autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Equipment & Supplies "Your Thoughts"

Looks good.

The orang pad is capable.

I like to have microfiber pads on hand - just in case. Sometime you just need more cut.

2. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Likes azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what's been recommended (APC and degreaser), I'd add a good glass cleaner (i.e., Megs), good car soap, a quick detailer (GZg Speed Shine, etc), perhaps a waterless/rinseless (McKees 914, Ultima, Optimum No Rinse, etc) and shop vac. I personally like the HD Ridgid blower vac with auto detail kit (powerful vac, and the detachable blower can be used to help dry the vehicle).

4. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Likes azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharply Dressed View Post
    I personally like the HD Ridgid blower vac with auto detail kit (powerful vac, and the detachable blower can be used to help dry the vehicle).
    Does the filter on the detachable blower need to be cleaned out after vacuuming and prior to using it to dry a vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Well it might be extreme for a foam pad, but foam has very little cut compared to microfiber and wool. So you do want them as exteme as they can be unless you plan on doing 50 passes per section

If you are not sure, start with fewer passes, say 3 or 4 and see how it comes out. You have to do this anyway to key in the process for the whole car, so instead of starting at 5 or 6, start lower.

Also, your compound is an other important aspect of the cut. I do not know how GG's compounds act, but the 3rd aspect, the polisher is one that is not very aggressive, so you do have to get maximum cut from both the pad and the compound if you don't want to stand there for days I am not sure how hard Totota paint is, I have done maybe 2 in the last 5 years and they were both 1 step... so I never did a full paint correction on one. Usually Japaneese paint is soft, so that is a good thing for you.
    Good to know that the Toyota's paint is soft. How can you tell by the way whether a paint is soft or hard?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharply Dressed View Post
    In addition to what's been recommended (APC and degreaser), I'd add a good glass cleaner (i.e., Megs), good car soap, a quick detailer (GZg Speed Shine, etc), perhaps a waterless/rinseless (McKees 914, Ultima, Optimum No Rinse, etc) and shop vac. I personally like the HD Ridgid blower vac with auto detail kit (powerful vac, and the detachable blower can be used to help dry the vehicle).
    I tried using my Rigid Pro Pack as a blower when I first started out. The first time I tried it, I realised it was blowing all the dust, dirt and sand inside the hose. So if I was to use it on a car, it would act like a sand blaster. So I never did use it on a car. I guess you could get a second hose and only use it for blowing.... But would dirt from inside the vac's canister get blown out? Not sure....

Post Thanks / Like

Equipment & Supplies "Your Thoughts"

But would dirt from inside the vac's canister get blown out? Not sure....
    I’m surprised you haven’t found this out about your own vacuum. Lol.
    But like you said you don’t really use it for that + you’d have to buy a 2nd hose..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’m surprised you haven’t found this out about your own vacuum. Lol.
    But like you said you don’t really use it for that + you’d have to buy a 2nd hose..
    Also the blow feature is not as powerful as the Sidekick. Also having to drag a heavy vacuum around the car would be annoying compared to a small hand unit.

I guess in a pinch it would do, but considering having to pay extra for the hose, I would rather spend a bit more and get a sidekick.

Post Thanks / Like

Also the blow feature is not as powerful as the Sidekick. Also having to drag a heavy vacuum around the car would be annoying compared to a small hand unit.

I guess in a pinch it would do, but considering having to pay extra for the hose, I would rather spend a bit more and get a sidekick.
    My bad, when you said Pro Pack Blower I was under the impression that it was the 1 with the detachable blower w/wand. I’m now guessing the Ridgid Pro Pack is the 1 shaped like a tool box?

And yea I know what you mean. It would be like trying to drag this around the vehicle using it to try and dry the nooks & crannies. Not ideal + even worse because this is about as big as they make them.

But I do use it to sweep the backyard patio. You see all those leaves?Equipment & Supplies "Your Thoughts" They’re about to be gone... But 1st I’ll eat breakfast. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

For a blower I have used my small battery powered Ryobi leaf blower. Doesn't get into small places as accurate as other nozzles but to get water out of mirrors, door seams, etc it works well and aren't expensive

Sent from my PH-1 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Does the filter on the detachable blower need to be cleaned out after vacuuming and prior to using it to dry a vehicle?
    Yeah, not the ideal way to set up if your doing this professionally.

Here’s my take on the sidekick:

I use it all the time. I use it every time I wash a vehicle and when I detail an interior. It’s small and easy to work around the vehicle. It’s the only way to avoid a half hour of postwash drips that I know of. It’s as quick a way to knock off 80-90 percent of the water as there is. After most of the water is knocked off you can use it with a rag to dry (it blows warm air, so any MF will do) or with a rag and spray product.

Cleaning wheels and tires - it will dry them quickly so you don’t have to wait to apply sealants/dressings. The same for engines. Can also be use to clear out leaves and such prior to cleaning.

Works great to blow out an interior prior to cleaning. Doesn’t have the sharpness of compressed air, but it has the right amount of volume for an interior.

Downsides:

The heated air is nice in cool weather but not so nice when working in the heat (especially interiors).

All the weight is on your hand. You get use to it, but...

All the weight on your hand makes it difficult/ awkward to blow water off horizontal surfaces (especially roofs)

There’s a learning curve to get quick with it. You have to invest the time. You can’t just use it once and say this thing sucks and put it on the shelf.

13. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast