autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried the Big Red Sponge today...

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest45 View Post
    Blue and Red sponges are very different. The blue is much more firm with much larger cells. The BRS is softer with very small cells.

I'm sure optimum and retailers are doing well with the BRS but there is an obvious quality difference between the two.

The BRS is actually softer on the paint than microfiber. It's supposed to be primarily an applicator rather than a scrub tool.
    1. This Blue Sponge is actually alot softer than I expected, after hearing so much about how firm and coarse it supposedly was.

2. I’m sure they are too, that’s a given since they’re only charging 4x the amount of the Blue 1. It’s easy money. Lol.

3. It better be a hell of alot more than just an applicator or else I’m gonna rip it a new 1 in my review. I’ve got plenty of spray bottles that do more than fine at applying waterless/rinseless wash solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tried the Big Red Sponge today...

I ordered the BRS and had received it recently so Tuesday I decided to give it a try on my not too dirty car. Had probably only been a week since it was washed last and we haven't gotten any real snow near me and definitely not enough to throw salt so any salt residue that may have been on the car was just leftover dust from the stuff that had been on the ground for a while

Anyways I was pretty pleased. I was shocked at how smoothly it went across the paint especially considering my car hasn't been clayed in a little over a year and isn't sealed or coated or anything like that (will be doing a contamination, polish and seal when the weather warms up) Anyways as I said very smooth. I pre soaked with a bottle of ONR that was filled just from my bucket mixture. I always pre soak whether it's filthy or just a bit dusty. Went over a panel with one side of the sponge and flipped to the other side and went over again. Took a damp MF towel that was misted with ONR and went over it and then followed with a final waffle weave drying towel.

After using the sponge and going over the paint with the damp microfiber I wasn't picking up much dirt at all. There were some spots where the towel picked up some noticeable dirt but as a whole not bad at all. The final pass with the waffle weave I only picked up a tiny bit of dirt on one pass. I assume I had probably just missed a small spot when washing.

Now I've only used it once so I can't sit here and say definitely that it's the only way I'll ever use ONR again BUT if I continue to get the same results in the future it will be.

3. Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had posted on the optimum Facebook group on a post about the sponge, saturation levels, and it picking up dirt, and Yvan was kind enough to respond (albeit with stuff I’d heard him say before, but it was nice to get some confirmation from him nonetheless.)

He always drives home the point to have it just in the verge of dripping, although I think it could be beneficial to expand and add that if the sponge is too saturated with solution it’ll have no capacity to pick up dirt.. which might seem obvious to some, but my take away was just that it was a waste of product and made a mess. Never occurred to me it had a functional purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes FrankS, gti14, tmdals0213 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So how long do I have to pre soak the sponge before I use it? Just overnight is ok?

Post Thanks / Like

Overnight is good.

Are you using uber?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest45 View Post
    Overnight is good.

Are you using uber?
    That’s D114 in that bucket. How does that pair with it? Should I have used Uber?

9. Thanks DMiglio thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    That’s D114 in that bucket. How does that pair with it? Should I have used Uber?
    You will get a lot of suds with the sponge with D114 and N914. D114 and N914 clean better than ONR but ONR encapsulates dirt better.

No clue on Uber.

11. Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Overnight is good. I soaked my BRS two nights just simply because that's when I got around to using it.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, 'overnight' is a waste of time. Mix up your product, throw the sponge in and let it sit it sit for a few minutes, squeeze it a bit under water and then start using it. Even if the sponge is not totally wet (which, in reality, it will be), you're never going to press hard enough on the sponge to matter. Also, you're going to squeeze out MUCH of the water anyway (so the sponge has the Optimum (pun intended) amount of water to pickup dirt and not just flood the area (which doesn't work that well)), not only does the water fall off the sponge, the squeeze forces water into the center of the sponge.

Here in salty Boston area, I've taken to spraying down a side of the car w/ a 2x ONR Rinseless dilution to get much of the crud off, then UWW+ as my Rinseless, then a finish w/ ECH2O/Reload light spray (QD) for drying and shine.

YMMV

14. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Best post here so far, first sentence is spot on!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast