autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

CQUK difficultlies

I’ve been installing CQUK on my civic for the first time and I can’t say it was a smooth sailing. Ambient temp in the garage was around 65 with humidity in low 40s. The problem is that coating would become sticky the very second it got on the paint. I wouldn’t even be able to level it out with applicator pad before it becomes sticky and grabby. And it wouldn’t even flash yet (visually it would start flashing with 3-3.5min). I was able to remove with mf towel but it wasn’t anywhere close to what I saw in the videos. I ended up leaving it on the paint for 2-3 minutes before removing it and used short pile mf towel using short strokes with very little pressure (otherwise it would just grab and hold me back).

What was I doing wrong? Waited too long and too short? Bad weather conditions? Anything else???

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CQUK difficultlies

Check the date on the bottle, could be old and/or partially cured.

Typically, I will go through 3 suede applicators to do one vehicle. After 1/3 of the car or so application can get grabby as you have described, which is when I grab a new one.

Final thought is that you may not be using enough product.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    Check the date on the bottle, could be old and/or partially cured.

Typically, I will go through 3 suede applicators to do one vehicle. After 1/3 of the car or so application can get grabby as you have described, which is when I grab a new one.

Final thought is that you may not be using enough product.
    Thanks for the feedback. 3 applicators was exactly how many I’ve used. Also the product is pretty fresh, around 3 months old. Opposite to your suggestion I think I used too much of the product - whole car and twice covering the hood and I got left a little over 1/3 of the bottle. Could that be a problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    you did well, CQUK dont need flashing time , you can apply on and wipe off, doing even layer not too thick.
    work on small areas, like 50cm2 , almost WOWO , the sticky feel is the reaction of the coat , might be the humidity you had too
    so even if you wipe off right after its fine, using short loops mf or the suede mf we supply for wipe off.

5. Thanks MattPersman, The Guz, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes MattPersman, The Guz, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avi@CarPro View Post
    Hi,
    you did well, CQUK dont need flashing time , you can apply on and wipe off, doing even layer not too thick.
    work on small areas, like 50cm2 , almost WOWO , the sticky feel is the reaction of the coat , might be the humidity you had too
    so even if you wipe off right after its fine, using short loops mf or the suede mf we supply for wipe off.
    Thanks for the feedback. Yesterday I was doing another car and used Essense as a primer and it made a HUGE difference. Coating went on so much smoother and wiping off was much easier. On the other hand, I got a 50ml of regular CQ I’ll be using. How different is it from CQUK? I believe I have to wait for it flash before wiping it off? Any tips you could share?

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, with the seeming problematic application, I assume you used a paint prep (Carpro Eraser) prior to the coating, correct?

The first thought was as your first reply in this thread, that the coating was past its expiration date.
    I had noted such occurs, that CQuartz can get a little "sticky" and harder to apply when it gets old.

I used a quite old bottle to coat my 6x12 Cargo Trailer last fall. It was just about 2 years past expiration, but never opened. Coming behind to wipe in a small area as a initial test did prove a streaky smeary mess, so I left well enough alone, just applied with the Foam Block and MF Suede Sheets, and didn't touch it after.

Amazingly, I still got beautiful end results. Although I was not looking to achieve perfection as it is just a trailer, I do know I laid down some very good protection on a 15 year old paint finish.

Post Thanks / Like

CQUK is typically all I use. I just had to do a spot buff on a car w/ CQUK this morning... Temps were low 60's and a skim of moisture on the vehicle. I did a rinsless on the area first, corrected the scratch, then used erasure and just as Avi stated, worked the small spot buff area... as soon as it applied, I usually just start removing. No issues. CQUK doesn't like to dwell on the paint for a long time.

9. Thanks Avi@CarPro, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Just curious, with the seeming problematic application, I assume you used a paint prep (Carpro Eraser) prior to the coating, correct?

The first thought was as your first reply in this thread, that the coating was past its expiration date.
    I had noted such occurs, that CQuartz can get a little "sticky" and harder to apply when it gets old.

I used a quite old bottle to coat my 6x12 Cargo Trailer last fall. It was just about 2 years past expiration, but never opened. Coming behind to wipe in a small area as a initial test did prove a streaky smeary mess, so I left well enough alone, just applied with the Foam Block and MF Suede Sheets, and didn't touch it after.

Amazingly, I still got beautiful end results. Although I was not looking to achieve perfection as it is just a trailer, I do know I laid down some very good protection on a 15 year old paint finish.
    Correct, it was bare paint wiped with the eraser after polishing. I’ve used essense as a primer on a different vehicle it was much much better as far as ease of application and removal

Post Thanks / Like

I've used both and Cquartz TIO just isn't my cup of tea. It does provide a nice gloss and what not but it just doesn't have the same nice look at Cquartz UK nor the durability of UK.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

12. Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    I've used both and Cquartz TIO just isn't my cup of tea. It does provide a nice gloss and what not but it just doesn't have the same nice look at Cquartz UK nor the durability of UK.
    So, when you say TIO2, do you mean regular CQuartz? I’m getting confused a bit as I don’t see it anywhere on the packaging. I got 50ml of this stuff I was planning to get use on my pilot (although pretty much half of the car is already corrected and coated with CQUK). Do you think they will look different on the same car? How’s my layers of regular CQ would you suggest to apply?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast