autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Quick pad question

So I recently used several pads polishing and waxing my new car and realized when I placed my big newby order, I forgot one important item.....pad and microfiber cleaner. So I jumped online just to order that and $300 later checked out. Received it today and am wondering a few things. It’s been about a week or two since using the pads. What process do I need to use to clean pads that have set up? Also on towels, I have some i use on wheels, rocker panels, engine, exhaust, etc then others I use on glass, paint and what not. Do I need to wash them separate or no? Machine dry or hang dry? Foam pads by the way. The cleaner I bought is 3D towelkleen. Thanks in advance!! If it wasn’t for this community i would be lost as a goose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick pad question

I use/like PoorBoys Tornado cleaner (have one or two others 'waiting' like the LC powder) but this is cheap and easy since I only use pads a couple of times a year.

I do wash 'utility' towels separately from the super plush one I use on paint. I will often pre-treat them w/a spritz of Opti PowerClean 1:3 which really gets all the junk out. And, as Mr. Phillips says, any towel that touches paint gets checked for embedded particles before hitting the paint.

Machine dry on delicate

Post Thanks / Like

For pads, just follow the instructions. Spray with cleaner, let dwell, brush, rinse thoroughly. I've let pads sit over a month and they clean up fine with the right cleaner.

For towels, I would wash the severe duty ones separately, or prewash. Sometimes I just throw them out if they're bad enough, but I'm using cheapo Costco towels for the really dirty work.

Wash with Tide Free or equivalent, add 4 oz of white vinegar to the second rinse, and dry on low or no heat. The low heat on my dryer is pretty hot, so I get them heated up for 5 mins and then put it on no heat.

All my opinion. I'm not a pro but above works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Thanks mattmann thanked for this post
    Likes mattmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just reread your post. You might want to consider a dedicated pad cleaner. And do you have a pad brush? I use both. Not sure if Towelkleen is as aggressive as a pad cleaner. I have Blackfire and it's pretty strong stuff.

6. Thanks mattmann thanked for this post
    Likes mattmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
    Just reread your post. You might want to consider a dedicated pad cleaner. And do you have a pad brush? I use both. Not sure if Towelkleen is as aggressive as a pad cleaner. I have Blackfire and it's pretty strong stuff.

Awesome man. Thanks for the advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I recently picked up some Poor Boys Tornado Pad Cleaner and used it on previously used pads that hadn't come out as clean as I would like. The Poor Boys cleaned them right up...great product, and priced cheaper than many of the others.