autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

APC for cleaning emblems

Hello guys I am currently on the market for an APC that I can use to clean the emblems on my vehicle that won't remove waxes/sealants. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: APC for cleaning emblems

I would look at using a spray bottle filled with a higher concentration of your favorite car shampoo. I think most APC’s will degrade your LSP too much.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of vehicle is it and what year? Do the emblems have a chrome finish? Do they have any pits on the finish? Or are you more interested in being able to clean in between the lettering, which unless you have the right approach can be difficult to clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I could never really clean emblems until I saw your method of using a detailing brush. Works and its a must have tool for me now.

5. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 Mustang GT. The emblems do have a chrome finish. I like to make sure to get the 5.0 emblem on the side alone with the GT badge on the back. I also like cleaning the trim along the windows. I use orange degreaser by CG. But I've noticed that it removes the wax around the area along with the run off from the chemical on the vehicle. The emblems are pretty clean since I have been maintaining them while washing the car. One person on here said use soap diluted in a spray bottle. What's your personal stance?

Post Thanks / Like

APC for cleaning emblems

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben12 View Post
    2016 Mustang GT. The emblems do have a chrome finish. I like to make sure to get the 5.0 emblem on the side alone with the GT badge on the back. I also like cleaning the trim along the windows. I use orange degreaser by CG. But I've noticed that it removes the wax around the area along with the run off from the chemical on the vehicle. The emblems are pretty clean since I have been maintaining them while washing the car. One person on here said use soap diluted in a spray bottle. What's your personal stance?
    My personal stance is if they’re already in good shape and simply need to be maintained [which it sounds like your fall into this category] All that’s required is a simple and gentle brushing with a brush like these at the same time you’re doing your bucket car wash.

Just dip the brush into your bucket and also have a mitt on your left hand to drip more suds on the emblem/grill/or any other areas you choose to give extra attention to with the brush.

This type of brush works too. There’s some fancy ones that are this shape that cost $20+ It’s up to you how fancy you want to get... These ones in these 2 pics work just fine for me and don’t cost much.

Then there’s these Mothers Detailing Brushes. Don’t ever use these brushes on yours or any emblems unless they’re super dirty and they can’t possibly get any worse because they have the potential to damage that thin chrome coating on emblems. [ask me how I know]

They’re great brushes for lots other places though. They’re good for emblems aren’t that delicate chrome. Like this 1 on my car for example. Just remember always use plenty of soap/quik detailer/Rinseless wash/etc.

You don’t need to use degreaser all the time. Only the 1st time, from there on maintaining them is easy.

8. Likes Desertnate, mrbtd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Eldorado2K nailed it.

If for some reason you find you missed a spot on the badging after your done washing, you can always use a quick detail spray and the brushes. Just be gentle.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks for the amazing response! I will for sure save myself some dollars since they are already maintained to begin with! What do you typically use for a tire degreaser? I've heard good things about megs super degreser. What do you think? Thanks!

12. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben12 View Post
    Wow, thanks for the amazing response! I will for sure save myself some dollars since they are already maintained to begin with! What do you typically use for a tire degreaser? I've heard good things about megs super degreser. What do you think? Thanks!
    You’re welcome. APC for cleaning emblems
    And yea that’s usually my go to product for cleaning tires during a normL bucket wash. I’ve been trying out some other degreasers lately just to see if I’m missing out on anything, but I think Meguiars Super Degreaser is still my #1 choice because it does the job + it’s excellent value. Only costs about $20 bucks and that gallon makes 5 gallons when you dilute it at the recommended 4:1 [4 parts water, 1 part concentrate] Works great as a tire cleaner.