autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to strip wax

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    NormL people never have an actual decent layer of pre existing wax that you didn’t personally apply. Lol.
    now that's funny! I don't mean to ask the same question again, but this will be my first time using a d/a and even though i have everything i need, i am just trying to make sure i have all my ducks in a row before i get into this and do something wrong. I currently have two vehicles with OCW on them and want to use mk37 360 on vehicle and hd speed on another, with white pads. I will wash, clay and wash again.. after that am i good to go right into the 360 ? Is there anything in between my second wash and 360 application that i need to do to prep the paint for the aio ?

Post Thanks / Like

You are good to go with the 360 after the wash/clay/wash. The AIO will remove anything that a IPA or panel wipe would do.

Here are some examples of non-abrasive Pre-wax cleanser polishes. Yes you putting a machine on the car (could be done by hand also), but it is a fraction of the time it takes to polish with a fine polish and you are not removing any clear coat (except for the pad action)

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
    Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer
    Dodo Juice Lime Prime Pre-Wax Cleanser Polish
    Four Star Ultimate PreWax Cleanser
    P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser
    Poorboy's World Professional Polish
    Sonus Paintwork Cleanser Prewax Polish

3. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01AUDI View Post
    I will wash, clay and wash again.. after that am i good to go right into the 360 ? Is there anything in between my second wash and 360 application that i need to do to prep the paint for the aio ?
    You’re good. You really don’t even need to do the 2nd wash after claying. Just wipe off the claylube and by the time you go around the vehicle every panel will be dry and ready for polishing. Or you could just spray on a bit more detailing spray or whatever you’re using for claylube and wipe the panel clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess we should have asked what you were planning on using.

Both are cleaner waxes/AIOs that will remove wax, roadfilm, and what not by use of light polishing abrasives and possibly chemical cleaners.

Claying could/should be done in between like said. Some may do a chemical decon with with products like TarX and IronX before claying to remove as much contamination as possible first.

On another note, I thought I read somewhere that Optimum Car Wax is said to migrate into the clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    You are good to go with the 360 after the wash/clay/wash. The AIO will remove anything that a IPA or panel wipe would do.

Here are some examples of non-abrasive Pre-wax cleanser polishes. Yes you putting a machine on the car (could be done by hand also), but it is a fraction of the time it takes to polish with a fine polish and you are not removing any clear coat (except for the pad action)

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
    Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer
    Dodo Juice Lime Prime Pre-Wax Cleanser Polish
    Four Star Ultimate PreWax Cleanser
    P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser
    Poorboy's World Professional Polish
    Sonus Paintwork Cleanser Prewax Polish

Ok yes that is exactly what i needed to hear. thank you.

Now, will adding a polish before my AIO do anything for my paint or is its only feature cleaning the paint ? You say that it does not take long and can be done by hand so if it helps my paint and doesn't take long i wouldn't mind adding it. I just don't want to add a step that is not needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some good info copied from Mike’s IPA for inspection thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results

If you're dead set on removing any previously applied wax or paint sealant by chemically stripping the paint, then a combination of using both a 10% solution of IPA to Water followed by wiping with Mineral Spirits should remove most, if not all, of any previously applied wax or paint sealant.

Personal Recommendation For Removing Waxes and Paint Sealants
    To remove any previously applied wax or paint sealant, I recommend using a light paint cleaner or a light polish applied by hand or machine. A light paint cleaner or abrasive polish will effectively remove any previously applied wax or paint sealant AND leave the paint looking clear and glossy. I call this working forward in the process because the goal is to create beauty.

Chemically stripping the paint will tend to dull the paint; it certainly doesn't increase gloss and clarity. You don't see the dulling effect unless you're working on black paint and repeat the process multiple times. Since not everyone works on black paint, and you're not going to make stripping your car's paint a daily routine, it could be you won't see the dulling effect on your car's paint but it does take place.

Wiping a clear coated black finish over and over and over again with any type of solvent isn't going to make the top clear layer of paint more and more clear, it's going to do the opposite, that is dull it down.

So chemically stripping paint is what I call working backwards in the process. I, personally, prefer to work forwards in all my detailing projects but do understand the reasons why some people want to chemically strip their car's paint, or their customer's car's paint, and each person can decide what the best approach is for their needs.

And again, since you're not chemically stripping the paint as a "practice" but only during a detailing session, the dulling effect is not an issue, but I wanted to point it out just for the most detail oriented detailing enthusiasts or Pro Detailers reading this article.

8. Thanks 01AUDI thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're using a aio then the aio will remove anything existing.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01AUDI View Post
    Ok yes that is exactly what i needed to hear. thank you.

Now, will adding a polish before my AIO do anything for my paint or is its only feature cleaning the paint ? You say that it does not take long and can be done by hand so if it helps my paint and doesn't take long i wouldn't mind adding it. I just don't want to add a step that is not needed.
    Stick with the AIO and you are good to go. It cleans, polishes and protects.

Here are few more write up to read that I recommend reading.

The Difference Between a Cleaner/Wax and a Finishing Wax

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips

11. Thanks 01AUDI thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks a lot everyone. yall are a real great group of people. I thought i knew what i was talking about but there is a lot for me to learn and yall keep giving me help. I appreciate all the advice and articles.

13. Likes fightnews liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious if mckee37 jeweling wax has enough bite to strip
    I know meguiars wash plus+ doesn't..apparently leaves a surfactant behind

About the only things I haven't tested was TFR which I'm sure it won't..and solvent like Denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, paint thinner (same as mineral spirits)and laquer thinner.

Non acid wheel cleaner, fallout remover, tar/adhesive remover, Dawn dish soap, citrus degreaser, APC, IPA,bug remover, bird sh!t remover etc doesn't do anything

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast