autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remind customers to pay for a detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    What did I tell you guys?! Freakin overreacting.How to remind customers to pay for a detail.

If you have the possibility of getting screwed your mind, you’re likely to be screwed.. Be aware of your surroundings, but if you even have the slightest thought of being screwed over, then you’re just living in fear.

There was alot of talk about taking control of the situation in this thread.. More like damage control, but the way I see it, having control is not falling for such BS in the 1st place. If you’re dumb enough to get ripped off by someone like that in this situation, then you have to factor in how much you yourself are to blame for it.

@Maestro. Good deal, I told you everything was going to turn out fine. Just needed to have a little patience.How to remind customers to pay for a detail. Thanks for the update.
    It's a detailler thing. Not sure why that is. Many of us only accept cash and are super scared of credit card payments. In one Facebook group I am a member of, there are almost daily pictures of people showing text they received asking if they detailled x type of car or boat and if they accept credit card payment and it's always commented by several people saying it's a scam. I did ask repeatedly what makes them say that and no one answers.

The vast majority of my clients pay by credit card. If I refused to accept that mode of payment, I am sure I would loose a lot of business!

Post Thanks / Like

That is just an absolutely sky is falling mentality. I've found that the people that are scared of accepting credit card payments are people that are scared of chargebacks for substandard work. A guy I was trying to deal with to do some spot bumper repair advertised that he took credit cards. When he showed up at my house, he said he took cash or check only. Red flag because the postcard he sent out had huge credit card accepted logos all over it. His machine "was down." I sent him on his way because that's a guy that doesn't want you to have any recourse after you pay. That's what you're saying to your customer. You're saying "I offer zero guarantees on the quality of my work."

We're a brand new business. We have taken $2500-4000 in credit card payments per month for the last 6 months. Some people prefer to pay cash, that's fine too. We still give them a receipt through Square via text or email. I've taken two checks since I've been in business. Generally we don't accept checks. That being said, we've had zero non payment, zero chargebacks, zero credit card fraud. We've had one customer that refused to pay for a $40 wash. The car was an absolutely BEAT base model Prius. Never been washed, never been clayed, never been waxed. Bugs etched into the clearcoat of the front bumper and hood. Water spot etching on all the windows of the driver's side. Super dirty inside. We did a fantastic job cleaning it inside and washed it outside to the best of our ability. The "bugs" were not bugs anymore, they were part of the paint. We tried to explain to her that the bugs were now a permanent part of her car's paint. She accused of us making this huge scuff on the side of the car that was clearly already there, was barely noticeable and we clearly didn't cause. We gave her the keys, thanked her for her business and sent her on her way for free. $30k in business and we've been beaten out of $40 by a customer that in my mind never had any intention of paying for a car wash unless we were somehow able to turn back the hands of time with a car wash. Part of doing business.

Post Thanks / Like

How to remind customers to pay for a detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    It's a detailler thing. Not sure why that is. Many of us only accept cash and are super scared of credit card payments. In one Facebook group I am a member of, there are almost daily pictures of people showing text they received asking if they detailled x type of car or boat and if they accept credit card payment and it's always commented by several people saying it's a scam. I did ask repeatedly what makes them say that and no one answers.

The vast majority of my clients pay by credit card. If I refused to accept that mode of payment, I am sure I would loose a lot of business!
    -Super scared of credit
    -Always several people saying it’s a scam
    -You repeatedly ask what makes them say that and no one answers

Those people who are scared of credit must not know what it’s like to do a proper detail on a high end vehicle and get paid what it’s worth.

My point is that there’s a good chance it’s going to cost hundreds of dollars, and most people don’t like carrying around alot of cash. [not to mention it’s safer for the buyer to have an electronic record of the transaction vs. handing over a big wad of cash without knowing if they’ll even get a receipt + alot of banks only allow you to withdraw $300 per day from the ATM. What if it costs more than that]? Either ways it’s a hassle. It’s 2018, people like to pay by card.How to remind customers to pay for a detail.

Those guys who are quik to say it’s a scam are the type of losers who live in fear.
    You repeatedly ask what makes them say that and none of them answers? Let me guess, they’re also a bunch of individuals who are scared to show their face on the internet and instead have some cartoon character on their profile, because some crazy person might drive across the country just to stalk them 1 day...

You live in the real world, they live behind their keyboards. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Might be, i don't know. For instance, Darren Priest doesn't accept credit cards and his company seems to be doing very well. Not sure what is the motivation of refusing credit cards... There is a transaction fee, so on a large payment it does represent something like 10$ which is annoying to have to pay... but still, it's a business expense that is deductible so for me that is not that bad.

As for garantee of workmanship. asking for a refund because you are not happy with the work is not legal. The company could sue the heck out of you for doing that. I believe it falls under the Fraud umbrella.

But as a customer, if a company refuses to accept credit cards or bank cards, I am simply not doing business with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Might be, i don't know. For instance, Darren Priest doesn't accept credit cards and his company seems to be doing very well. Not sure what is the motivation of refusing credit cards...
    I believe his reason is because most of his customers are long timers so it’s just a way of keeping things easier. He stays busy enough with his maintenance clients, and if and when he details a new customer they have to pay cash or they can choose someone else, no sweat of his back.

He doesn’t carry a steamer, a pressure washer, etc. for the same reason.

Post Thanks / Like

In one Facebook group I am a member of, there are almost daily pictures of people showing text they received asking if they detailled x type of car or boat and if they accept credit card payment and it's always commented by several people saying it's a scam. I did ask repeatedly what makes them say that and no one answers.
    The scam emails are pretty easy to spot:

Broken English, first and last name are swapped, come direct to your email versus through your website. They start pretty much the same.

Hi, I am mr keen Joe, I would like to know, do you do auto detailing and accept credit cards?

So you reply yes. Then poor keen Joe says he's in the hospital and can't talk on the phone, but wants to send you 2 escalades and a mustang for the works. But his vehicle shipper doesn't take credit cards. So if you could just pay the shipper for the cars, he will include that when he pays your bill.

Or mr keen Joe is sending his boat up here so his family can go for a cruise and it need to be clean for them. Because, you know, when dad is on his deathbed, the rest of the family is going for a boat cruise.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Another obvious sign is the use of the word “mum” instead of mom.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, those I know about. People wanting to send multiple cars by towing... ROFL just ridiculous

Post Thanks / Like

It's not illegal to ask a company for a full or partial refund if you're not happy with the work. If a customer came to you and you guaranteed them, for example, that you could remove all the stains 100% from their seating surfaces and you delivered the car without doing what you said and charged them full price, their recourse would be to ask you to perform the work as promised or give them a refund. I don't think that's out of line. It's certainly not illegal. If after all that, you tell them "too bad I couldn't get the stains out and I'm not giving you a refund", their recourse is to contact their credit card company. If they can prove you made certain promises and then failed to do the work, and they can prove that they gave you an opportunity to correct the issue, they have more than a fair chance of getting their money back.

Requesting your credit card provider intercede on your behalf after you've exhausted all other options is not fraud.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

During the Initial look over the vehicle and agreement of services I would cover all basis.

During agreement process whether you have a preliminary evaluation sheet (a report that you filled out with noticeable damage, defects in paint, condition of vehicle, etc...) I would share it with the customer and discuss with the customer your payment options in advance (so that puts the thought in their mind that you need the money ASAP). Many customers will pick up a vehicle and state they do not have cash or they have a check, blah blah (some make excuses to get the keys and drive away). If you get burned more and more by customers not paying. Either set up a promise to pay agreement (at the bottom of your preliminary evaluation sheet) that they sign, though charges might change by the end of your detail job if you word the state that you will need payment the payment within 24 hours of service (what ever you feel is best for your business).
    Joseph
    JCCarCare

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast