autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Looking for the best leather protectant for me.

I'm not a detailer, I'm a total noob... I just bought a 2018 Toyota and I want to protect the light red leather interior. <http://myautoworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/2018_Toyota_Camry_XSE_30_A0BE1039DD0F445E5C7F3409A 9DF4F8AFEF0A0CA.jpg>

I seek a product that will (in order of priority for me)

I.) Not remove the red color of the leather or damage it in any way,

II.) Prevent the red seats from being discolored from dirt and skin oils,

III.) Help the seats be easier to clean after being subjected to clothing dye transfer,

IV.) Protect against pencil marks, ball point pens, and other abrasions,

V.) Make it possible and easier to clean difficult food (chocolate, grease) and other stains,

VI.) Help preserve against UV damage (vehicle has a panoramic moonrroof over the front and back seats)

VII.) Will preserve a nice matte look and not leave a high-gloss sheen,

VIII.) Low VOC and won't smell too nasty.

I've looked at so many products and product claims that my head is spinning. So I post this here, to see if anyone has real-world experiences they can share. I think I have it narrowed down to the following seven products:

How would you rank the effectiveness of each of the following products... in your own experience?

1.) Modesta LPS Leather Protection System

2.) CarPro "Cquartz Leather Coating"

3.) LTT "Auto LeatherGuard" or "LTT Auto Protect" (not sure which one to use for light red seats)

4.) Leather Masters' "Leather Protection Creme" + Leather Masters' "Leather Barrier" + Leather Masters' "Ink Stop" (why do they say not to use Barrier on dark-colored leather?)

5.) Gtechniq "Leather Guard L1"

6.) Gyeon "Leather Shield"

7.) Dr. Beasley "Leather Lock"

Will any of the seven coatings above meet at least the top seven items on my eight-item wishlist above?

Will any of the above meet at least the top seven items on my wishlist above?

Or should I go with:

A.) Your favorite protectant that I have not discovered yet.

B.) Chemical Guys "Leather Protectant Dry-to-the-Touch Serum"

C.) Gold Eagle "303 Aerospace "Protectant"

D.) Guardsman "Protect and Preserve"

E.) Meguiar's "Leather Sealer"

I want the most matte finish possible, and the most protection possible.

Would any of the above remove the color?
    Would any of the above leave the surface shiny?
    Would any of the above not protect as well as the others?

Would any of the above last longer than the others?
    Would any of the above smell worse than the others?
    Would any of the above have advantages over the others?

Can any of the above be used in layers over each other for any benefits? If so, in what order?

Should any of the above NOT be used together for any reason?

I assume my seats must be coated, I highly doubt they are semianiline, etc. The red leather is also perforated, if that makes a difference.

I live in the U.S.A. and the vehicle was assembled at the Georgetown, Kentucky plant. I have heard Lexus owners have used products on their red leather that removed the red coloring from the seats. So I am leery of just trying multiple products before checking to see if they will mess up the color. As the salesperson was showing me how to use all the buttons, etc.-- AFTER I purchased the car-- she puts the fear of Kiichiro in me: "Pencil marks will NEVER come out of this matte red leather. Chocolate will stain the leather FOREVER. Denim color transfer will be forever PERMANENTLY indigo. Pen marks will NEVER be able to be removed..." and she goes on and on. This wasn't part of any upsale attempt to try to get us to buy any kind of simonizing or something like that-- so I got legitimately scared.

I'm looking for products that will maintain that nice matte finish (and NOT make it look like greasy vinyl or something) -- but WILL help prevent the staining, marking, abrasion, oil discoloration, food marking, sun fading, and color transferring that the dealer has apparently had so many complaints about and make it easier to clean when the inevitable does occur.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for the best leather protectant for me.

Looking for the best leather protectant for me.-car4-jpg
    This is what I'm looking to protect.

Post Thanks / Like

I would get a coating and the one I would look at most is gyeon leather shield. Get a gyeon leather cleaner to use before applying and when needed. Maintance cleaning a damp mf towel only. A simple thing to apply and maintain. Give a link to a review and write up by the Guz also. The one thing with any leather coating is to test it before in a inconspicuous space for a week or so. Best to do that or you would be hooked to the look it gets since it's not possible to be polished of like on a paint. So even if eager to use it do that test spot before and let it cure full time. Then you know what you get with whatever coating you chose.
    The easy application is a benefit since you don't need to wipe it off. Long lasting and the protection you are after. And as paint coatings they are not bullet proof but for wear and contaminants it's good.

Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating)

GYEON Q2 Leather Shield

GYEON Q2M Leather Cleaner

4. Thanks Dustin Cropsboy thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^

What he said.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a difference between a product that calls itself a "coating" and a "protectant" and a "sealer" when it comes to finished leather?

Post Thanks / Like

It's almost impossible to say since they don't have to declare what it's made of if it's not a health or environment hazard chemical. The gyeon leather shield is based on sio2 and proberly other things. Other coatings can have that to or some strings of siloxane or synthetic products that is like waxes. And since their has been only good things to say about leather shield and the reviews about it. Then I think it's one of the longest longevity and from a big detailing brand. I would have alot of first hand information to go with a unknown product with that kind of longevity. Otherwise you have the more used sealant kind of leather protection with a longevity up to 3 months. With gyeon you get up to a year or more. But do the test spot say back to the passenger seat and to the material that is like where you sit on. It's not always the case. On the vertical front to where you sit is also a good place to test. I'm more to look at leather as a kind of clearcoat than natuaral leather. So have starting to wonder how those conditioner and what not is doing. The gyeon leather shield and maintance seems to be an easy way and makes sense kind of treatment. And application with the no need to wipe it off and the longevity is impresive and simple.

It's a djungle when looking for things that suits your need. And we often think that the more complicate it is the better. Another protection that is liked is the Ultima Interior Guard Plus that is based on their polycharger polymers. The longevity is up to 3 months. But the longevity depending on how much the car is driven and stepping in and out. Maintance with Ultima Interior Scampoo gel or a damp mf towel. Or something else you know someone use that you count on. This forum is a awesome way to get to read about products. And that I look most for is the follow up they do. That's why I feel comfortable to recommend gyeon leather shield based on The Guz review and write up and follow up on Youtube. And for a new car protection I think it's perfect choice to go with that. Have it been on an older leather interior I would'nt coating it but use something else like Ultima IGP. To more restore the leather.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for the best protectant for me.

Great. I'm convinced. I'm gonna try the Gyeon q2.

Before I started checking on what would be the best bet for this leather, I didn't even know things like exterior ceramic coatings existed.

Now I want one. (Exterior is black).

I want the best self-cleaning one I can get.

Trying... not... to grab... the red... pill...
    Looking for the best leather protectant for me.-0ac882e17d484473-600x400-jpg

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to resist when you read more and more about detailing lol.

I have Polish Angel esclate lotion primer and Master Sealant at home waiting to be used in the spring. Even it's named as a sealant the ingredients is sio2 and tio2. It's 1 step into coatings and the longevity is up to a year only. Look at AGO sister site they have Polish Angel products which I really like the looks of. PA Cosmic V2 coating with PA Invicible Primer and one of their toppers is outstanding when it comes to looks. Easy application is a hughe benefit with them. They have a high content of tio2 in them that makes them looking great and other high quality chemicals. The downside is the longevity of them but cosmic v2 has up to 18-24 months which is acceptable. The new coating from gyeon seems to be very intresting gyeon Syncro. It's a 2 part with mohs as a base and then Skin as a top coating. And use with gyeon primer first you can get a longevity up to a pro coating I think. The maintance is important with coatings even if you can stretch the time between washes a bit longer than useally. I would look at what is needed to do.
    I recommend to what ever you get to look at those that have a primer and a coating and a top coating. Those combos really makes difference in longevity of them and self cleaning ability and is less prone to water spots. Another combo is carpro coatings with carpro essence as a primer and cquarts UK has the coating and their new carpro Gliss as a top coating. Look around and see what you are being intresting to get. There is alot of ways to go and this is just some of them I have found intrested in.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Looking for the best leather protectant for me.

Well, I`ve taken the plunge.

Test successful. No damage to the leather or color at all.

The Gyeon Q2 Leather Shield arrived today. I removed a rear seat headrest to test the product on the bottom of the headrest. The photos show the same headrest, and both are "after" shots. One is right after I applied and the other is an hour later. This is one drop smeared around. It took it almost an hour to disappear. I was really freaking out thinking it was gonna leave the leather all glossy forever, but when it dried, the places with the coating and without the coating are absolutely indistinguishable. (And no, the red headrest didnt turn orange, that is just the white balance on my camera not playing well with the lights in my house.)

Looking for the best leather protectant for me.-img_20180213_194628-jpg

Looking for the best leather protectant for me.-img_20180213_204354-jpg

12. Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice!