autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Coatings....30ml/50ml...where's the line?

Hey guys,

A separate part of my planning for the upcoming season is to really get my arms wrapped around coatings. Though I'll be doing mostly mobile work, I figure the customers that will be interested in coatings will likely have their own garages that they keep their cars in, which I will be able to use for coating application. I also have access to a couple garages, and have decided that I'll be coating my own personal truck (2017 Sierra Denali) as part of an article/video series on reviving it from the dead after this horrific winter weather.

With that said, the majority of coatings come in 30ml and 50ml sizes. The detail around which size to get seems to be pretty fuzzy, at least from what I can tell.

It seems to me that 30ml of paint coating should be fine for an average sedan or small SUV/Crossover, like my wife's Lincoln MKC. But for a truck the size of my Denali, it seems like I'd need 50ml. But, certain coatings require extra layers (Syncro, Kamikaze etc) so that further complicates things.

Part of me thinks that the cost of the materials really will be built into the price of the job and I should just buy the 50ml size just to be safe, as I'd rather have too much than not enough. But, even with some discounts I'm able to get, the 30ml to 50ml jump represents typically a $20-30 increase that I'd effectively be throwing away if I didn't need the bigger bottle.

So, for you guys who do a lot of coatings, what size vehicle or number of layers do you draw the line at to reach for the 50ml bottle?
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coatings....30ml/50ml...where's the line?

Not answering your question because I'm really not sure, but CQuartz does make a 100ml bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    Hey guys,

A separate part of my planning for the upcoming season is to really get my arms wrapped around coatings. Though I'll be doing mostly mobile work, I figure the customers that will be interested in coatings will likely have their own garages that they keep their cars in, which I will be able to use for coating application. I also have access to a couple garages, and have decided that I'll be coating my own personal truck (2017 Sierra Denali) as part of an article/video series on reviving it from the dead after this horrific winter weather.

With that said, the majority of coatings come in 30ml and 50ml sizes. The detail around which size to get seems to be pretty fuzzy, at least from what I can tell.

It seems to me that 30ml of paint coating should be fine for an average sedan or small SUV/Crossover, like my wife's Lincoln MKC. But for a truck the size of my Denali, it seems like I'd need 50ml. But, certain coatings require extra layers (Syncro, Kamikaze etc) so that further complicates things.

Part of me thinks that the cost of the materials really will be built into the price of the job and I should just buy the 50ml size just to be safe, as I'd rather have too much than not enough. But, even with some discounts I'm able to get, the 30ml to 50ml jump represents typically a $20-30 increase that I'd effectively be throwing away if I didn't need the bigger bottle.

So, for you guys who do a lot of coatings, what size vehicle or number of layers do you draw the line at to reach for the 50ml bottle?
    I can speak to Syncro anyway; used last week on a new 2018 Ford Transit Van. I skipped the roof but had enough left over that I could have easily completely the roof; I ended up using on the roof of the next (identical) van I did. 50ml Syncro got me 2 coats on van, 20ml of Skin got me 1 coat on entire van.

Vehicle:
    Coatings....30ml/50ml...where's the line?-jpg

Leftover:
    Coatings....30ml/50ml...where's the line?-abottles-jpg

Sent ya a PM about other coatings not from here...(AG)

4. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    Hey guys,

I have and do use all kinds and typically buy larger sizes. That said for sedans I usually get 15-20ml per coat. I probably could keep it to 15ml if necessary but again, I keep extra bottles on hand.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

If it was one of the CQuartz Coatings, and for a full size truck, I'd definitely go with the 50ml size. I know most will say 30ml should be enough, but IMO you might be cutting it close.

I know that many probably don't get too anal with a coating, concentrating on basically all outside panels, but there is much more if you get imaginative.

Like doing all Door Jambs, and sure, such will be a bit of a PITA, not so much the application of the Coating, but the prep work involved to get that coating to properly bond, possible polishing here and there, etc.

Door Jambs can take a beating, and is often the first source of rusting, especially in Midwest or Northern States with the abundance of Road Salts.

Areas under Hood and Tailgate are other areas that could benefit, and if you don't have a sprayed in Bedliner, there you go, another area that a good Coating wouldn't hurt.

A product like CQuartz and CQuartz UK can be used to great effect on hard smooth plastics, Wheels, Lights and Tail Lights, Grills, just about anything with no downsides. That in many instances it can play substitute for CQuartz DLX.

I know all too well how these full size Trucks and SUVs do have a lot of acreage to cover.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking about Bedliners also but figured something like hydro blue would be better suited until serious restoration is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com