autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Ozone generator - non-commercial use

Hi all:

I have a persistent mild-moderate odor (from food in a carryout container left for a couple weeks) in my car that I haven't been able to get rid of. I've tried cleaning every surface thoroughly including leather, alcantara, and all plastics, shampooing the carpet, using S02 Pure, using a Meguiar's "bomb", and then when that didn't work cleaning all over again. The funny thing is that the food never left the container (it was one of those foam containers with a closure tab with some vietnamese chicken fried rice in it) and only on my driver's side floormat. I can only smell it when first entering the car after it has been sealed up for a while so it isn't a full stench, but it is definitely there. No matter how hard I try I can't localize the source of the odor...

Just wondering if anyone has used and had success with the $55-$75 ozone generators you can find (auction site, big A, etc.) that typically claim 3500-5000 mg/hour of O3. I am thinking about picking one up and would like to know:
    • Do they actually work?
    • Are they safe to use (e.g., will not deteriorate materials in the car over the course of 0.5-2 hours)?
    • Any special precautions required? I (and family and pets) obviously won't be in the car while treating it, but I was wondering more about the need for an intake tube to the unit, etc.

I could take it to a detailing place but figured it would be cost neutral and less of a headache if I could tackle this myself.

PS -- car is a 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo.

Mike Phillips

Re: Ozone generator - non-commercial use

Quote Originally Posted by Typerx View Post

Just wondering if anyone has used and had success with the $55-$75 ozone generators you can find (auction site, big A, etc.) that typically claim 3500-5000 mg/hour of O3. I am thinking about picking one up and would like to know:

• Do they actually work?
    • Are they safe to use (e.g., will not deteriorate materials in the car over the course of 0.5-2 hours)?
    • Any special precautions required? I (and family and pets) obviously won't be in the car while treating it, but I was wondering more about the need for an intake tube to the unit, etc.

I could take it to a detailing place but figured it would be cost neutral and less of a headache if I could tackle this myself.

PS -- car is a 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo.

Sorry to say... I'm not really up to speed with ozone generators. I mostly hear great things about commercial units but once in a while I also here about people that have tried to remove the worst of odors and after trying most other options and then trying an ozone generator they were still unsuccessful.

So I think it's hit or miss.

You won't know what you can do until you try

3. Likes Typerx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just watched a Youtube video recommending Tide Cold Water Rinse detergent with water in a 1:3 ratio and sprayed lightly on all surfaces to overcome (and he said "not cover, but overcome") odors in cars. I've not tried it myself, but intuitively, it seems plausible it might work. Certainly less expensive than buying equipment that might or might not work.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one that I use on my hunting clothes. I'll let it run for a few minutes in my truck as I'm driving to my property since it's a 3 hour drive and I usually eat and whatnot on the way up there. The 5 minutes doesn't quite get rid of the odors outside of the duffel but it lightens it. The stuff isn't really good for you so I don't run it long if I'm nearby. It's also harmful to some rubbers and other materials so I don't want to make a regular habit of running it in the truck.

I ran it in the explorer after my son had a blow out on a long drive that required pulling the covers off his car seat to clean them in response to the missus complaining a couple days after said biological disaster. 20 minutes run time, 20 minutes to let it dissipate. Smell was gone.

I've also found it effective at reducing the dog smell in our bedroom.

6. Likes Typerx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update to this:

Until I get my oldest potty trained, the diaper pail gets twice as many diapers as usual. My son's nursery smelled horrible. Ran the ozone machine in it for 30 minutes today, then let the O3 dissipate. Stench gone. This stuff works!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have an update too but was waiting...

So on Monday I went ahead and ran the ozone machine in my car for 30 minutes. I also ran the HVAC system on recirculate for 10 minutes. After, I let the car air out in the garage for an hour or two and the garage ended up smelling like ozone. In any case, I think the odor in my car is gone but I sealed it back up and will check again tomorrow or Friday to see if the it comes back or not.

Bottom line, Ebay ozone generator definitely generates ozone and didn't burn the house down.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet was gonna day it doesn’t hurt to try. Let us know the results

Star brite makes a chemical odor bomb so to say that can work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk