autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Pad Adhesive

Post Thanks / Like

Pad Adhesive

Hi folks. So a friend called to say that her son's 2007 Jeep Wrangler needed some work. He's 16. Seems he went to the movies and some "friends" covered his Jeep with Maxipads... That's right. Pads. Lol. So. In his haste he just ripped them all off his Jeep leaving the adhesive from the pad on the Jeep.

When it warms a little we will correct the whole Jeep.but for now I would like to help get the adhesive off. I was this king 3M Adhesive Remover and or Goo Gone some plastic blades maybe and maybe a hair dryer.

Anyone suggest anything else? Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad Adhesive

For glue, the 2 products I can suggest are 3M adhesive remover (spray can) and Orange degreasers like Citrol. Otherwise you can also use Goo-Gone but it is much less effective.

Heat also helps but it's not as effective as chemicals.

If you can get your hands on 3M adhesive remover, just spray the area, wait 5 seconds then rub gently and the glue should completelly disolve. When it does, wipe gently off using a microfiber towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    For glue, the 2 products I can suggest are 3M adhesive remover (spray can) and Orange degreasers like Citrol. Otherwise you can also use Goo-Gone but it is much less effective.

Heat also helps but it's not as effective as chemicals.

If you can get your hands on 3M adhesive remover, just spray the area, wait 5 seconds then rub gently and the glue should completelly disolve. When it does, wipe gently off using a microfiber towel.
    Thanks Calendyr. Luckily I do have some. Half a can maybe. Lol. I thought that might help.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

My buddies did this to me years ago in high school. Only put them on the wheels, but the dang stuff was a bear to remove. I ended up using a plastic scraper , coupled with 3m adhesive remover and goof off for the tough spots.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by subyfan View Post
    My buddies did this to me years ago in high school. Only put them on the wheels, but the dang stuff was a bear to remove. I ended up using a plastic scraper , coupled with 3m adhesive remover and goof off for the tough spots.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Thanks Subyfan... lol... with friends like that who needs... well you know... it really was meant to be a 'funny prank' for they really were friends but they didn't 'think' about what it would leave on there...

I do have some plastic blades and 3M and "goo gone" and even some 'special' adhesive remover for people... it was when I had my Doberman's ears cropped (yeah i know... sorry folks) and needed to get the 'glue' from the tape off his ears... can't remember the name but I do have that too I just remembered...

I was just wanting to not do more damage so to speak... will tackle it this weekend then correct when it's warmer...

thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead and prepare yourself that you'll likely need to compound/polish out whatever scratches or swirls that are left behind, because I assure you that there will be some. On a more related note, had my friends put these on the actual PAINT, they may have lasting injuries from my reaction! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

That is an unusual service request! I thought this was going to be about trying to repair the Velcro backing coming off pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    That is an unusual service request! I thought this was going to be about trying to repair the Velcro backing coming off pads.

Right!... i thought it was a nice play on words!...

9. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by subyfan View Post
    Go ahead and prepare yourself that you'll likely need to compound/polish out whatever scratches or swirls that are left behind, because I assure you that there will be some. On a more related note, had my friends put these on the actual PAINT, they may have lasting injuries from my reaction! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm prepared for that. I can see from the pics that the paint needs it anyway. He's a good kid. He is the son of my best friend who was killed in a car accident 5 or 6 years ago. He got this jeep with the money he got from his dad's death. So yeah, for what the jeep means to him in that regards, i'm surprised too a little! I might not have been so kind either... lol

thanks again for the feedback.