autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Toyota Paint Protection Film

Just took delivery on a RAV4 Hybrid Limited today, country of origin is Japan. Color is Blizzard Pearl White. There is a factory-installed paint protection film (on the Monroney sticker with Toyota Part #). Not sure if it was installed here or at the factory in Japan and I don't know the brand but it is covered by the 36-month bumper-to-bumper warranty. Basically, this is a clear bra. I took delivery unwashed and not detailed, which was a hassle because the dealership said I was the first customer to request this. Anyway, I took delivery on a rather dusty/filthy vehicle which is what I wanted. The shipment-coating was removed and it was hand-cleaned by Toyota but the paint never saw the auto-swirl machine. I washed it tonight and I checked the paint and it is relatively contaminant free. I plan to clay, seal and wax it next weekend.

What should I do with the film? I'll keep the DA away from it but what about wax or sealant? I'm not going to use any coatings. I prefer to wash and spray wax weekly. Not sure how to proceed with the film. Need some recommendations. Thank you.

2. Thanks sorehands thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toyota Paint Protection Film

You can wax or seal it just like paint. Be mindful of the edges of the PPF and avoid build up of wax/sealant. I own a 2006 Sienna in pearl white. Not sure how similar it is to blizzard white, but I love pearl whites as a general rule.

Congratulations on the new car.

4. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    You can wax or seal it just like paint. Be mindful of the edges of the PPF and avoid build up of wax/sealant. I own a 2006 Sienna in pearl white. Not sure how similar it is to blizzard white, but I love pearl whites as a general rule.

Congratulations on the new car.
    Thank you. I will try to stay away from the edges with the DA and make sure the edges are wiped clean.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Not related to your question but check your tire pressure. They are over inflated prior to shipping and the dealer almost always forgets to lower them to the proper pressure. They may check the box but that doesn't mean it was done. Both of our RAV's came in at 50lbs for all tires and rode like a brick. Mine is Blizzard White Pearl and it still looks good considering it's an '08 model.

Great forum here dedicated to RAV4: Toyota RAV4 Forums
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Not related to your question but check your tire pressure. They are over inflated prior to shipping and the dealer almost always forgets to lower them to the proper pressure. They may check the box but that doesn't mean it was done. Both of our RAV's came in at 50lbs for all tires and rode like a brick. Mine is Blizzard White Pearl and it still looks good considering it's an '08 model.

Great forum here dedicated to RAV4: Toyota RAV4 Forums
    Thank you for the heads-up. I'll check the tire pressure this weekend. Also, thank you for the RAV4 forum reference. This is my wife's daily driver and she doesn't care for these things but she does appreciate detailing now and realizes that the hobby is not a waste of money. Her friend had her car detailed (basic $400 package here in CA is pretty basic and not that great) and I looked at it, saw the swirls, kept my mouth shut in front of her friend but told my wife I can do much better. It is parked outside but I assured her that I can keep it "showroom shiny" for the life of the vehicle. She does appreciate that part of the hobby of detailing.

Regarding the PPF, I'm just going to hit it with OCW weekly and I hope that will be sufficient.

Post Thanks / Like

OCW holds up very well, I doubt you would need to use it weekly.
    Rick....now in North Texas

9. Thanks Route246 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    OCW holds up very well, I doubt you would need to use it weekly.
    It is my drying aid so it gets used as a part of my weekly routine.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk