autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Collonite 845 - 5 minute wipe off ?

I washed my car, used Klasse AIO to clean the paint, then I applied Collonite 845 with a foam applicator. After 5 minutes doing the hood, I did a swipe test, and it seemed to pass the swipe test, so I buffed off with microfiber towel. The temperature was about 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

I read some guys say leave it on for 45 minutes before buffing off, so question is, have I buffed it off too early or should I wait 45 minutes ?

Note, my only experience with wax is OCW (spray wax) and Detailer’s Pro Max Wax which was a super easy apply and near instant buff/wipe off wax but didn’t have longevity, so I’m a noob on traditional waxes.

Post Thanks / Like

Collonite 845 - 5 minute wipe off ?

Quote Originally Posted by newbie12345 View Post
    After 5 minutes doing the hood, I did a swipe test, and it seemed to pass the swipe test, so I buffed off with microfiber towel. The temperature was about 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
    This is the way man...relax and enjoy your hard work!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collonite 845 - 5 minute wipe off ?

Once it dries you can remove it but when I used to use it I would apply to the entire car and THEN remove. I never had an issue doing it this way...ever!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Likes PaulMys, Sicoupe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll probably get pro and con on this question of yours.

I know Collinite can have variability of ease of removal times due to temps and relative humidity.

Probably the logic of the mindset of leaving it sit longer might be due to 845 said to have a poly sealant component beside carnauba in it, that it is a hybrid product. That further time should be allowed for better bonding and initial curing phase.

I suppose this makes some sense.

I've found with 845 and if time allows, that it isn't so highly critical if you leave it a little longer, in that there's no additional difficulty removing it.

It surely isn't the blue Carnauba Blue Coral Paste of old, with that one it was like trying to get off Paraffin Wax if you waited more that a minute.

With that said, I usually apply to the entire vehicle first and do a walk-around while applying. Thus by the time I'm coming back to remove the product at the start, I'd say an average of 15-20 minutes might pass.

6. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Once it dries you can remove it but when I used to use it I would apply to the entire car and THEN remove. I never had an issue doing it this way...ever!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I know Collinite can have variability of ease of removal times due to temps and relative humidity....

With that said, I usually apply to the entire vehicle first and do a walk-around while applying. Thus by the time I'm coming back to remove the product at the start, I'd say an average of 15-20 minutes might pass.
    Agree on all points, and I did the same thing. I'd apply it to the whole car with my DA to ensure I applied it evenly and then leave it sit. The warmer the temperature the sooner I would remove it. In 70-ish weather I'd let it sit for around 45 minutes. Any hotter, and I'd start removing it at the 20~30 minute point.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Did you notice any oily smearing when you removed it? If no then it must have dried. If the humidity was low then things will dry quicker. I would wait at least 15 min though. As mentioned applying it to the whole car then removing it in the same pattern should be more than enough drying time for future reference

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My colleague at work also wipe for 5 minutes and don't wait the 45 minutes... So you not alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newbie12345 View Post
    ...After 5 minutes doing the hood, I did a swipe test, and it seemed to pass the swipe test, so I buffed off with microfiber towel.
    If the swipe test said it was time to remove 845 after 5 minutes then you're good to go! Keep in mind Klasse AIO as a LSP in so that could also be contributing to the speedy cure time of 845. In fact I'd bet on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post

Agree 100% with you on this Roger.

I finish applying, crack a beer to enjoy, and when that's gone I go for the removal. Easy easy easy.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post