autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Failed Baggie test???

Today, I washed my truck...a 2016 Chevy 2500. I then used McKee's Xtreme Iron remover,(after the truck was dried from the wash) and let it dwell for the recommended 3 minutes, rinsed off, dried it, the gave it a clay bar treatment using GG Clay Bar with the GG Speed Shine. There was some red from the Iron remover but nothing extreme. I was generous with the Speed Shine and felt like I gave it a pretty good passing of the clay bar. Once done, the paint felt very nice to the hand but when I give it the baggie test, it doesn't seem to pass in my opinion. I feel like something is still there and can hear a bit too. Now never having done the baggie test before I am not sure how "quiet" it should be. I redid a section of the truck a 2nd time with the Speed Shine and GG Clay Bar, and really did not notice any difference when doing the baggie test again. I am at a bit of a loss if I need to keep claying, although it doesn't seem to improve it any more, or if I should just proceed now to the polish stage. I have the McKee's 360 on hand that I planned to use followed by the McKee's Hi Def sealant. Thoughts and suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Failed Baggie test???

Since you have decontaminated, this is JMO, but take your 360 and do a small pass on a section. Then do the baggie test.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes astro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Failed Baggie test???

You may need a heavier clay bar. I usually don't use anything but light clay on newer vehicles, but if your trucks has sat near construction, railroad tracks, under a sappy tree, etc. it may need a heavier clay. A synthetic claybar may also work better for you if it is really sappy and dirty. A synthetic clay pad on a polisher is the most intense way to remove contaminants. You shouldn't hear anything, it should be totally smooth if you have removed everything. Your 360 can indeed clean the rest of it off, you will just need to change/clean pads more frequently.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.