autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Easiest to use Glass Coating

I recently got a brand new car, its a 2018 VW Golf GTI in Dark Iron Blue. I maintain my own cars but due to some life circumstances and the desire to get XPEL installed on the car I opted for a detailer I trust to ceramic coat the car as well apply a 2 year ceramic coating.

Anyways I want to coat the glass.... but I'm a bit afraid that it will cause significant streaking or other problems. I applied rainx to a older car many years ago and it was a nightmare. Are there any good coatings that are easier to use that will let me not need to use my wipers as much? I'd like some feedback on a good product. The car has 1k miles so I don't think a clay on the class is even necessary, maybe my first real wash I will spray a iron remover on it, although I know the car was chemically decontaminated when I paid for the ceramic coat and xpel. I wanted to also add that I have a pretty big bottle of Carpro Hydro2 that I purchased for my wheels as a sacrifical layer, as well as to try out on a non ceramic coated car I own.. Would this suffice on the glass or not worth it? I also bought carpro ech2o

Here is a photo of the car.

Easiest to use Glass Coating-39732078005_ecb5fec813_z-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Easiest to use Glass Coating

If applied correctly, rain x should not have any streaking. You could also try Aquapel, or just a simple spray wax on the windows.

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Use some 3D eraser gel and a magic eraser to clean off the windows. Let it dwell for no longer than 1 minute. That will remove most everything including any hard water spotting. Give it a quick pass with a polisher if you feel necessary.

On my personal cars I no longer use a glass coating and instead use Rust Oleum's NeverWet for Glass. Works great and lasts for weeks. Super easy on/off too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a number of glass sealants and coatings. The best overall glass coating I have used is the "Optimum Opti-Glass Coating" as it has the best durability vs wiper blades compared to other coatings. But stuff like the McKee’s 37 Glass Coating is so easy to apply I can do it once a month or so and I am fine. And if it does rain it lasts much longer. CarPro FORTE had some of the best water reaction but it didn't last very long for me.

Really if you are willing to do the work a glass sealant is just as good. I find that the real key is keeping the glass clean. I like to wipe down the windows every few day ans sometimes every day depending on rain and pollen. I have also found that use Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect glass cleaner help to maintain many of these coatings.

• RainX
    • Pinnacle GlassCoat Window Sealant with Rain Repellent
    • Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating
    • McKee’s 37 Glass Coating
    • Wolfs Glass Gaurd
    • CarPro FlyBy30
    • CarPro FORTE
    • Optimum Opti-Glass Coating

5. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 for McKee's Glass Coating. I also apply it once a month during the rainy season. Very easy to use.

McKee's 37 Glass Coating, glass sealant, rain repellent

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

I have used a number of glass sealants and coatings. The best overall glass coating I have used is the "Optimum Opti-Glass Coating" as it has the best durability vs wiper blades compared to other coatings. But stuff like the McKee’s 37 Glass Coating is so easy to apply I can do it once a month or so and I am fine. And if it does rain it lasts much longer. CarPro FORTE had some of the best water reaction but it didn't last very long for me.

Really if you are willing to do the work a glass sealant is just as good. I find that the real key is keeping the glass clean. I like to wipe down the windows every few day ans sometimes every day depending on rain and pollen. I have also found that use Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect glass cleaner help to maintain many of these coatings.

• RainX
    • Pinnacle GlassCoat Window Sealant with Rain Repellent
    • Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating
    • McKee’s 37 Glass Coating
    • Wolfs Glass Gaurd
    • CarPro FlyBy30
    • CarPro FORTE
    • Optimum Opti-Glass Coating

Post Thanks / Like

Although technically not a "coating," another great glass cleaner/protectant product is Polish Angel Diver. It's not inexpensive, but very little goes a long way and it is very easy to work with. I use it as a "coating light" type of product. First, clean your glass with a glass cleaner that does not leave anything behind - Sonax Glass Cleaner is a good choice, then apply Diver as a follow up step to add a layer of protection. Super easy to use, good durability, and the beading is incredible.

Polish Angel Diver

If you prefer to go with an actual coating, Mckee's 37 would be my choice. Also very easy to use and good performance.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried PBL Glass Coating for the first time, on my wife’s car a few weeks ago. I understand it is probably similar in application as McKee’s. It went on fairly easy, but I’m hoping it lasts more than a month or two given the prep work (glass polish)... otherwise RainX usually lasts a month or more for me so I will just stick with that if there’s no significant improvement in longevity with the glass coating.

Post Thanks / Like

McKees 37
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for McKees37. I just used it this weekend on 2 cars with stellar results. It's very easy to apply and removal is a breeze.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Carpro Reload mixed with Ech2o. This will refresh the “coating “ every time you clean the glass. Basic window prep is all that is needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast