autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating, Wax, or Sealant?

Quote Originally Posted by itsgn View Post
    As already said, I personally prefer a ceramic coating over a wax, because even though it doesn't look as good to me as some premium waxes do, but it requires far less maintenance, and is more resistant to environmental impacts. And because most people won't notice a difference anyway - because with their untrained eyes they will only register that the car looks "shiny" or "like new"; and possibly even more so with ceramic coatings, which have generally higher gloss levels.

That said it's all a matter of personal preference. Pick the sealant whose appearance you like best, and that fits your lifestyle the best. Meaning, if you enjoy redoing your car on a weekly basis and/or trying out new things and experimenting with stuff, then use waxes, because those will keep you busy. However, if you - like me -, are done experimenting, and just want to be done with the stuff for a while, then go for ceramic, because that's what holds up best, and requires the least maintenance.

With ceramics the only thing you need to do on a regular basis is washing your car properly and regularly (but even that far less frequently, than with waxes) - and whenever you do, you will practically regain the same gloss and shine you had right after you applied it. Other than that, you only need to rejuvenate the coating with a lighter sealant - which can be applied as fast as a spray wax - probably 3-4 times a years, and re-apply the ceramic coating every 2-4 years. That's a LOT less work, than what you'd have to do to maintain the same level of appearance with just regular waxes.
    This is extremely helpful! At first I wanted a good balance of shine and protection but now I’m thinking my main concern is extreme protection from the elements because of the climate I live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

The most shine and gloss you get with the finishing polish IMO. So really take the extra step and use a good finishing pad and a finishing polish to get that little extra gloss out of the clearcoat. It will maybe not look that you are getting so much out of it. But that is for the naked eyes and if you would had it read with a gloss level reader you get higher readings after. Something like menzerna sf3500 or carpro reflect or any finishing polish of choice would do it. I personal would go with a primer for the coating as it leaves a better bonding for the coating and enhance the durability of it. I don't think that Optimum has any primer for there coatings so hyper polish on a finishing pad would be my choice with that. Carpro and gyeon has there primers and is a combo of there finishing polish and glossenhancer and a sio2 base to get there coatings a great prep for coating.

And read up about the maintance of coatings as it is just as importened to do that as to a sealant and waxed car. For example use a car soap that don't leave anything behind as carpro reset and gyeon bathe. As a drying aid a Ech2o or diluted gyeon cure and maybe a little reload in Ech2o also is prefered. Then you have all kind of sio2 products that can be used if wanted to. IMO the coating on it self is a great product and if you want a more slickness to it I would apply a top coating that will be in synergy to the coating you have. And at last for a WW and rinseless wash I would get McKees 37 N-914 as it also doesnt leave anything behind.

3. Thanks Maxreed241 thanked for this post
    Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    The most shine and gloss you get with the finishing polish IMO. So really take the extra step and use a good finishing pad and a finishing polish to get that little extra gloss out of the clearcoat. It will maybe not look that you are getting so much out of it. But that is for the naked eyes and if you would had it read with a gloss level reader you get higher readings after. Something like menzerna sf3500 or carpro reflect or any finishing polish of choice would do it. I personal would go with a primer for the coating as it leaves a better bonding for the coating and enhance the durability of it. I don't think that Optimum has any primer for there coatings so hyper polish on a finishing pad would be my choice with that. Carpro and gyeon has there primers and is a combo of there finishing polish and glossenhancer and a sio2 base to get there coatings a great prep for coating.

And read up about the maintance of coatings as it is just as importened to do that as to a sealant and waxed car. For example use a car soap that don't leave anything behind as carpro reset and gyeon bathe. As a drying aid a Ech2o or diluted gyeon cure and maybe a little reload in Ech2o also is prefered. Then you have all kind of sio2 products that can be used if wanted to. IMO the coating on it self is a great product and if you want a more slickness to it I would apply a top coating that will be in synergy to the coating you have. And at last for a WW and rinseless wash I would get McKees 37 N-914 as it also doesnt leave anything behind.
    As far as polishing goes, I am planning on using what I have right now. Which is, Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish and maybe D300 in a couple spots if it’s bad. Do you think these will do a good job? I also have Megs MT300 DA with 5 inch cutting and finishing MF pads. I will use McKee’s 37 N914 at paint prep ratio to clean any oils left from the UP. Thoughts? I’m not sure of what to use to maintain these vehicles but great suggestions and I will continue to research. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Based on your situation I would definitely go with a coating! I live in So Ca and I have a garage queen! In your case coating all the way! Pictures when you are done!
    Before

Coating, Wax, or Sealant?-img_0719-jpgCoating, Wax, or Sealant?-img_0720-jpgCoating, Wax, or Sealant?-img_0722-jpg

Coating, Wax, or Sealant?-img_0729-jpg

After

Coating, Wax, or Sealant?-img_0730-jpgCoating, Wax, or Sealant?-img_0731-jpgCoating, Wax, or Sealant?-img_0732-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. I just did recently a car with very similar color, and that also came out exactly like this. The ceramic coating has darkened the paint a tiny bit, but that only benefitted the gray, which was now shifted more towards black, and looked more elegant and glossy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itsgn View Post
    Nice job. I just did recently a car with very similar color, and that also came out exactly like this. The ceramic coating has darkened the paint a tiny bit, but that only benefitted the gray, which was now shifted more towards black, and looked more elegant and glossy.
    Thanks! Yeah I think the longer it sits on the paint and cures, the better it looks. It looks more glassy to me at least. A rundown of the process: I compounded with Meg’s D300 and polished with Meg’s Ultimate Polish. Then paint prep with McKee’s N914. Last step, applied Opt Gloss Coat. I coated the wheels with McKee’s paint coating SiO2 enhanced because I ran out of Opt Gloss Coat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12