autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backing Plate

Post Thanks / Like

Backing Plate

Hello everyone,

I will be purchasing the PC 7424 polisher along with all the necessary equipment & supplies detail my cars & family (maybe) from start to finish. And by start to finish I mean brush/clean wheels & tires, wash, clay,and interior. Anyway I'm leaning toward the Lake Country pads my question what size backing plate should I buy the 5" or 6"? This will be my first time detailing my cars by machine.

Thanks,

AZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backing Plate

I'd highly recommend the Griot's GG6 over the PC. It's more powerful and has a lifetime warranty.

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

This is the backing plate I put on my GG6, it's excellent and worth the extra $$, get it on a sale.

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

3. Likes azacura, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whichever DA Machine you choose to buy, Porter Cable or Griots Garage, definitely at least get the 5" Backing Plate.

The Lake Country 5" Yellow Plate works fine, but Griots Garage now also makes a 5" Ventilated Plate and it is sold here. The additional venting may help a bit keep a pad cooler in operation. The Griots Plate does fit the Porter Cable DA.

It's also not a bad idea to have other Backing Plates for these machines. Such as the Lake Country Plate which might be called 3.5", or 3-7/8" which will permit the use of 4" Pads. The smaller Pad size does come in handy working certain tighter areas.

I believe the GG6 does come with a 6" Backing Plate, but the Porter Cable 7424XP comes with a 6-1/2" Plate-Pad Combo in which the Pad is permanently bonded/glued to the Plate. This Plate/Pad Combo can be used as a wax application or removal accessory with the appropriate sized slip on Microfiber Bonnets if one wishes. (also sold here)

5. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty, azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The debate of Porter Cable 7424XP versus Griots Garage GG6 and which is better has many countless opinions.

Yes, Griots Garage's machines come with a lifetime warrantee, best in the business. And you won't have to beat them over the head for replacement unless you're burning one up a month using such in hard professional use. The Griots is made in China, the Porter Cable is made in Mexico.

Some say the Porter Cable is a better built machine, but not quite as powerful as the GG6. My first machine was the 7424XP, and it works fine still have it, you can stall either machine in use because both are free spinning, not forced rotation such as the Flex 3401.

But either free spinning machines are much more forgiving as well. The Flex 3401 is a machine one can get in trouble with if they don't know what they are doing, somewhat mimicking a rotary polisher with forced rotation.

7. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Likes azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your quick reply. So me being new to machine detailing, you don't think I'll have an issue with the Griots?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply's. I had already had my mind set on the PC but now I guess I'll have to look into the Griots. So you don't think I'll have an issues with the Griots, know that I've never used an electric polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

No, you can basically put the machines in your hand and not burn up your hand. They are very user friendly and have an easy learning curve.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

11. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Likes azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azacura View Post
    Thank you for your reply's. I had already had my mind set on the PC but now I guess I'll have to look into the Griots. So you don't think I'll have an issues with the Griots, know that I've never used an electric polisher?
    I'll try to answer both later questions of yours with one reply so you have some better understanding of both machines which you may not be aware of.

Although I own a PC7424XP and never had any trouble with it, my #1 major dislike is a Rotary Speed Select Dial which has 1/2 speed increments, meaning 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5 but no 1/2 increment speed between speed 5 and 6. Why they did this was stupid IMO, because sometimes speed 5 seems inadequate, and speed 6 seems to be going a bit overboard and just too much.

Although I never used the GG6, speed 5 on this machine is probably quite adequate for all correction tasks.

As for warrantee repair or replacement, which I believe Griots Garage probably doesn't monkey around with repair, they just ship you a brand spankin new machine, keep in mind that in probably any case and with any manufacturer, you will ship the machine back to them once you get an RMA# on "your dime". They will then ship you the new machine on theirs.

The latest iteration of the GG6 is probably their best to date. Nice looking machine.

I also have the baby 3" Griots, and more recently did buy the Griots GG15 Boss. The Boss is a very nice looking machine but haven't used it yet to further comment on its abilities.

I'd say as I close, with either machine you'll get great use from either. Tough to ignore the Griots warrantee though, they got you covered if it's 5-6 years or more down the road. If a new machine supercedes the one you have, they send you the latest offering.

13. Likes azacura, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I mostly read this forum and can honestly say that I wish I would have read threads like this before I bought my PC. While its a good machine (the Porter Cable) and I can accomplish pretty much all tasks I take on, I wish I would have bought the GG6 instead. Ive now used both machines and can say that the the GG6 has more power without question. That and the warranty is hard to overlook. If I may, I would also suggest that you consider the Lake Country thin pads. Its impressive what you are able to accomplish with a thinner pad on a smaller machine like the PC/GG6. Ive used both 5" and 6" pads and it is a much more pleasant experience using 5" pads. 6" pads are IMO, too big for a smaller machine like these. The GG backing plate is worth the extra money in keeping pads cooler which will in turn make them last longer. Anything that makes pads last longer is a no brainer for me. I would also suggest the smaller pads (3" or 4") and backing plate as a compliment to your machine and 5" pads/plate combo. Well worth the investment in plate/pads and the first time you use the smaller pads you will wonder how anyone does without them.

Best of luck in your decision

15. Likes azacura, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to keep in mind is the amount of correction needed.

If you have a darker color car with soft paint and find yourself having to correct quite a bit, go with the Griots machine.

If you have a lighter color or metallic with medium to hard paint, then the PC will work well for you.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

17. Likes azacura liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast