autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need pointers on detailing a 14 foot camper

Hey guys,

something new for me, a client of mine wants me to wash and seal his camper.

I have never done that before so I have some questions regarding the process, time it takes and price.

He mentionned there is black streaking on the camper every year. What is that streaking and how do you clean it?
    I have watched a few videos in the past regarding campers and from what I can understand, the easiest way to go
    about this is to use Super Clean (or other degreaser) in a foam cannon, spray the surface then scrub with a brush on
    a pole. Is that correct? And will it remove the black streaking?

The client mentionned they have a cloth retractable roof. So I am thinking using an APC and a brush to clean that.
    What is the best protection to apply afterwards? Was thinking 3M Scotch Guard. Anything better suited?

Finally, what protection to apply? Since it's a reallly big surface to protect, I was thinking about a WOWA product would
    be best. But I am not sure.

Finally how long does it usually take to do all of that? And how much do you usually charge for it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need pointers on detailing a 14 foot camper

I guess it depends on what the black streaking is? Could be road tar, could be tree sap, could be a ton of different things. Have you tried cleaning it off yet? Does the client have any idea what it could be?

Post Thanks / Like

The black streaking is from the oxidation of alloy screws used to secure the panels. McKee's Black Streak Remover is the only thing I have found that will remove black streaks.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

The roof is usually rubber. It probably has mildew on it. I use a long handled microfiber mop to do the roof. I use APC.

Nothing short of painting the rubber trim will cure the pinkish mildew formed on rubber trim on trailers.

Some black plastidip paint will restore door handles that have turned white in the sun.

You will likely need to polish the aluminum trim.

The panels are usually gel coat so you will need a pretty aggressive polish or gel coat polish specifically. I use Mckee's and Meguiar's RV products for campers and boats because they are a different type surface than car paint.

Camper interiors are a specialty service that I don't get into. Leaks, mice, etc.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I just ordered McKee's RV Black Streak remover.

The client wants me to clean it, no mention of polishing.

What about pricing. How long can I expect to take to clean the whole thing without doing polishing of the gelcoat?

Post Thanks / Like

I recently washed and waxed this 36’ RV with a detailer friend of mine.

It took us an hour to scrub the roof, clean wheels and tires, and wash and wax it. We used McKee’s RV Wash & Wax Shampoo and rinsed with mineral free water, no need to dry.

We then spent some extra time cleaning the glass inside and out, and some other details.

The industry standard for a wash and wax is $10-$15 per foot.

McKee’s has a good black streak remover. It helps if you have a MF pad on a pole for washing. That way you don’t have to climb up and down a ladder.

Some use something like Hydro2 after the wash to seal. I want to give that a try next time. I think you’ll get more duration. Except I’ll probably use McKee’s Hydro Blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes topperjohn68 liked this post