autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to strip wax

I've seen some mentioning of an IPA. is that a homemade mix or is that the name of a brand ?

Post Thanks / Like

IPA solutions and things Eraser are for removing polishing residues left over from polishing/compounding, not for stripping waxes/sealants. A panel wipe like Klean Strip Prep All or Gtechniq Panel Wipe have the ability to remove waxes/sealants. A paint cleanser with a DA is quick way to strip the paint and get a deep clean at the same time. An AIO will do the same thing but also leave a layer of protection down that you will have to decide whether its compatible with whatever wax it is you are wanting to put on your car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01AUDI View Post
    I've seen some mentioning of an IPA. is that a homemade mix or is that the name of a brand ?
    IPA stands for Isopropyl Alcohol. Normally it's used diluted.

Here's an excellent article by Mike Phillips.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...n-results.html

Post Thanks / Like

So do most of you always polish before applying a new wax ? Am i looking for a product that just isn't used often ?

Post Thanks / Like

So do most of you always polish before applying a new wax ?
    I never by rule polish before I apply wax/sealant, not even after claying [unless it happens to be that 5% chance that it ends up marring, which never happens]

I only polish when my goal is to clean the paint of any traffic film that may possibly be holding back the maximum color/shine of the paint or when it’s my goal to remove any swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I never by rule polish before I apply wax/sealant
    so what is your process. You have a new client who has wax already on their car and you want to strip the old wax and re-apply a better and different brand of wax or sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I never by rule polish before I apply wax/sealant, not even after claying [unless it happens to be that 5% chance that it ends up marring, which never happens]

I only polish when my goal is to clean the paint of any traffic film that may possibly be holding back the maximum color/shine of the paint or when it’s my goal to remove any swirls.
    I think this would all depend on how frequently this you are applying the wax/sealant. When I was still using sealants every six months, I would still polish the car on an annual basis. Road grime and minor defects from life usually necessitate a full clay, light polish, and re-apply the LSP.

I also found when using really durable LSP's like 845, it wouldn't fail evenly and some remnants would hold on for a REALLY long time. The only way to ensure all the old stuff was gone and wasn't building slowly over the years was to mechanically polish it all off. When I say polish, I'm only hitting the vehicle with the lightest combination of products to spruce things up. Not a full heavy compound and aggressive pad session where I'd be grinding away at the clear coat.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Compound/Polish is always the sure way to strip an LSP
    With all my testing only type of chemicals I found to strip an LSP is acid
    Hi alkaline and PH neutral products did nothing.

Claying will only strip the LSP that was on the contaminates it removed..

Post Thanks / Like

so what is your process. You have a new client who has wax already on their car and you want to strip the old wax and re-apply a better and different brand of wax or sealant.
    I only polish when I need to polish
    IF Customer isnt paying for a AIO or a paint correction I obviously won't polish ..just apply LSP over surface.

Post Thanks / Like

NormL people never have an actual decent layer of pre existing wax that you didn’t personally apply. Lol.
    Closest thing I’ve ever experienced is what appeared to be a spray wax. And the 1 time that happened I actually complimented the owner for being a 1%er. How to strip wax

As far as anything I personally lay down, I simply re apply. [as long as it passes the baggie test]

And even if there is a layer of wax/sealant on the paint, it’s my personal belief that the solvents in the sealant will remove the pre existing lsp and be replaced with what you’re laying down... Because there’s no such thing as layering*

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast