autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What to do with matte stripes?

So i'll admit. I haven't been following the forum for almost 6 months because I've been bummed about my diesel vw going back to vw due to the emissions cheating deal.... well later this morning I'm picking up a 2015 mustang gt premium in competition orange. it has matte stripes on it and I'm not sure how to take care of those. I see there's a McKee 37 product for this (matte finish cleaner and protectant) but when I try to click the link for the review it comes up blank. and there doesn't seem to be any videos on it yet either so before I order anything I figured it would be worthwhile for me to come here and ask you experts on this. the mustang has 22k on it and the paint doesn't appear to have been taken care of. there aren't any dings but you can tell its been through many scratch and swirl auto washes.

thanks,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do with matte stripes?

Quote Originally Posted by hegel View Post
    So i'll admit. I haven't been following the forum for almost 6 months because I've been bummed about my diesel vw going back to vw due to the emissions cheating deal.... well later this morning I'm picking up a 2015 mustang gt premium in competition orange. it has matte stripes on it and I'm not sure how to take care of those. I see there's a McKee 37 product for this (matte finish cleaner and protectant) but when I try to click the link for the review it comes up blank. and there doesn't seem to be any videos on it yet either so before I order anything I figured it would be worthwhile for me to come here and ask you experts on this. the mustang has 22k on it and the paint doesn't appear to have been taken care of. there aren't any dings but you can tell its been through many scratch and swirl auto washes.

thanks,
    Steve
    I have always use a WOWO sealant like Opti-seal to care for my customers matte stripes. If you start protecting them from the beginning you should never have an issue. Plus Opti-Seal can be used on literally everything without issue.

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on what you're going to put on the rest of the car. If you're coating the car, you can just wipe the coating right over it no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hegel View Post
    ...later this morning I'm picking up a 2015
    mustang gt premium in competition orange.

it has matte stripes on it and I'm not
    sure how to take care of those.

I see there's a McKee 37 product for this
    (matte finish cleaner and protectant) but
    when I try to click the link for the review
    it comes up blank. and there doesn't seem
    to be any videos on it yet either

so before I order anything...
    •I only use matte-specific products
    on matte finishes.

•As for the McKee's Matte product:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes,
    and every single product, from a leather cleaner
    to a state-of-the-art paint coating goes through
    rigorous testing before we even consider adding
    it to a product line.

Some products make the cut, while others do not.

I lead the development for all new products under
    the PBMG corporate umbrella, and I've given more
    formulas thumbs down than I can count on 10 hands.

It's easier to assume than it is to trust.
    Rest assured you're in good hands.
    ^^^"It's like money in the bank"!^^^'

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great. I've ordered the McKee 37 matte cleaner and a few other bits I was running low on. As far as I can tell research wise I just need to Mask off the stripes so they don't get hit with the DA and I should be good. Not quite sure what to do with the 1.5 inch strip between the stripes... probably try and polish by hand.

thanks,
    steve

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I just machine polish these stripes. As long as they don't look like they are starting to peel off you should have no issue, just avoid the edges if they look questionable. I will use a AIO product like Megs PRC or Speed. It will turn your pads black but they clean up easy enough and they look great after.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are machining matte stripes you might want to rethink that, they are supposed to stay matte. I tape off, polish the paint then coat them as well as the paint. Test somewhere out of site if possible. I did a PCP Hellcat and pulled the plate, tested behind the plate before moving onto the entire vehicle. Anything that adds gloss should be avoided for matte stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

So when you guys are saying "coat" them as well as the paint...you're saying use whatever wax or sealant on the stripes as well? Or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

What to do with matte stripes?

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post
    If you are machining matte stripes you might want to rethink that, they are supposed to stay matte. I tape off, polish the paint then coat them as well as the paint. Test somewhere out of site if possible. I did a PCP Hellcat and pulled the plate, tested behind the plate before moving onto the entire vehicle. Anything that adds gloss should be avoided for matte stripes.
    Nope I don't need to rethink anything. I've put this into practical application hundreds of times. It's not paint, it will never gloss up no matter how much you polish it. All it does is clean it, with the added side effect of protection. I will use PRC to clean these and black plastic that you find on door pillars, side mirrors, and bumpers. It always comes out looking great. Discovered this trick by accident when I bumped a section one time and saw how good it looked. If you are taping off and buying special products then you are wasting time and money. I spend all of 10 minutes on this stuff. Try it sometime. You can thank me later.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have bumped matte stripes with a fine polish, it did shine them up, which was the problem since they weren't supposed to be shiny!! In your pictures, I admit that looks great, but matte should stay matte. No sheen to them at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast