autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage lights

Post Thanks / Like

Garage lights

I just did full pain correction/CQUK coating on my civic and struggled due to extremely poor lightning in my garage. All I had was a portable living room lamp and sun match tool (looks like scangrip but cheaper). It was a nightmare trying the see if all the defect are gone on the grey metallic of my civic. With my wife’s pilot correction/coating planned what are the budget options to improve the lighting to make my life easier? Can anyone recommend a basic 2car garage setup at reasonable for DIY guy price? Thanks in adavance.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage lights

I did T5 High Power Florescent. Two bulbs per unit, four units total thus a total of 8 T5 bulbs. Combined with my garage door opener it's 39,000 lumens and very bright and very clean. I had two bulbs in the ceiling towards the house and simply the first two wired them in there and extended the other two units towards the front of the garage.

I just didn't find LED's that were cost effective to be bright enough. Perhaps prices have dropped. I don't regret florescents though as they are very bright and super easy to find.

This is an old photo and not the best but the lights are the same:

Here's the set up showing a customers car parked and completed.

Plenty of light to work with. I still use my stand up lights for revealing swirls.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like your garage is a bit larger than 2 car garage? I wonder how many bulbs would be sufficient for regular garage? would that be a good idea to place those not only on the ceiling but on the walls as well (as opposed to using stand up lights)?

Post Thanks / Like

I have four of these units. I installed two on each side of where vehicles are parked to add to the existing fluorescent fixture that sits above the hood. They provide me more than enough quality lighting.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
    2017 Honda CTX700
    IG- alfaromeogiulia.palmbeach

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you have two installed on the ceiling? How high off the ground are those two on the side walls are installed?

Post Thanks / Like

I ran into the same thing and just installed new lights in my 24x26 two stall this past weekend. I ended up using the lights in the link below. I installed 8 of them and the garage has almost zero shadows and it more than bright enough for me. I picked these fixtures because that can be daisy chained and they also have pull cords so you can shut some of them off it wanted.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Lig...ords=hyperikon

Post Thanks / Like

For mine I have three suspended from the ceiling at a height of 7.5’ and one wall mounted at 5.5’. The only reason I wall mounted one was due to an attic access door that blocked ceiling use in that area.

2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
    2017 Honda CTX700
    IG- alfaromeogiulia.palmbeach

Post Thanks / Like

I added two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brightest lights I've ever seen. I still have two small problems - First, they are on the ceiling at the front left and the back rear of my garage, because that's where the fixtures are. I end up needing to turn my car around for inspection to feel sure I've seen everything I need to do. I'd love to find a good way to put two more in just for even lighting. Second, it does leave the lower part of the car, under the midpoint of the doors, and below the grill and the trunk deck, still a bit dark. I use a head lamp for those areas. Some side lights would be great, but with my setup as is, it won't happen.

9. Dislikes CityLine disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get this! I have and this is very bright. These are LED too! I am getting another one for even more brightness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

11. Dislikes CityLine disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parshisa View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. It looks like your garage is a bit larger than 2 car garage? I wonder how many bulbs would be sufficient for regular garage? would that be a good idea to place those not only on the ceiling but on the walls as well (as opposed to using stand up lights)?
    24ft x 24ft x 10ft high. I have way too much stuff to do the sides even though in a perfect world I would.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast