autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First detailing session advice required

Planning to detail my 5 years old daily drive red colour car. Since this is my first detailing session need some advice from experts. I have already done my homework and procure products (except glaze).

Wash: Meguiar’s Nxt
    Clay : Bilt Hamber AutoClay Medium
    Tar/Iron : Carpro Trix
    Wash: Meguiar’s Nxt
    Compound: 3m perfect-it with DA polisher
    Polish : 3m perfect-it with DA polisher
    Glaze : poorboys Black hole
    Sealant : Wolfgang Deep gloss
    Wax: Dodo juice orange crush (after a month)

I have a question here, will the glaze and sealant work together, or do i need IPA wipe down after applying glaze to bond sealant properly.

Will the IPA wipe down defeat the purpose of applying glaze confused over here, but i need good gloss over the paint.

Please feel free to correct my steps.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First detailing session advice required

Probably most would advise as well as I, to skip the Glaze Step if you are going to Polish the paint. That with the right Polish, Pads and Technique you should be able to extract the highest degree of Gloss from your paint without resorting-needing a Glaze.

As far as your choices of Polish Brand-Type, I cannot honestly comment on them to be of help, and to say that these will work optimally for you and your paint, and the condition that it is in, I just don't know?

I will say that I, as most others would suggest, would be to use as least aggressive a polishing product as you can get away with to remove swirling, hazing, fine scratches and to finish out properly as possible.

The test spot is the initial key to eliminate guesswork, and thus you start at the least aggressive products and polishing pads first, and go from there. Aggressive Polishes may quickly remove damage, but also may leave you with marring-clouding and that it may cause you to have to perform yet another complete finish polish step again to get desired final results.

In other words it will be two times that the entire vehicle would have to be done, and that doesn't sound like fun to me. Sometimes though, it is unavoidable, dependent upon the degree of paint damage and its condition that are present.

I might be biased, but as for a finishing polish that is easy to get, reasonable in cost, works superbly, applies and removes easily, and many use and like this product, that would be Meguiars #205. Commonly sold in quart beige bottles, besides being sold here, many of the big box auto parts stores and even many wally world stores sells it.

I myself might be starting there, with something like Lake Country White Polishing Pads first before using a heavier compound type product first.

Hope this helps

3. Thanks blackhunter thanked for this post
    Likes blackhunter, buzzstrength liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not that Poor Boys World Black Hole Glaze is not a great product, because it is, I have used it and will say it is outstanding.

Such a glaze will hide minor damage, feed the paint and bring gloss, but it is only temporary. I would say one advantage to using such a product would be a paint that is mighty thin, that it cannot survive many more polishing attempts without taking paint to primer.

If you are going to use WGDGPS 3.0 as the LSP protectant, you will be awesomely pleased at the dripping wet gloss and mirror-like reflections it will provide.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank MarkD51 for your quick reply, really appreciate your effort to pen down.

Attached the condition of my paint, i have only applied 3m (less durable) synthetic wax till now.

Even if i skipped the glaze session, should i use IPA between M205 and wolfgang deep gloss.

Attachment 62117
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First detailing session advice required-image4-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

The paint looks pretty good. May not even need a compounding step. But that's without seeing the paint with a good light source (the sun) reflecting off of it.

7. Thanks blackhunter thanked for this post
    Likes blackhunter liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes the paint has swirl marks which can be seen in direct sun, but the CA duster & my procedure responsible for the same.

Post Thanks / Like

The 3M perfect it polishes are meant for Rotaries if I remember right so I don't think it'll finish too well on a D/A. I could be wrong, but I don't use 3M products. For Polishes, I always recommend Sonax. Cut and finish for one step, Cutmax as a compound, and Perfect Finish as the polish. Don't bother glazing, if you corrected your paint properly a glaze is just someones Christmas bonus. Meguiars 205 is a great finishing polish, but if your paint is super soft you'll have to dilute it half half with distilled water to cut down on the aggressiveness.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

10. Thanks blackhunter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackhunter View Post
    Thank MarkD51 for your quick reply, really appreciate your effort to pen down.

Attached the condition of my paint, i have only applied 3m (less durable) synthetic wax till now.

Even if i skipped the glaze session, should i use IPA between M205 and wolfgang deep gloss.

Attachment 62117
    Paint looks pretty decent to me.

Naw, if it was me, I'd probably skip an IPA wipe in between polish and sealant. That if there would be any loss of longevity, you'd be looking at probably a mere few days difference.

If you never used WGDGPS 3.0, trust me, you're going to love it. A fantastic product, works so nice, comes off so easy and cleanly, and the look and gloss grows with curing some hours after.

12. Thanks blackhunter thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys ordered WGDGPS from Autogeek day 1 sale, waiting for the product.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Your in for a treat, great stuff!