autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish now or wait till spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    Personally I would wash, clay and wax. The car will look better and be easier to maintain for the rest of the winter. Should be less work to clay again in spring before polishing it also.
    ^^ this. The only reason not to is if you don't have a climate controlled garage or work space. Otherwise, have at it. As mentioned here, you'll likely re-do it again in spring just to polish off the winter much and road grime. It will also give you another opportunity to review the level of correction you achieved and provide a window to correct any areas needing more.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a garage. I will be outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by novarider View Post
    I don't have a garage. I will be outside.
    I would wait to polish until temps are in the 50's or better then. Most products have a min. temp range for working but honestly, to polish outside in the cold would not be pleasant. I'd likely be hitting up familiy, friends, etc. to see if they had a garage
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gonna be 60 degrees tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

In the winter, when weather allows, I wash and apply hydro2or similar product. It’s easier to apply and still gives some durability. I save my full details for spring, summer and fall. Some products like polishes also only work well a over certain temperatures. Good luck and have fun.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    Personally I would wash, clay and wax. The car will look better and be easier to maintain for the rest of the winter. Should be less work to clay again in spring before polishing it also.
    This^^^

Post Thanks / Like

I will wait to they stop apply road salt and the most has dusts of the roads. And then polish and protect the car so it's stays glossy and shiney for summer. If doing it now it will be able to build up some road film on the paint before summer.

In your case it depends on which lsp you are applying. Is it a wax with 2-4 months of longevity a wash and clay and wax would be an option. Depending on the level of correction you are need to do. If just a polish would work a cleaner wax/AIO can be an option and wait to spring detailing and go with a more compound and polish option and lsp of choice.

Since you work outside have in mind moisture levels and the time a full correction takes. So you start in time and has the time to finish up if temps is lowering to the evening. Maybe do the wash the day before and start with the claying in the morning or even also the day before. And do a waterless wash or a panel wipe down the day you are polishing it. As you want to work with a as dry as possible paint.

8. Thanks novarider thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by novarider View Post
    I bought a 2011 Audi a4 in November and the paint has a bunch of swirl marks and some scratches. I was planning on doing a full wash, clay, polish and wax tomorrow since it's going to be 60 degrees. I read in another thread that you should wait till spring to do paint correction. Is this correct? If so why?

If I need to wait what should I do now other than just wash the salt off?
    You can do all of that in 1 day?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I will wait to they stop apply road salt and the most has dusts of the roads. And then polish and protect the car so it's stays glossy and shiney for summer. If doing it now it will be able to build up some road film on the paint before summer.

In your case it depends on which lsp you are applying. Is it a wax with 2-4 months of longevity a wash and clay and wax would be an option. Depending on the level of correction you are need to do. If just a polish would work a cleaner wax/AIO can be an option and wait to spring detailing and go with a more compound and polish option and lsp of choice.

Since you work outside have in mind moisture levels and the time a full correction takes. So you start in time and has the time to finish up if temps is lowering to the evening. Maybe do the wash the day before and start with the claying in the morning or even also the day before. And do a waterless wash or a panel wipe down the day you are polishing it. As you want to work with a as dry as possible paint.
    I'm going to wait on the full polish till spring. I have a week off in April, might do it then.

I like the idea of wash and clay the day before then waterless wash the next day just before polishing. Thanks for the suggestion I may try this.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    You can do all of that in 1 day?
    Don't see why not if I start early.

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't do anything except gentle washes during the winter, usually at a touchless wash. I prefer to wait until they stop salting the roads and we've had a good rain to wash the remaining salt & salt dust off the roads. Otherwise there's too great a chance of grinding salt & whatever else they throw down into your paint.

This spring, I plan on going to the touchless wash to get the big stuff off, then a good 2 bucket at home to remove the remaining road film ... THEN break out the clay and polisher.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast