autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Adhesive from Clear Bra

Hello all. I'm looking for advice on how to remove the adhesive left over from a clear bra covering half the hood and the front bumper. I (carefully) used a heavy duty McCulloch steamer to remove the clear bra, and the bumper portion came off easily leaving no adhesive residue behind. However, the hood portion was a real pain getting the plastic off and a thick layer of adhesive remained. My process for removing the adhesive is as follows: steam small area, rub MF towel with 3M specialty adhesive sprayed on the towel, and, if necessary, follow with a plastic razor blade. I've got about 3 hours into this and not much progress--at this rate it'll be days to finish. Any recommendations on how to safely speed this up?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Adhesive from Clear Bra

Supposedly a mf cloth drenched in adhesive remover (or other solvent of your preference) and laid a few minutes over/on the residue should loosen it enough, so that you can mostly wipe the latter off, with minimal force.

As for avoiding leaving a residue back on the paint, it is recommended that you use a plastic razor in the first place when removing the clear bra, and also try to pull the bra not backwards (as in the direction where you still haven't touched the clear bra yet, forcing it to take a shape of a V, where the valley/bottom of the V is where you're just about pull it off from the paint), but rather pull it only slight upwards (almost parallel) in the opposite direction, where you've already peeled off the bra. This should put less strain on the surface in general, and prevent the bra and the glue from separating.

This method also lowers the change of you pulling the paint off with the bra, in case it has been improperly applied or touched up at some places.

Post Thanks / Like

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner.

I always keep a quart on hand.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itsgn View Post
    Supposedly a mf cloth drenched in adhesive remover (or other solvent of your preference) and laid a few minutes over/on the residue should loosen it enough, so that you can mostly wipe the latter off, with minimal force.

As for avoiding leaving a residue back on the paint, it is recommended that you use a plastic razor in the first place when removing the clear bra, and also try to pull the bra not backwards (as in the direction where you still haven't touched the clear bra yet, forcing it to take a shape of a V, where the valley/bottom of the V is where you're just about pull it off from the paint), but rather pull it only slight upwards (almost parallel) in the opposite direction, where you've already peeled off the bra. This should put less strain on the surface in general, and prevent the bra and the glue from separating.

This method also lowers the change of you pulling the paint off with the bra, in case it has been improperly applied or touched up at some places.
    Okay, I'll try leaving the cloth on the adhesive before rubbing. Unfortunately, I actually followed all of the above instructions to a tee (saw a helpful youtube clip), but it seems like the bra on the hood was just baked on!

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner.

I always keep a quart on hand.
    Is this stronger than the 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover that I'm currently using?

Thanks for the replies!

Post Thanks / Like

When I remove mine from the hood, I used Tarminator and a microfiber towel followed by a IPA wipe down.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the replies. In addition to the products to remove adhesive already listed in this thread, can anyone vouch for Citrol and/or Rapid Remover? I saw these mentioned in other posts. Bottom line is I need to bring out the nukes for this job.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used citrol for all kinds of car cleaning. It works well as a adhesive remover. I don't know how it compares to other products for adhesive removal. I've used it to remove water spots, bugs, tar, it's a great multi use product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris87 View Post
    Is this stronger than the 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover that I'm currently using?
    I wouldn't say stronger, just different. 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover was developed with different solvents to be a more VOC compliant alternative in areas that have restrictions. I like it better and have used both. I've stuck with the general purpose one simply because it's readily available near me.

Another alternative is Alaphatic Naptha aka zippo fluid. It won't hurt paint and honestly by the smell of it, the 3M General Purpose stuff smells like it's Naptha or Xylene.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

RAPID REMOVER worked. Took the gunk right off where the 3M Adhesive Remover was worthless. Amazing product, total lifesaver.

Amazon.com: RAPID REMOVER Adhesive Remover for Vinyl Wraps Graphics Decals Stripes 32oz Sprayer: Automotive