autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you tell if wax is gone ?

It's a good question and hard to get a right answer. That depends on many variables and what kind of products used.

I think if you feel and look at what the sealant does to your paint. And then take pictures of the car in a certain place of choice where you can get the same lighting again when you have waxed your car. Then look for what the wax change the looks and feel and water behavior as in beading and sheeting. Has it darkening effect to the paint or a more glass like look or what else you see it change the paint. Take pictures of it and compare them before and after every application and then with a interval of a month or so.

Then you have your car schampoo and maybe drying aid that can change the looks and behavior on the paint. And even road grime build up and other contaminants that change the looks and behavior on the paint. The bonding can be different for the wax on different sealants also so the longevity can change also. Sorry but it's a guess when the wax is completly gone and it's how you see your paint and feel like it's looks has changed. But you have guidelines on the longevity of it and if you take pictures to compare and then when you feel like it's time to do something to it.

I would go after how the base protection is doing. And as long I feel it's hanging on between washes I would apply what ever I feel to do. Either wax, spray wax or other toppers. When the claimed longevity of the sealant is coming to end I would plan to do a finish polish and apply a new protection of choice.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no way to tell. If there was there wouldn't be so many arguments about when a wax is stripped or not stripped, covered by surfectants ect ect. If you could come up with a conclusive way to tell you would be a rich man.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the op is meaning when it's stripped of the sealant he would apply it to. But when it's time for a new application of a wax. And somewhat of degrade you would see the wax has. Or you just applyied a wax to the sealant that does not to change it's look. Then it would be impossible to see if the wax and sealant has the same looks and behavior on the paint. But does it have some effect you would be able to see something changes with time.

When useing toppers on any kind of base protection you got on the car. It's a on you when it looks like to do something about it. So it's a feel when you decide to apply something new.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I don't think the op is meaning when it's stripped of the sealant he would apply it to. But when it's time for a new application of a wax. And somewhat of degrade you would see the wax has. Or you just applyied a wax to the sealant that does not to change it's look. Then it would be impossible to see if the wax and sealant has the same looks and behavior on the paint. But does it have some effect you would be able to see something changes with time.

When useing toppers on any kind of base protection you got on the car. It's a on you when it looks like to do something about it. So it's a feel when you decide to apply something new.
    thanks for all the help to everyone posting. And yes this is pretty much what i meant. I understand the bottle says 6 months or 2 months but every vehicle is different, every climate is different and everyone stores their vehicle differently. So just because my wax says x months, I will keep that in the back on my mind, but yes i was looking for something that might tell me differently. Someone mentioned feel so that is something i can try. I was thinking of laying down a layer of wax on half the hood and leaving the other half unwaxed with only the sealant and maybe that will help me get an idea of the difference in beading and depth between the two. Maybe do that for a month and then cover the entire hood in the wax and use that month as a reference. I know its hard to give an definitive answer and my eye probably cant tell the difference yet so i was just looking for a tip from those who do this a lot more than i do. Maybe there was a look or test of sorts that i just don't know about. I hate to keep applying wax over wax that is already there. And i prefer not to let my wax run out too far after its time, so maybe i will try that test and see what it looks like. Different seasons will play differently as well but maybe that will give me a starting point. thanks for the help so far.

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, there's one way, but some might cringe. "The Fingernail Test".

Go ahead, find any area on the paint and let your fingernail have at it in just a small spot.

No, I'm not talking about clawing your paint and leaving damage that might take some work to remove.

But I will say, that if a paint can be damaged easily when doing this, something needs to be done, you have no paint protection. Zero

Trust I do know that you can apply a carnauba, let's say Zymol, that cost you a $1000 a tub. Well sure, you can inflict damage, but to what degree? That $1000 tub doesn't necessarily mean your paint is now somehow protected better or longer than a $8 bottle of Nu Finish from Kmart.

And I know well from living in New Mexico for 14 years, and here comes some clown's cardboard box, or a Tumbleweed, flying across the road from the desert from 45mph high winds and wangs your car......well, lots of luck, nothing under the sun is going to protect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisT View Post
    But using the search function would eliminate the need to start one or more threads every day with pretty basic questions, wouldn’t it? Lol
    Some people are not very computer savy-( like myself ) they dont tie up a whole lot of time on forums- they have better things to do in life.
    They come to the forums to solicit help and learn what they can- and if they can offer something via a post they do. It never ceases to amaze me how many smart mouths always chime in on using the search function rather than just helping the folks out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    Some people are not very computer savy-( like myself ) they dont tie up a whole lot of time on forums- they have better things to do in life.
    Yet some find the time to start many threads about primarily basic topics that could be easily answered by doing a modicum of reading. How strange.

2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
    2017 Honda CTX700
    IG- alfaromeogiulia.palmbeach

9. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Dislikes fightnews disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ChrisT
    I can tell you I am not like that and probably most arent either. Maybe there are some guys that all they want to do is get their post count up ( for whatever reason I cant understand) I am just asking for all you guys with forum savy to take it easy on us guys that arent. I am an old man and wast born in the tech age so I struggle with anything on the computer- but I am getting better

11. Likes fightnews, josher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It never ceases to amaze me how many
    smart mouths always chime in on using
    the search function rather than just
    helping the folks out
    I can tell you I am not like that and
    probably most arent either. Maybe there
    are some guys that all they want to do is
    get their post count up ( for whatever
    reason I cant understand)

I am just asking for all you guys with
    forum savy to take it easy on us guys
    that arent. I am an old man and wast
    born in the tech age so I struggle with
    anything on the computer- but I am
    getting better
    •Just the fact of me (also being an old
    man, not being born in the tech age)
    merely suggesting to the OP—stated in
    my inherent vernacular—to consider that
    his thread-starter’s subject matter is, IMO:
    more related to the much discussed topic
    of “Layering/Topping” LSPs;

•and, then: giving the OP a vehicle to
    research, in depth, the “Layering/Topping”
    subject matter...

•Is, unequivocally, not reason enough to
    be labeled a smart mouth; or any other
    concocted, pejorative unit-of-language,
    as far as that goes.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

How do you know the solvents in your wax don't remove your sealant? Waxes have various solvents in them to make them spreadable (think mineral spirits / kerosene / etc...). It's a known fact these solvents will remove sealants. So, how can you even say layering various products is even possible from day 1?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.