autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to using a buffer.

The cars:

So I have never used a buffer. I'm new and not sure what compounds, polishes, waxes etc to use. I do the basics to keep the car clean: wash, clay bar and body shine, wax, Polish wheels.

Any tips or advice is appreciated. The buffer I was given is a basic craftsman, but it's better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to using a buffer.

It's only slightly better than nothing. Good for applying wax if that. There are a ton of threads on polishing and on Youtube.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also check out Mike Phillip's book on detailing here on Auto Geek.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an article by Mike Phillips regarding the style of buffer you have: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-spreader.html But this is one case I don't agree with Mike as IMO they would make it more difficult to spread wax or sealant than doing it by hand.

If you really want to take your paint to the next level you need to get a PC, Griots or Megs buffer designed to remove swirls. Even the Harbor Frieght 6" Orbital buffer will do a good job if you want to keep the cost down (about $50).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! ^ I have some reading and some research to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to get laughed at...ask me if I care.

I say it's better than nothing for sure, and it's certainly better than using your hands. Sure, they're not ideal polishers for today considering there are much better polishers made and offered today.

I have an old two handed version of a Craftsmen orbital 10". If it was fitted with a Velcro backing plate so that different pads could be put on it would be a beast on large panels even for compounding. It would be great for AIO's, or cleaner waxes. Pretty tough to use it in smaller areas, but great on large panels.

Some here feel they're boat anchors (they are still being made by manufacturers today), and while I understand their reasoning for stating such when compared with more modern polishers, sometimes you have to use what you have. I understand that.

The only problem with posting about it on a forum like this is that most either can't or won't help you because they use more modern tools or they don't sell pads/bonnets that will fit what you have, though AG may offer at least bonnets to fit that machine. If you search online you can still find pads and bonnets to fit that machine.

Some here say they're aren't powerful. I disagree 100%...at least with regard to that old machine I have because all 290lbs. of me has tried to stop it and I can't...rotating or oscillating. It has tons of power. If only the smaller versions of that polisher had as much power.

If I had pads to fit my machine it would be a joy to use on large vans and RV's. Then again, both arms would get tired compared to using my G110v2 and my rotary. Modern polishers (PC7424, Griots, G110v2, etc.,) have so many more advantages though.

Try Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, then Ultimate Wax.
    Bill

7. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aren't the orbital polishers/"wax spreaders" a shorter stroke than other DAs? I'm not even sure it would be called stroke with these since they just kind of vibrate around. I think the lack of "stroke" is what makes them not effective for paint correction, not necessarily a lack of power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MIsnowman View Post
    Aren't the orbital polishers/"wax spreaders" a shorter stroke than other DAs? I'm not even sure it would be called stroke with these since they just kind of vibrate around. I think the lack of "stroke" is what makes them not effective for paint correction, not necessarily a lack of power.

Not mine. Think Dyna-brade dual action rotary attachment type of stroke...which I have. No...my Craftsmen has a huge throw.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Not mine. Think Dyna-brade dual action rotary attachment type of stroke...which I have. No...my Craftsmen has a huge throw.
    Will it reach the trash can?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    I'm going to get laughed at...ask me if I care.

I say it's better than nothing for sure, and it's certainly better than using your hands. Sure, they're not ideal polishers for today considering there are much better polishers made and offered today.

I have an old two handed version of a Craftsmen orbital 10". If it was fitted with a Velcro backing plate so that different pads could be put on it would be a beast on large panels even for compounding. It would be great for AIO's, or cleaner waxes. Pretty tough to use it in smaller areas, but great on large panels.

Some here feel they're boat anchors (they are still being made by manufacturers today), and while I understand their reasoning for stating such when compared with more modern polishers, sometimes you have to use what you have. I understand that.

The only problem with posting about it on a forum like this is that most either can't or won't help you because they use more modern tools or they don't sell pads/bonnets that will fit what you have, though AG may offer at least bonnets to fit that machine. If you search online you can still find pads and bonnets to fit that machine.

Some here say they're aren't powerful. I disagree 100%...at least with regard to that old machine I have because all 290lbs. of me has tried to stop it and I can't...rotating or oscillating. It has tons of power. If only the smaller versions of that polisher had as much power.

If I had pads to fit my machine it would be a joy to use on large vans and RV's. Then again, both arms would get tired compared to using my G110v2 and my rotary. Modern polishers (PC7424, Griots, G110v2, etc.,) have so many more advantages though.

Try Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, then Ultimate Wax.
    I have/had a 6" Sears "wax spreader"...played with it, removed all the original plate 'stuff'. Put some OTC Velcro on the plate. Slapped a LC 6-1/2" White pad on it.

Yea! It did work! Not the best, but the price was right AND fun to try.

As I think back, I believe I first saw this idea here, When? Not a clue.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast