autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with restoring an old finish

I’m looking for some advice with restoring an older finish.

I have a 1960Buick that has spent the last 35 years in a barn. (Uncovered). The car looks to have beenpainted in the mid 70’s and looks to have enamel paint. The paint is Red and oxidized.It also has numerous surface scratches and stains from years of sitting in a barn.

I’m assuming a deep buff with a heavy compound followed byswirl remover or finishing polish. What would be the recommended compounds, pads and tools? Would it help to provide a preliminary sand with high grit paper?

I'm not looking at a show car finish. Just want to bring some life back to this old girl.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with restoring an old finish

Look up Mike Phillips Meguiar’s #7 technique. You will be more than impressed with just the application of #7.

Link to a thread started by Mike,

The #7 Rub Down Technique by Mike Phillips

Link to my only experience with #7. I was blown away with how #7 transformed the Bugeye.

1960 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, Meguiar's #7 to the rescue

3. Likes srgallagher1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip. I'll try this. ��

Post Thanks / Like

not a fan of the Megs #7 method but lots of guys swear by it. I prefer to start out using a standard 8mm polisher like the pc7424xp or the GG6 and a fine finishing polish like HD Polish+ or a cleaner wax like HD Speed or Blackfire one step and a white polishing pad. If the paint is really soft you may not need a heavy compound and if you're removing alot of oxidation the paint residue and spent compound with clog up the pores of the foam pad so fast that in many cases it's actually quicker to use a fine polish that has more lubrication rather than a heavy cutting compound right off the bat. Also if the single stage enamel is really soft you'll also want to stay away from microfiber cutting pads.

Before putting in all the effort to do the #7 rub down method by hand. Start with a machine, a light foam polishing pad, and a fine polish or cleaner wax that has plenty of lubrication. That's just my opinion. Mike is still the most experienced and knows best. Would love to see some pictures

6. Likes srgallagher1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the valuable feedback. I'm a newbie and looking for all the help I can get. I'll post pictures as I go, along with feedback to what method I find works the best. Thanks again for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned, Mike's articles on the use of Meguiar's M07 are a must-read. Here's a link to the collection:All Mike Phillips #7 Show Car Glaze Articles in one place

I can personally vouch for the process. The moisturizing effect of M07 makes subsequent polishing so much easier and more productive.

Bill

9. Likes srgallagher1 liked this post