autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Central texas road film how to remove

Hello all, the road spray after a rain leaves a film on my white vehicle that is very hard to remove.

Film turns a redish color and looks like it maybe be from iron in the soil.

Any ideas on how to remove?

I am working on detailing the vehicle in order to seal the paint surface.

Vehicle is a 2002.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Central texas road film how to remove

The road surface is full of contaminants, both from the road material itself, and also because of cars leaving back residues of fuel, oil, metals, and also rubber from the tires. When it's raining, all this dirt gets partially solved/floating in the rain water, and then it gets splashed onto your vehicle, where it sticks.

In order to remove these contaminants you can use CarPro IronX+TarX, or TRIX (which combines the former two into one), which will dissolve/loosen iron and tar particles. Once that's done, you need to rinse and wash the car. If you haven't done it in a while, you might also want to clay the paint to get off the embedded contaminants, that can not be removed by a regular wash cycle anymore.

However, if you have serious amount of dirt sticking regularly to your paint, then this will obviously only treat the symptoms, not the cause. The solution in this case could be polish the car and apply a ceramic coating. This will reduce the amount of contaminants that can stick to the paint in the first place, and will make it easier to remove the ones, that still do.

3. Thanks fuchsjhf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A sealant will protect it just fine as well. [after you’ve done the recommended steps mentioned to clean the paint] The polishing step is optional.

Mike Phillips

Welcome to the AGO forum....

The red staining color could be an indicator of iron staining... hard to tell until you try an iron remover. If it is iron staining and you do try an iron remover you'll know instantly that was the problem.

Check out these articles for more info...

What is Iron X and why should I use it?

Iron X - Bleeding like a stuck pig

Mike Phillips

Here's one of my favorite articles, the pictures and the description of what takes place to our cars says it all...

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Another rainy day somewhere on planet Earth

Road Film
    Road film is the oily film splattered all over your car when you drive in the rain.

Where does Road Film come from?

Oils and other fluids that drip out of cars, truck and suvs accumulate on roads and highways over time.

When it rains, these accumulated oils and other fluids mix with the rain and are then splattered all over your car in effect staining you're entire car from top to bottom. The highest concentration of road film accumulates on your wheels, tires and lower body panels.

Motor Oil, Transmission Fluid, Gear Oil and other fluids

These outlined areas show where fluids have dripped off engines and transmission, even radiators and accumulated to the point that the pavement has been permanently stained.

It's also on roads and highways...

The oil stain line that runs down the middle of the road...

7. Likes Robbiek liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's a few articles that share various ways to remove road film...

Here's why you need to polish paint...

Dirt in Paint or DIP - Stained Paint - Dirt Embedded Paint

Here's the picture, not the difference in the color of green on either side of the black line...

The car above is Wayne Carini's 1953 Hudson

How to remove stains and embedded dirt out of paint

The dirt you see on the pad in my hand... (the pad started out white)

Came from this CLEARCOATED car...

The paint is clear and the brownish color is years of dirt staining that builds up ON the paint and doesn't wash off. It does come off when you use a compound, polish or cleaner/wax.

How to clay, clean and wax paint by hand with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax

While claying will remove above surface bonded contaminants, Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will remove embedded road grime and pollutants as you can see when we compare the applicator pad we used to a brand new, clean applicator pad.

The Lesson White Paint Teaches Us

9. Thanks fuchsjhf thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any updates on new products to use for paint cleansing. I’m always surprised when using AIO product how much dirt is on the pad

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by pharden View Post

Any updates on new products to use for paint cleansing.
    Well you could use a dedicated paint cleaner, this would be a non-abrasive lotion type product that you can apply by hand or machine and it will gently clean the surface of the paint.

If I needed a product like a paint cleaner instead I would simply use either a fine-cut polish or a cleaner/wax. You get ALL the benefits of the paint cleaner plus defect removal and in the case of a cleaner/wax you get protection.

Quote Originally Posted by pharden View Post

I’m always surprised when using AIO product how much dirt is on the pad
    Yep... and that's my point about any daily driver including those with ceramic paint coatings. When a car is exposed to the world it gets a dirt film build up, the kind that normal washing won't remove. The more time that goes by the more exposure the great the build-up.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your advice. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app