autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Helpful tip for cleaning up older M Benz window trim

I am talking about the MB`s from the late 90`s and early 2000`s that has that trim around the windows and along the sides of the roof. Its always that same darker bronzy/copper color that looks like anodized aluminum, but has a clear coat over it.

It always seems to look terrible and never have a uniform color appearance on the ones I have worked on. Polishing never seems to do very much. It will make them look better but will still have a muddled look to them. I used to have good success cleaning them up with J. Werkstatt Prime AIO (but that`s gone now) and would not be a good choice with CSL being the LSP.

This weekend I stumbled upon something while working on a 1998 MB C280. The car was getting CSL applied and I was using DG Squeaky Clean as a coating prep polish. I went over this trim with the DG SC (that had been hit with Sonax PF and polishing pad) and it cleaned this trim better than anything I have tried over the years.

I`m not sure what causes that uneven look to this trim (water staining?), but the DG SC removed it and left a deep uniform color to the trim. I was only using a blue final polish/glazing pad too.

I know that this trim has been a PITA for some folks, so I thought I would share.

(BTW, this car owner got almost 4 years out a double layer of Gtechniq EXO v2 applied in early May 2014! It was clearly still beading. No where near like it was still doing behind the license plate where it was protected from the elements, but still beading and sheeting off the car. That way outlived the expected lifespan. I did provide an lesson to the car owner on proper washing technique and the need to keep the coating clean to work its best. Well after talking to the owner, he took my word as gospel and must have really did a great job keeping it clean. And he does not have a garage either!)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Helpful tip for cleaning up older M Benz window trim

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I am talking about the MB`s from the late 90`s and early 2000`s that has that trim around the windows and along the sides of the roof. Its always that same darker bronzy/copper color that looks like anodized aluminum, but has a clear coat over it.

It always seems to look terrible and never have a uniform color appearance on the ones I have worked on. Polishing never seems to do very much. It will make them look better but will still have a muddled look to them. I used to have good success cleaning them up with J. Werkstatt Prime AIO (but that`s gone now) and would not be a good choice with CSL being the LSP.

This weekend I stumbled upon something while working on a 1998 MB C280. The car was getting CSL applied and I was using DG Squeaky Clean as a coating prep polish. I went over this trim with the DG SC (that had been hit with Sonax PF and polishing pad) and it cleaned this trim better than anything I have tried over the years.

I`m not sure what causes that uneven look to this trim (water staining?), but the DG SC removed it and left a deep uniform color to the trim. I was only using a blue final polish/glazing pad too.

I know that this trim has been a PITA for some folks, so I thought I would share.

(BTW, this car owner got almost 4 years out a double layer of Gtechniq EXO v2 applied in early May 2014! It was clearly still beading. No where near like it was still doing behind the license plate where it was protected from the elements, but still beading and sheeting off the car. That way outlived the expected lifespan. I did provide an lesson to the car owner on proper washing technique and the need to keep the coating clean to work its best. Well after talking to the owner, he took my word as gospel and must have really did a great job keeping it clean. And he does not have a garage either!)
    How's the swirling or road film after 4 years?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Helpful tip for cleaning up older M Benz window trim

It definitely had its share of accumulated washing swirls over the 4 years, but I have seen a lot worse in a 6-12 month timespan with some people. That was the main reason he contacted me again, but it was still very glossy.