autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee’s 37 Tire Coating cracked

Hello

i spent a whole day cleaning and prepping my tires exactly as the instructions said. I applied two coats and after the first drive all the tire coating cracked! Any thoughts? Will the tire rejuvenator remove the coating...not too impressed..

thanks

-M

-df057dc3-3ba2-448f-bcf1-cea42db02c32-jpg

-c3cd976d-ce6e-4036-857a-20fe8a4d30ad-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee’s 37 Tire Coating cracked

Quote Originally Posted by managerman View Post
    Hello

i spent a whole day cleaning and prepping my tires exactly as the instructions said. I applied two coats and after the first drive all the tire coating cracked! Any thoughts? Will the tire rejuvenator remove the coating...not too impressed..

thanks

-M

My guess is that their were oxidents still left on the surface

Not sure what McKee recommend for prep, bit next time use paint thinner and or laquer thinner as a prep

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO.

A couple questions for you.

How new or old are these tires? Were you using tire dressing prior to using the tire coating?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Welcome to AGO.

A couple questions for you.

How new or old are these tires? Were you using tire dressing prior to using the tire coating?
    Hello

Tires are fairly new. About 500 miles. They had zero tire dressing on them as I knew I wanted to try the coating.

Thanks

-M

Post Thanks / Like

So you used the McKee's Tire Cleaner & Rejuvinator? Whether you did or not, at least I hope you used a strong APC such as Tuf Shine or Bleche-Wite and scrubbed the tires until all browning foam was gone and nothing but white foam remained. Should be basically white glove clean for a coating to work the best. Three possibilities in my mind. One is that your tires are still pretty new and could have some mold lubricant that leached out. Two, it wasn't properly cleaned -- enough. Three, bad batch. Also - Michelin tires stink when it comes to coatings and dressings. Several sets of Michilens myself.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where you live but is it possible it was too cold when you applied it.

7. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They’re Michelins. Nuff said.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello

Tires are fairly new. About 500 miles. They had zero tire dressing on them as I knew I wanted to try the coating.

Thanks

-M
    Kevin makes some valid points in his post. I experienced the same thing with new tires. Nick recommended to drive on the tires without dressing but to simply clean them for a few weeks. After that the tires can be coated to ensure they bond properly. I will link this recent post that has my comments and a link to my review thread on the tire coating. In the review thread there is a link on how to remove the tire coating.

Try the tire cleaner first and if all else fails you will have to do what I did to remove the fresh coating.

Tire Coating

Post Thanks / Like

Hello

thanks

-M

IDK it happened to me the first time I used it too. I find applying it with detail brush makes a big diffrence

Post Thanks / Like

I find that this coating does not do well if applied in cold temperatures. I wouldn't do it unless it was over 60 degrees outside or in your garage. Warmer the better. If they were that new they probably still have the tire mold release product on them. That stuff won't make the M37 Tire cleaner turn dirty color. You'll get white foam and think they are clean. Driving on them for 2-3 weeks and giving them a clean each week will get rid of it as already mentioned. If you do not want to wait. Spraying Stoner's Tarminator on a MF and wiping a cleaned tire will take it off. Switch to a new face of the MF towel as it becomes black. You will want to throw the towel away afterwards, so use a cheapo. Give the tires another cleaning with the cleaner afterwards.

Learned this from Phil @ DD a few years ago. I have prepped 4 sets of brand new tires on my own cars this way. 2 sets had zero miles on them. I had the M37 Tire Coating last way past 6 months on all of them prepped this way. I have used this prep method on customer car tires where the age, mileage and previous dressing history was unknown when I was trying to sell the tire coating a small upgrade charge, but I do not know how well it lasted. I stopped using it on customer cars and just use the M37 coating on my own car tires now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast