autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for Input on Polish Selection

Quote Originally Posted by damonb10 View Post
    Thanks for the great advice and feedback everyone! It seems that I'm on the right track. I honestly think my plan will be to get one additional polish option aside from Ultimate Polish. That will give me another option in case I run into problems with UP. When I make the time to do this project when the weather warms up, I can't afford to stop and try to get different products at the last minute.

At this point, I'm leaning toward either M205 or HD Polish+ to have in addition to UP.
    To be quite honest, you can read on here and take all of our advice until your head almost spins off. (It happened to me). Lol

Best thing to do (after screwing your head back on) is to get a few polishes, try them out with your different pads, and form your own opinion on your own cars.

All of us have different cars/trucks, needs, expectations, budgets, and techniques (which are always being honed/altered).

Best thing is to just pick a combo and dive right in. All of the worry disappears, and that's when the fun starts.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes VISITOR, Hammer77, damonb10, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a beginner and have been thoroughly researching everything I need to enter the world of DA polishing. I'm just an enthusiast and will be polishing our two vehicles which are in very good condition. 1 car is 1 year old and the other is 2 years old and they are Nissan/Infiniti's. From my inspection I feel that I would only require a good polish. However, I do have Meguiars Ultimate Compound should I need to do anything more aggressive.

The topic at hand is what polish to use. I would prefer a polish that is not an AIO and does not contain any fillers. I narrowed the choices down to M205, Ultimate Polish (already own this), Optimum Hyper Polish, and HD Polish+. I'm looking for input on what might be best for me. Also, I'm wondering if anyone can help articulate the real difference between Ultimate Polish and M205.

Keep in mind that the cars are a Nissan Rogue and an Infiniti Q50. Also, I plan on using Lake Country flat pads.

Thanks for any and all input!
    Ultimate polish has fillers. Stick with menzerna 3500 and all menzerna polishes to make it easy.they are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great advice and feedback everyone! It seems that I'm on the right track. I honestly think my plan will be to get one additional polish option aside from Ultimate Polish. That will give me another option in case I run into problems with UP. When I make the time to do this project when the weather warms up, I can't afford to stop and try to get different products at the last minute.

At this point, I'm leaning toward either M205 or HD Polish+ to have in addition to UP.
    205 is good. Similar to UP.

Menzerna 3500 would be my first alternate to those, and what I prefer to use on show car type jobs. I use it in a more dedicated "finishing polish" application, where I can do some deeper correction with 205/UP for a "one step" approach.

Post Thanks / Like

The Ultimate Polish was a choice I was looking forward to, but the M205 is easier to use, and my go to now

Post Thanks / Like

M205 is probably the most widely used finishing polish on the market, and that says a lot. I say most widely used because chances are if someone details, hobby or professional, they probably have used it or have it in their detailing shelves. That being said, you have a Nissan and an Infiniti so you'll need to dial in what you need with M205. For example on some soft paints, it's too aggressive neat so 50/50 distilled water and M205 mixed together works great on softer paints. But that's kind of what I like about it, you can dial it down for anything you need. That being said Sonax has excellent polishes and compounds as well, probably the best I've used. I prefer Sonax because its generally water based, meaning not pure water but more water in it then oil which means it's easy wipe off generally, and easier to get rid of any left over polishing oils with IPA or a panel prep.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Give sonax perfect finish a try. Gives a bit more cut and finishes down as good if not better. Make sure you don’t overwork it (PITA to remove) and you’ll be golden in case 205 won’t do the trick.

And of course, MZ3500 is a great choice. As well as 2500. And Correcting cream, and sooo many other polishes lol

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12