autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Equipment & Supplies "Your Thoughts"

Good afternoon everyone,

Well after a lot of reading, research, & your feedback I'm thinking of purchasing the equipment & supplies listed below. I'm a rookie, have never used a DA before. What are you're thoughts?

Brand
    • Griot's Garage 6" HD Random Orbital
    • Griot's Garage 5" Vented Backing Plate
    • Lake Country 5.5" (Orange)
    • Lake Country 5.5" (White)
    • Lake Country 5.5" (Red)
    • Griot's Garage Complete Compound
    • Griot's Garage Complete Polish
    • Wolfgand Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
    • Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax (Liquid)
    • Microfiber All Purpose & Wheel Detailing + Mit (16 x 24)
    • Waffle Weave MF Glass Towel (16 x 24)
    • Supreme Guzzler Waffe Weave (20 x 40) Drying
    • Forrest Green Edgeless Polishing Cloth (cmpnd, wx, plsh removal) 16 x 16

Or should I purchase the Griot's pads? Anything else that I'm missing or that you recommend?

Thank you all in advance for your patience and feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Equipment & Supplies "Your Thoughts"

Hi. I'm sure there will be many pros (i'm in the hobbyist category) and folks that will chime in but since I have a second before I clock out, I'll give a little 2 cents worth. I read that GG paste wax comes off easier. As far as pads go, orange and white for sure... if you apply wax by hand then sure, give the red a try. As for the number... way more than 1... think 1 pad per panel. I can say from experience that that little tip really helps. It's a good start... maybe think of gallons of something... a little cheaper and can last longer. Think a good degreaser and APC... McKee's or Optimum or Meguiar's. Nice start though and as started, others will chime in...

3. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Likes azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good choice on the polisher and the backplate. In my book that is the best 1st polisher you can get.

For the pads, you don't have any cutting pads. So if you are planning on doing actual paint correction (compounding) you should get either some micro-fiber cutting pads, or/and some foam cutting pads. In the Lake Country lineup, the thin pro gray pads are very likelly the most effective you can get. You other pad choices are good. You will likelly find that you will be reaching for the orange pads a lot more than the other two.

I have no experience with Griot's polishes so I can't really comment on them. Same goes for the sealant you chose.

Best of show wax was praised by some detailers I like to listen to. So I think you have a good product there.

Microfibers, the more the better. I think you have a good kit there

Some things not on your list you might want to add:

You will need some kind of grease and wax remover. It's used after you are done compounding and polishing to remove the polishing oils from the paint before you either coat or seal it. I make my own using Isopropyl alcohol and ONR but if you want to buy some pre-mixed the two I can suggest are CarPro Eracer (expensive) and Duplicolor Grease and wax remover (affordable).

Also, a tool you will definatelly want to have is a blower to dry the car. I suggest you have a look at the Metrovac Sidekick, it's the best tool in my whole arsenal in my book.

Finally, if you don't have them already, you will want material to wash the car properly. That step is very important. So 3 5-gallon buckets, 3 grit guards, some microfiber wash mitts, a wheel brush kit (I like Wheel Woolies best but having a speedmaster/ez-detail brush is a must for super tight areas on some wheels), detailing brushes

Finally, a power washer is one of the best tool you can have. Even a super cheap one will help greatly at maintaining the car without damaging it.

5. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie75 View Post
    Hi. I'm sure there will be many pros (i'm in the hobbyist category) and folks that will chime in but since I have a second before I clock out, I'll give a little 2 cents worth. I read that GG paste wax comes off easier. As far as pads go, orange and white for sure... if you apply wax by hand then sure, give the red a try. As for the number... way more than 1... think 1 pad per panel. I can say from experience that that little tip really helps. It's a good start... maybe think of gallons of something... a little cheaper and can last longer. Think a good degreaser and APC... McKee's or Optimum or Meguiar's. Nice start though and as started, others will chime in...
    Thanks Goonie75. Oh I sorry but yes yo stay I'm planning of 6 of each of the orange & white pads & 1 red.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Good choice on the polisher and the backplate. In my book that is the best 1st polisher you can get.

For the pads, you don't have any cutting pads. So if you are planning on doing actual paint correction (compounding) you should get either some micro-fiber cutting pads, or/and some foam cutting pads. In the Lake Country lineup, the thin pro gray pads are very likelly the most effective you can get. You other pad choices are good. You will likelly find that you will be reaching for the orange pads a lot more than the other two.

I have no experience with Griot's polishes so I can't really comment on them. Same goes for the sealant you chose.

Best of show wax was praised by some detailers I like to listen to. So I think you have a good product there.

Microfibers, the more the better. I think you have a good kit there

Some things not on your list you might want to add:

You will need some kind of grease and wax remover. It's used after you are done compounding and polishing to remove the polishing oils from the paint before you either coat or seal it. I make my own using Isopropyl alcohol and ONR but if you want to buy some pre-mixed the two I can suggest are CarPro Eracer (expensive) and Duplicolor Grease and wax remover (affordable).

Also, a tool you will definatelly want to have is a blower to dry the car. I suggest you have a look at the Metrovac Sidekick, it's the best tool in my whole arsenal in my book.

Finally, if you don't have them already, you will want material to wash the car properly. That step is very important. So 3 5-gallon buckets, 3 grit guards, some microfiber wash mitts, a wheel brush kit (I like Wheel Woolies best but having a speedmaster/ez-detail brush is a must for super tight areas on some wheels), detailing brushes

Finally, a power washer is one of the best tool you can have. Even a super cheap one will help greatly at maintaining the car without damaging it.
    Thank you Calendyr, I did thought about the gray pad but the word "extreme" in its name scared me. I do have 2007 Sequoia that's in very bad shape so I was hoping that the orange pads would do the job.

And thank you for your other recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of people use waffle weaves for drying...it's where I started. I eventually went to Griots PFM drying towels...expensive, but worth it.

9. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the paint is in 'very bad shape', you may want to consider microfiber cutting pad such as the BuffnShine along w/ Meguiars D300. In my
    experience, the Meg's microfiber pads fail way too early/often.

Most of the time, I just hand apply paste wax (Collinite 476) w/ an red applicator (not pad) or a pad w/ velcro hand strap.

Personally, I prefer Optimum Car Wax (spray)

You're going to want a *bunch* of both short nap 'utility' microfiber and some nice plush for touching the paint.

11. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use and really like the Boss Fast Correcting cream, and the Boss Perfecting cream. Very easy to use, finish beautifully, and wipe off is a breeze. It is somewhat sun sensitive, so use it in the shade.

Have fun!

Bill

13. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also consider a pad cleaning brush, they aren't expensive and a good Pad Cleaning Solution. I picked up some Poor Boys Tornado Pad Cleaner after several people recommended it on here, and am quite happy with it. Does a nice job cleaning up the pads.

15. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it might be extreme for a foam pad, but foam has very little cut compared to microfiber and wool. So you do want them as exteme as they can be unless you plan on doing 50 passes per section

If you are not sure, start with fewer passes, say 3 or 4 and see how it comes out. You have to do this anyway to key in the process for the whole car, so instead of starting at 5 or 6, start lower.

Also, your compound is an other important aspect of the cut. I do not know how GG's compounds act, but the 3rd aspect, the polisher is one that is not very aggressive, so you do have to get maximum cut from both the pad and the compound if you don't want to stand there for days I am not sure how hard Totota paint is, I have done maybe 2 in the last 5 years and they were both 1 step... so I never did a full paint correction on one. Usually Japaneese paint is soft, so that is a good thing for you.

17. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast