autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Layering CarPro CQuartz+Essense Plus+CQuartz

Hi!

I've read that CarPro Essence+ can be used both as a primer for CarPro CQuartz and also as a "topping" for it when repairing tiny scratches in an existing CQuartz coat.

Now, what I want to know is, whether you can actually use both of those properties of Essence+ at the same time? Meaning, I have an existing CQuartz coat, which has been applied some time ago (like half a year or more) to the vehicle, and now I want to make it perfect again, and also apply a second coat of CQuartz over it.

Can I just polish the existing CQuartz layer with Essence+, and then add a new layers or CQuartz over that? Or should I just thoroughly clean the existing CQuartz coating in a non-abrasive way (by washing, degreasing, tar+iron removing, and also doing an IPA wipedown), and try to apply the new layer of CQ directly over that - even the latter has cured overs months ago?

Also, when doing such a layering, what's the life expectancy of the new CQ coat? Will it be still limited by the old CQ coat, which will somehow "peel off" off the paint and also take any new layers with it? Or will first the new layer be gone, and the old one only start to disintegrate once the new layer can't protect it anymore?

Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Layering CarPro CQuartz+Essense Plus+CQuartz

Quote Originally Posted by itsgn View Post
    I have an existing CQuartz coat, which
    has been applied some time ago (like half
    a year or more) to the vehicle, and now I
    want to make it perfect again, and also
    apply a second coat of CQuartz over it.

...when doing such a layering, what's the
    life expectancy of the new CQ coat?

Will it be still limited by the old CQ coat,
    which will somehow "peel off" off the paint
    and also take any new layers with it?

Or will first the new layer be gone, and the
    old one only start to disintegrate once the
    new layer can't protect it anymore?

Thanks for your help.
    •IMO:
    -Any “happenings” that will occur, will
    occur at the microscopic/molecular level.
    -Unless a person has access to the proper
    tools, (such as: scanning probe microscopes),
    then it’d be hard to see what the “happenings”
    actually are/are not.

•Since I don’t have access to such microscopes...
    -I prefer to not take any haphazard guesses, or
    use some type of rhetorical device, to make any
    “happenings” declarations.

•Contact Avi@CarPro, (via PM):
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...=newpm&u=33296

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

3. Likes HUMP DIESEL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itsgn View Post
    Hi!

I've read that CarPro Essence+ can be used both as a primer for CarPro CQuartz and also as a "topping" for it when repairing tiny scratches in an existing CQuartz coat.

Now, what I want to know is, whether you can actually use both of those properties of Essence+ at the same time? Meaning, I have an existing CQuartz coat, which has been applied some time ago (like half a year or more) to the vehicle, and now I want to make it perfect again, and also apply a second coat of CQuartz over it.

Can I just polish the existing CQuartz layer with Essence+, and then add a new layers or CQuartz over that? Or should I just thoroughly clean the existing CQuartz coating in a non-abrasive way (by washing, degreasing, tar+iron removing, and also doing an IPA wipedown), and try to apply the new layer of CQ directly over that - even the latter has cured overs months ago?

Also, when doing such a layering, what's the life expectancy of the new CQ coat? Will it be still limited by the old CQ coat, which will somehow "peel off" off the paint and also take any new layers with it? Or will first the new layer be gone, and the old one only start to disintegrate once the new layer can't protect it anymore?

Thanks for your help.
    Essence+ is not recommended to be topped with a layer of Cquartz. Reload or Hydro can be used on top of essence+.

Pulled straight from CarPro USA's site

Q. Can I use Essence PLUS underneath CQuartz like I did with Essence?

A. No, this is not a primer like Essence is and coatings will not bond on top! If used inconjunction with a coating, this goes on TOP, not bottom.
    Essence+ contains no abrasives so it will not remove the current coating on the surface. An abrasive polish will. It depends on whether or not you want to start from scratch and polish off the current layer or use Essence+ to fill in the defects until you decide to re-coat.

5. Thanks itsgn thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

-Any “happenings” that will occur, will
    occur at the microscopic/molecular level.
    That's was my assumption, too - that's why I put the "peel off" in quotes. However, I'm still curious why they say that the durability of the coating is just two years, and how should I imagine the degradation process of the coating during that time.

Is it that (A) the coating will simply wear off, because of dirt, rain, wash mitts, etc. "hammering" on it, and abrading tiny amounts of it, which in the end will leave no coating on the surface of the paint? Or is it more like (B) that the bond that's been created between the paint and coating, and between the particles of the coating, will somehow weaken or cease to exist, and the coat will simply disintegrate after said amount of time - even then, if nothing was touching it, and was standing in an air conditioned and perfectly clean garage?

I think it's very important to understand this, because it's fundamental for picking a long term approach for maintaining the coating that actually works. If it's (A), then it's safe to layer a new coat on top of an existing one, over and over, because the new coat will now protect the old one(s), and it will be the new coat that will take the beating. However, if it's (B), then it makes no sense to put another coat onto the existing one, as it will be like building a house on sand - and the second coat will also be gone with the first one, once the latter starts to disintegrate, two years after the application of it.

So, does anyone know, how CQuartz - or any other ceramic coating for that matter - is actually degrading? A or B?

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings degrading by the abrasion you do on them, also how good is the coat depends how strong it bonded to the surface and how its good against chemicals we use on the car surface to clean it. doing another layer of coat after first was there for 6 months is fine just make sure tp clean , degrease. and prepare well the surface, if it has swirls or scratches , you will need to polish it.
    using the Essence ( not EssencePlus) with very soft finishing pad and no pressure will help that too and can be coat afterword as well.

8. Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post
    Likes MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For the most part, unless the coatings base is an organic nature, it will more than likely be on the car permanently. It will however lose its ability to be hydrophobic which will make it seem like it is not on the car. If it is of an organic nature (Some top coats), then those top coats are designed to wear away over time, which means that you would need to apply that top coat again.

My recommendation is to use the CQuartz UK or Classic as intended, over fresh paint or a cured layer of Essence, and maintain it over time with prope wash technique and a quick detail spray designed for it. Then after about two years, access the look, not the performance of the coating, and either continue as is, or do a light polish to remove any light marring or scratches that have come over time and then re-coat as you did the first time.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

10. Thanks Avi@CarPro thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Essence+, as others have mentioned, cannot be used as a primer for CQuartz coatings. Instead, in your case, it would ideally be used as a way to revive the hydrophobic properties of your coating without needing to go through the entire CQ install process again. You can even use Essence+ with a lightly abrasive foam pad and get a bit of legitimate correction out of it. Really works great on vehicle's that live in the elements, parked outside or daily driven, to deep clean the paint (or coating) surface and provide a fresh layer of SiO2 based protection. The hydrophobic characteristics of Essence+ are very similar to a coating. If the CQuartz that is already on your vehicle is still performing well, Essence+ is a time saving step that will get your through another year before needing to go in for a full polish and re-coat.

Essence is the primer polish from CarPro. If you are intending to apply a fresh layer of CQuartz you'd want to prep the paint with a thorough wash and decontamination, then polish with Essence, let cure, and then apply your coating. Depending on your polishing technique this process will likely remove most, if not all, of the old CQuartz layers on the surface so you'd be starting out with a fresh install.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

12. Thanks Avi@CarPro thanked for this post