autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Pads - Cutting/Polishing/Wax

Hello everyone,

Well after doing more research and reading several other posts. I'm going to purchase the Griot's polisher. As for pads go I just planning on purchasing a handful, a couple cutting pads, a couple polishing, and one for waxing. But after reading several threads it looks like I will be needing a lot more that that. Mike, as well as others recommend purchasing 5-6 cutting pads, 3-4 polishing and 1 waxing and son on. In your experience and to a great detailing job do you recommend I purchase that many pads? Keep in mind that I do have a 2007 Toyota Sequoia that is in pretty bad shape, has sever water spots, swirls, & scratches.

I'm going to purchase the Griot's polisher and the 5" backing plate. That been said which brand pads do you recommend I purchase. From the research I did it looks like Lake County has more options compared to the Griot's. Any another recommendations? Remember I'm new to this, I've never used an electric polisher before.

CAN'T WAIT OT MAKE MY PURCHASE AND TRY IT OUT.

Thank you,

AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pads - Cutting/Polishing/Wax

Yes you will need quite a few pads for each step of the process. Even more pads of the same color will be needed as you will be working with a very large vehicle. I would say you will need half a dozen of each color at least.

As for the machine, pads, and liquids, my recommendation would be to stick with the Griots line to make it simple. Cutting pad, with their compound, their polish and pad and so on.

3. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Yes you will need quite a few pads for each step of the process. Even more pads of the same color will be needed as you will be working with a very large vehicle. I would say you will need half a dozen of each color at least.

As for the machine, pads, and liquids, my recommendation would be to stick with the Griots line to make it simple. Cutting pad, with their compound, their polish and pad and so on.
    I completely agree with Mike. Stick with Griots, its great stuff. I use a lot of it, and have not been let down. Staying within one group greatly simplifies the learning process. You can always get confused later on!

5. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Likes azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally, unless it's direct replacement, I get pads in groups of 6 per type. Figure I need all the help I can get, may as well take possible over-use of pad outta the equation.

7. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Likes azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm fond of the ol 1 pad per panel. Can get away with more but at times it seems that a fresh clean pad just performs better. Griots is great. Menzerna is great. HD Speed us great. LC thin pros and buff and shine flats I like a lot as well. As a hobbyist I can say for sure the more pads the better.... Good luck

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app

9. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Likes azacura, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your Polisher choice, I think you'll be happy. The folks in this thread who answered have all given good sound advice. The appropriate Griots Garage Pads, or the Lake Country Thinpro pads in 5.5" will either be just fine. Both are very well made high quality Pads.

I would agree and say for starters buy 1/2 a dozen of cutting Pads, and 1/2 dozen of finishing Pads. In the LC Thinpro Line, I believe these would be the Orange and Yellow Pads in the Thinpro Line. (Ill check and come back to correct if I'm wrong)

Honestly, I would not so much worry about the purchase of any waxing Pads initially. Once the paint is corrected, there is no foul-harm in hand applications of waxes or sealants. No additional gloss will be had by machine applying-removing

I'm pretty much old school, am 63 years of age, and was waxing cars by hand for decades. There's a certain special pleasure and enjoyment to hand application and removal, and to tell the truth and confide, I must have at least 15-17 of the Lake Country Blue and Black Waxing Pads, some Meguiars, and some Griots Garage on hand, and have never used any of them. They all still sit sealed in their Plastic Bags.

Whether you choose to go with Griots Polishes, or let's say Wolfgang, or whomever, they will work fine with whatever pads you team them with, it's no sacrilege, but I would advise to make sure to get the entire line of basic Polishes within that brand so you have all bases covered.

Meaning you'll want a more aggressive cutting-correcting Polish, and then a fine finishing last step Polish. For now, I think I'd stay away from ultra-coarse Compounds. As many would wisely advise in any instance, it is better to achieve 80%-85% correction, than go too far.

With a couple compatible Polishes within a given "family", and the two different types of Pads I earlier mentioned, you should be able to correct and finish down 99.5% of whatever comes at you with flying colors.

11. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, BudgetPlan1, azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pads - Cutting/Polishing/Wax what they said... Pads - Cutting/Polishing/Wax Pads - Cutting/Polishing/Wax

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app

13. Likes azacura liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it was me, and if I chose Griots for their correcting Polishes, I'd probably be buying all three BOSS products.

Their Fast Correcting Cream, Correcting Cream, and Perfecting Cream. Yes, I know, this comes to roughly $60 in Polishes alone, maybe a bit less if bought on sale.

Although I've never tried them, I believe this entire line can be wholly trusted without any fears, and would be assured that they will all work exactly as they should, and work admirably. Griots Garage has always been a very fine company, and with their BOSS system have considerably stepped up their game with cutting edge products and technology.

Coming in 16oz Bottles, these quantities should be more than enough to easily correct 3 vehicles entirely, perhaps more.

Again, and if it was me, I'd probably initially start with Griots Correcting Cream and do the obligatory 6 Section Passes on a Taped off Test Spot, and see the results. And if minor swirling, or deeper sleeks or what the folks here call "RIDS" (Random Isolated Deep Scratches) still remain behind, I would then, and only then reach for the Fast Correcting Cream and repeat.

15. Thanks azacura thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, azacura liked this post