questions

I have not used gyeon booster yet. I have read a lot of information of the fast flash time and difficulty knowing where you applied it. I have also seen people are using it differently some within 12 hours of a ceramic and other applying it months later. It is expensive so I have been hesitant has anyone done any side by side testing on a hood or panel?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gyeon booster questions

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    I have not used gyeon booster yet. I have read a lot of information of the fast flash time and difficulty knowing where you applied it. I have also seen people are using it differently some within 12 hours of a ceramic and other applying it months later. It is expensive so I have been hesitant has anyone done any side by side testing on a hood or panel?
    They just started a Gyeon specific forum, North American rep Jeff could give better specifics, perhaps post there as well.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...care-products/

I've used Booster, I quite enjoy it's 'quick' application characteristics. It's not so much an 'apply, wait until it flashes and buff off' proposition like most coatings, though. It flashes nearly immediately so it's sorta a 'faith based application' where ya just gotta 'believe' it's applied to a section after you do it. You can also get a pretty good idea by paying close attention to the 'feel' of a section. The surface will feel slicker after application as opposed to and unapplied section.

The product itself is a fluorine based, reactive Topcoat that provides improved water behavior/hydrophobic properties over something like Mohs by itself. As a 'reactive' topcoat, it actually interacts chemically with the base coating thus the preference to apply soon after the base coating for maximum effectiveness. While Gyeon states to apply within 1000 miles of base coating (I think) I prefer to include it as part of the base coating application, roughly 24hrs after final layer of base coat application.

Nice thing about the way Gyeon has (by design or coincidence?) structured their product line recently, you can mimic some of their pro-only offerings (albeit at lesser concentrations vs pro) by using Mohs + Booster to approximate pro-only Durabead or using the recent Gyeon Syncro to get a consumer-ish version if pro-only Duraflex. Syncro kit contains Mohs base + Skin topcoat, Skin being a silicone based, non reactive topcoat.

I like Booster for the way it improved water behavior of base Mohs which on it's own is a solid product but for some doesn't have the 'feel' or crazy apparent water behavior if some other things. Adds a tiny bit of extra gloss to Mohs as well.

Another option to top Mohs is with Gyeon CanCoat, it's a pretty wicked combination as well, easier and quicker to use than Booster. It will add the crazy water behavior, feel and more gloss than Booster, but likely not as integrated with the base Mohs as the reactive Booster would.

Perhaps think of Mohs + Booster as creating a single ''Super Mohs' coating while Mohs + CanCoat is more of a complimentary Mohs + 'Super CoatingTopper' affair.

Again, might wanna post your question in above mentioned Gyeon specific group. It's quite possible I have no idea what I'm talking about...it happens quite often.

3. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff also made a nice post over on Autopia that has a little info on Booster. In post #1 and again in post #7.

Intro to GYEON quartz Q2 Mohs

5. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would anyone apply a booster to a 12 hr old coating, LOL...an expensive one at that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon booster questions

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Why would anyone apply a booster to a 12 hr old coating, LOL...an expensive one at that.

For the same reason some people apply a dedicated sealant immediately after polishing with an AIO, then follow that up with carnauba wax... Redundancy.

Post Thanks / Like

It's barely cured, LOL. Your right though, people just like doing the same old same old I guess. Even I've gotten away from doing dozens of coats a yearGyeon booster questions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    It's barely cured, LOL. Your right though, people just like doing the same old same old I guess. Even I've gotten away from doing dozens of coats a yearGyeon booster questions

Well you buy a bunch of neat products, it’s hard not to want to use them.

Sometimes we buy different products with plans on using them in this situation or on “that 1 car”... But that 1 car isn’t exactly lined up for the foreseeable future and we want to try our new stuff. Lol.

10. Likes rangerbay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your right and I do have "toppers" that are coating approved, that's for sure but I waited many weeks before trying them out. These products can also be used as "stand alones" too and I thought about doing just that thus year, just to see how it would go but a new coating is going to be laid down by mid spring.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to top with my dads car. He washes his Rav 4 with a mop at times. I once caught him washing the Rav 4 with a bucket of clear water and a worn out short nap mop head my mom used to use to mop the floors with. I don't know if any manufacturers test for THAT kind of abuse. He also doesn't believe in drying since "Water will dry anyways why bother drying it." I'm frankly impressed if any LSP lasts more than a month on his car. Actually LSPs tend to last longer on his car when he doesn't try to "maintain" them himself.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx for replies every