autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for Input on Polish Selection

I'm a beginner and have been thoroughly researching everything I need to enter the world of DA polishing. I'm just an enthusiast and will be polishing our two vehicles which are in very good condition. 1 car is 1 year old and the other is 2 years old and they are Nissan/Infiniti's. From my inspection I feel that I would only require a good polish. However, I do have Meguiars Ultimate Compound should I need to do anything more aggressive.

The topic at hand is what polish to use. I would prefer a polish that is not an AIO and does not contain any fillers. I narrowed the choices down to M205, Ultimate Polish (already own this), Optimum Hyper Polish, and HD Polish+. I'm looking for input on what might be best for me. Also, I'm wondering if anyone can help articulate the real difference between Ultimate Polish and M205.

Keep in mind that the cars are a Nissan Rogue and an Infiniti Q50. Also, I plan on using Lake Country flat pads.

Thanks for any and all input!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for Input on Polish Selection

I have a 2017 Pathfinder and 2017.5 Murano - Sonax 04-06 works great on Nissan paint.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Based on your choice I would say M205 or Hyper Polish would be two good choices. Ultimate Polish is nice as well and you could try that first since you already own it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hyper Polish gets my vote.....goes on the pad easier, no guess work in terms of how much to use (saves product), virtually no dust....but if you have Ultimate Compound/Polish I wouldn't necessarily buy more product unless it just doesn't work for you...both work well and are very forgiving. If I had to guess Ultimate polish probably has more polishing oils making it easier to work with..since it's their consumer grade polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate Polish is actually not as easy to work with as M205. I find Ultimate Polish to be a PITA to wipe off sometimes and it’s hard to pinpoint what exactly causes it but it’s just the way it is. UP has more polishing oils, and visualy that makes a slight difference on dark colored vehicles giving the paint a deep dark glossy finish, but don’t expect anything too dramatic.

I’ve never had the polishing oils in UP hinder it’s cutting ability [meaning when it removes swirls it’s really removing them and not just filling/covering them up]

M205 has more cut and can provide it when and if you need it based on the pad/pressure/machine you apply it with. I have both on hand and M205 is the 1 I reach for 9/10 times. It’s just a pleasure to work with.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate Polish is essentially a filler heavy glaze with very mild abrasives. Based on your requirements M205 will be better.

Ultimate Polish is only hard to remove if you don’t break it down properly, a result of its TS oils,kaolin clay filler heavy content.

Post Thanks / Like

The HD line is my favorite for numeorus reasons.

The complete HD line is extremely effective and is most newbie user friendly and easy on your wallet.

Best advice, stick with a single product line and master their system.

Always start with least aggressive combo and always do a test spot first.

Keep in mind, product and pad combination work hand in hand. Start with product and test spot and if it's not giving you what you want bump up to more aggressive pad first before switching to more aggressvie product and vice versa. I did 5 test spots before I found what worked best on that Z and that was polised to that level and finish in one step once I found the right combo.

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD

These were all done with HD products.

Looking for Input on Polish Selection-z04-jpg

Looking for Input on Polish Selection-435i-jpg

Looking for Input on Polish Selection-camaro1-jpg
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    The HD line is my favorite for numeorus reasons.

The complete HD line is extremely effective and is most newbie user friendly and easy on your wallet.

Best advice, stick with a single product line and master their system.

Always start with least aggressive combo and always do a test spot first.

Keep in mind, product and pad combination work hand in hand. Start with product and test spot and if it's not giving you what you want bump up to more aggressive pad first before switching to more aggressvie product and vice versa. I did 5 test spots before I found what worked best on that Z and that was polised to that level and finish in one step once I found the right combo.

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD

These were all done with HD products.

Looking for Input on Polish Selection-z04-jpg

Looking for Input on Polish Selection-435i-jpg

Looking for Input on Polish Selection-camaro1-jpg
    I agree. HD Polish+ is the best finishing polish on the market for the money. Easy and fun to use. No heavy polishing oils left behind on the surface like Menzerna. Uses non-diminishing abrasives like M205. Works better than any other finishing polish on glass and plastic. Won't stain trim (unlike M205).

M205 is also very good, cuts way more than HD Polish+ but doesn't finish nearly as well as HD Polish+. Especially on soft finicky paint.

Boss Perfecting cream is REALLY good and is pretty versatile IME. Smells good too.

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate Polish would be a very nice product for your application.

It responds well to being used with no the microfiber and foam pads.

Definitely one of my favorite polishes to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great advice and feedback everyone! It seems that I'm on the right track. I honestly think my plan will be to get one additional polish option aside from Ultimate Polish. That will give me another option in case I run into problems with UP. When I make the time to do this project when the weather warms up, I can't afford to stop and try to get different products at the last minute.

At this point, I'm leaning toward either M205 or HD Polish+ to have in addition to UP.

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast