autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY vs pay $$$

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY vs pay $$$

You will need both white and orange. Keep this in mind too, heat is the enemy of pads. Heat is generated when polishing and the longer you use the pad the more heat builds up. It will breakdown the pad and reduce the life span of the pad. So buying more pads and switching them out on a regular basis will actually save you money in the long run. A dirty pad also loses it's effectiveness and you can only clean so much build up out of it "on the fly" as they say.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

2. Likes PaulMys, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use these pads now as they cut very well and also finish great. Saves me from switching from multiple pads (ie Orange, then white etc etc) Might be something you want to look into.
    Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I do have some small bottles of Gyeon Compound and Polish, guess I'll give 'em a try soon. The Gyeon Primer I used last week before coating was an absolute delight to use.
    Curious on your input on these two as well. I like em think “the Guz” likes em, mike Phillips liked them etc. unspoken gems. And the bottle size is good for personal use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, been sitting on them since 08/2017. As mentioned, used the Primer last week before giving Gyeon One a whirl. Couldn't believe how little product was needed (2 small drops on pad) and when done, car looked great, almost like it had already been coated. I would imagine the regular polish would have the same level of cut/finish as Primer without the SiO2 benefits. As for the Compound, I think many found it lacking in heavy cutting, hence Gyeons release of Compound+ recently. The small bottles are quite convenient; buying things in 32oz sizes was one of the biggest mistakes I made when starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Curious on your input on these two as well. I like em think “the Guz” likes em, mike Phillips liked them etc. unspoken gems. And the bottle size is good for personal use

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jboy2015 View Post
    Hey guys!!

with detailing season right around the corner for me, I'm on the fence this year to buy my own equipment and do it myself. A pro detail(single step polish and sealant) will cost me about $300 which is about what I'd spend on the following equipment:

porter cable 7424xp
    three white pads
    clay and lube
    gyeon polish
    gyeon prep
    gyeon cancoat

ive watched soooo many videos and feel like I'm ready to tackle this, but is a single step polish really as easy as everyone doing the videos says it is?

or should I take the $200 polishing class at chemical guys first? I really don't want to tho lol

thanks for reading guys!
    This is a good option. You will like CanCoat and the polish as both are user friendly. The only recommendation I would add is consider having a compound in your arsenal just in case you need something a bit more aggressive. The polish is really nice to work with.

The number of pads has already been mentioned so you have some good information there if sticking with a one step polish.

My offer is always there as I mentioned in your looking for detailers thread if you ever need a little hands on or some tips with the products you have chosen, as I have used a majority of them. Then go ahead and let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I'd stick with your original plan that ends in Gyeon CanCoat, which will not play well with HD Speed. If yer gonna take the time to put a machine on the paint, may as well used dedicated polish and protect with something a bit more durable than HD Speed. Time wise, you'll save about 15 minutes using HD Speed with it's limited Poxy-ish protection vs polishing + Gyeon CanCoat protection. Have never used Gyeon Polish but a small bottle of Jescar Finishing Polish may be a better choice. Not sure the extent of the defects or if a polish will get ya where ya want to be.

FWIW I started with:
    GG6 DA
    (6) Lake Country Flat Pads - White
    (6) Lake Country Flay Pads - Orange
    Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 - 8oz
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 - 8oz
    Poorboys Tornado Pad Cleaner
    Gyeon Prep - 500ml
    12 Pack Edgeless Polishing Cloths

Unless ya have some deep/more severe defects, the combo will give you medium polish (WG TSR) on orange pads if needed and finishing polish (WG FG) on white pads.

It's a nice overall combo to start with and you can move on from there if needed....or wanted...or compelled because now your teetering on the edge of the rabbit hole.

The Wolfgang 'Twins' are pretty close to Menzerna 2400 & 3500 but you can get 'em in the smaller bottles.

Maybe grab some McKees 914 or Optimun no rinse which you can use in a variety of ways; rinseless wash, waterless wash, clay lube, quick detailer, etc. depending on dilution.

Everybody has their preferences, this worked well for me when I started. Gyeon CanCoat is a steller way to finish off; great gloss, blindingly easy application, great water behavior and self-cleaning characteristics. Recently read review from user who got a year outta it maintaining only with Gyeon Bathe+, a SiO2 infused auto shampoo which would play nice with CanCoat.
    This is some good advice and I would also stick with the original plan. I agree that CanCoat will give better and longer lasting protection compared to poxy.

To the op, I have CanCoat on my mom's car going on 7 months and it has held up really well. Maintained with Cure every couple months. I did use bathe+ once and that also worked well with CanCoat. Out of the two I would consider picking up Cure.

I also used Gyeon Primer Polish as my base which has SiO2 in it which Gyeon claims to add longevity with any of their coatings. The other difference being Polish has a little more cut compared to Primer Polish.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post

I have not used the compounds but the polish and primer polish are really nice to work with. Long working time, no dust and easy wipe off.

7. Likes PCDetailer liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally got around to starting the job. Did the front section of the truck and it wasn't too bad! (The girl and bumper sucked tho)

went with sonax profiline 0406 with an orange pad and gyeon cancoat.

thanks to everyone in this forum but especially @eldorado2k
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY vs pay $$$-img_1872-jpg  

9. Likes k35fields, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's "easy" if you're already a DIY type person. I probably coudn't teach my wife to do it because she's not really good at working with her hands and she's not very patient. It really depends on what your free time is worth to you. I did a one step job on a customer's car yesterday. A 1 step and a detail took me 6 hours. So it really depends on whether spending that much time doing it would be a good use of your time off.

Post Thanks / Like

Only additional advice I would give is to consider getting more machine than the PC. I have the Griots 6" which is similar and most would say better. Keeping it spinning on any curves is a challenge. If your car(s) has mostly flat panels, no problem. For curves the GG6 struggles which means I have to manage the pressure carefully. I'm not suggesting you got hard on your paint, but maybe something that will keep spinning through curves better if you have them.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    Only additional advice I would give is to consider getting more machine than the PC. I have the Griots 6" which is similar and most would say better. Keeping it spinning on any curves is a challenge. If your car(s) has mostly flat panels, no problem. For curves the GG6 struggles which means I have to manage the pressure carefully. I'm not suggesting you got hard on your paint, but maybe something that will keep spinning through curves better if you have them.
    I actually did end up using a GG6 with 5.5 pads. Thanks tho!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.