autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post AIO Followed By Finishing Polish - Wipe Down/Off AIO Between The Two?

Hey guys, I know I've seen this answer before somewhere but it's been a challenge to find the info (for me) via the search feature.

My question is, if I'm using an AIO to do some light correction (using PF2500) and I want to do a round with a finishing polish (looking to buy 3D HD+ today), is it required/recommended to wipe the PF2500 off the paint before I do a run with the 3D HD+ and a fresh finish pad? I believe I had read before that you could just run the finishing polish over the paint but part of my broken logic thinks that you may just be spreading/mixing the two together and thus not getting the same effectiveness with running the 3D HD+ on "clean" paint. It doesn't take much time to wipe the panels down with a towel, but if I'm doing "extra" work when I don't have to then I'll skip that step. After the finishing polish I'll hit it with Wolfgang Perfect Prep then followup with a ceramic coat.

Post Thanks / Like

AIO Followed By Finishing Polish - Wipe Down/Off AIO Between The Two?

You’re asking for trouble laying down a AIO right before a coating, even if you’re going to use the paint prep. There’s a chance it won’t completely come off with it being just applied.

Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AIO Followed By Finishing Polish - Wipe Down/Off AIO Between The Two?

I was going to apply the finishing polish after the AIO. I know that Menzurna products typically are oil-based. Would doing the finishing polish + the paint prep not ensure I don't have issues with the AIO? Or, what am I supposed to do after using the AIO but before putting ceramic coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ralphsmithiii View Post
    I was going to apply the finishing polish after the AIO. I know that Menzurna products typically are oil-based. Would doing the finishing polish + the paint prep not ensure I don't have issues with the AIO? Or, what am I supposed to do after using the AIO but before putting ceramic coating?
    If it was me I’d skip using the AIO altogether in this case. After all, you don’t need the sealant/wax portion of it [you’re planning on trying to remove it immediately after laying it down] + any polishing will be more than taken care of with the finishing polish you plan on using.

What exact benefits are you hoping to gain by using the AIO? It seems like it’s only purpose would be to create more work and uncertainty.

5. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    If it was me I’d skip using the AIO altogether in this case. After all, you don’t need the sealant/wax portion of it [you’re planning on trying to remove it immediately after laying it down] + any polishing will be more than taken care of with the finishing polish you plan on using.
    Not only are you asking for trouble like Eldorado described, but you are working backwards with the abrasives as well. The AIO's I've used are LESS abrasive than a finishing polish since they were never designed with a focus on doing any real correction of the paint. Your process would take you to a more aggressive product rather than less. Not only that, but PF2500 is a medium grade polish whereas 3500 or 3800 are the finishing polishes for Menzerna.

Go with Eldorado's advice. Use a real polish to do the correction and leave the AIO out completely.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

as others have said skip the AIO step..stick with polishing then proper IPA wipedown to remove all the oils left behind from polishing step to ensure you get proper bonding of ceramic coating..AIO are for light correction and some protection..
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...Ok I must of misunderstood the products. So, the Mezurna PF2500 is an AIO that is designed to: Menzerna Medium Cut Polish 2500 is made for the OEM market as a quick way to polish out light flaws and amplify the paint’s gloss. It has the cutting ability just a step below Super Intensive. This will remove moderate to mild swirls, water spots, and light scratches. Then Menzerna Medium Cut Polish 2500 does something amazing – it burnishes the paint to an ultra high gloss, like you’d expect from Nano Polish.

So, if I had very well maintained paint with light swirls, I shouldn't be using this AIO? Originally, I was using Megs 105/205 for heavy compounding then 205 to polish. But the 205 is leaving some light micro marring on this particular vehicle. I switched over to the bottle of SF2500 and it was a night and day difference in both the micro marring and overall polish/gloss. Note: I did not use 105 as this car didn't need it.

Are you guys saying that AIO's are "junk" essentially? I've had great results before but if I'm doing it wrong and/or could have much better results then that's awesome. I just want to make sure I'm understanding what I'm doing with the right products.

TL;DR - If I need light paint correct on a hard clear (2010 ZR1 Corvette), which products should I be using?

Post Thanks / Like

Or, now that I'm thinking about it, the finishing polish is what I may be not understanding correctly. SF2500 takes out 2500 grit marks and the Blackfire SRC Finishing polish I have takes out 3000 (I believe). 3000 is finer than 2500, correct? I assumed that if I wanted that "Extra" finish to clean up any left over swirls or anything light, than the SRC finishing polish would do so. But, from what you guys are saying that's not correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ralphsmithiii View Post

Are you guys saying that AIO's are "junk" essentially?
    No ones saying AIO’s are junk, but there’s a percentage of their final result that’s filling in blemishes and making it look as good as it does upon completion. That’s the natural side effect of its built in wax component.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok gotcha. What would you recommend if I wanted to perform a light polish and to end with a ceramic coating?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast