autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice on prepping for a ceramic coat

Hi all! I'm going to be ceramic coating my 2014 Ford Fusion with CQuartz. It has the sunset red metallic paint but desperately needs to be polished and have some paint correction done... Will upload some pictures/videos tomorrow but the paint has swirl marks with two deep scratches. Pretty sure those deep scratches will need paint as well, my nail got caught on one of them.

What will I need to fully prep the car? Right now I have all the equipment to get as far as claying the car and removing contaminants but nothing for polishing or paint correction. From going through the forum it seems as though I'll want to do a 2-step correction and that I'll need a DA, pads, polishes, and touch up paint. What exactly should I get? It seems like some pads and polishes are paint specific, some DAs have variable speeds, etc.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on prepping for a ceramic coat

If it was me, I'd probably address the paint scratches first. With what a disaster I am with conventional paint touch up products, and how often I've had zero luck with factory type touch up paints, I'd probably look to Dr. Colorchip. A very easy to learn system, dries so quickly, and works so well.

If the color coat hasn't been compromised, you may only need the Clear Paint to fill.

There'd surely be nothing wrong with either a Porter Cable 7424XP, or Griots Garage GG6 Machine. Compliment either with a 5" and 3.5" Lake Country Backing Plates, and an assortment of 5.5" and 4" Pads.

The White Lake Country Thinpro Pads in the sizes I mention will largely cover most polishing and correcting tasks and can achieve varying final results dependent upon the Polishes used. I'd say it would be good to have a 1/2 dozen of each size of the White Pads, and maybe have a couple of the slightly coarser Orange, or whatever would be slightly more agresssive than a standard Polishing Pad in whatever brand you choose.

This will then give you a greater range of correction if possibly needed for some really bad areas on your vehicle just in case.

As for Polishes, I'd probably use a product that I feel is fail-safe, Wolfgang! Small Bottles, if all available in 8oz should be plenty for the one vehicle, would be the Wolfgang Uber Compound, Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. This trio will achieve a knock your eyes out show car finish, and these products I mention have little peer and can be counted on.

I'd definitely consider buying a liter bottle of Carpro Eraser to do the final prep wipe down prior to coating.

Insure you have enough Carpro Microfiber Applicator Cloths to have on hand, and a good supply of good Microfiber towels.

Also, you should not forget to have a few rolls of good Painter's Masking Tape in a few widths to mask off trim parts, badges, etc when polishing.

Remember that the decontamination and prep is the most important parts to get the best final results, and to not rush the processes. Even for a car, such can take 2 to 3 days to get through all of it, and that it is best to not try to beat a clock. Take breaks as you go, this gives time to recharge, and to also better think though your work.

Study all the vids you can prior to this work. All of us, no matter how good need to return to the "detailing altar" from time to time.

3. Thanks Meep thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, welcome to the forum, have fun, and happy holidays!

Post Thanks / Like

You can save time to be honest with a good one step polish. And you have to make sure there's bare paint and nothing else when you apply the coating. To be safe as well, try to use a water based polish so you're not chasing polishing oils around the car, just to make your life easier. Sonax cut and finish is an excellent one step, and you will need a paint prep spray of some kind since you're using a carpro coating, I would use carpro eraser as the paint prep. Get a lot of buffer pads, you'll need it.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

6. Thanks Meep thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    You can save time to be honest with a good one step polish. And you have to make sure there's bare paint and nothing else when you apply the coating. To be safe as well, try to use a water based polish so you're not chasing polishing oils around the car, just to make your life easier. Sonax cut and finish is an excellent one step, and you will need a paint prep spray of some kind since you're using a carpro coating, I would use carpro eraser as the paint prep. Get a lot of buffer pads, you'll need it.
    This is good advice, but I'll add a little to it.

Just because a car has paint in really rough shape, doesn't always mean you need to drag out multiple levels of pads, a heavy compound, and all manner of finishing polishes to be used on two or three correction steps. Do a couple test spots like Mike Phillips teaches here and you might be surprised with the results. Letting the products you have and the paint drive your workflow will save you a lot of time and work. Test spots are critical.

My best example is the picture below. The car's paint was in pretty rough shape, but due to the paint being very soft all was needed was a finishing polish on a medium polishing pad. I've been able to get harder paints coating ready in one step too using the same type of product recommended above.

Low oil/water based polishes and a paint prep spray are life savers like WillSports3 mentions. I've been using oily polishes and clean up is a pain.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Thanks Meep thanked for this post
    Likes WillSports3, The Guz, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the best results are from one step and leave it be. At the end of the day, we want our rides to look good and stay looking good. Doesn't mean we keep our daily drivers like showcars though
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Mike Phillips

[QUOTE=Meep;1547452]

Hi all!

I'm going to be ceramic coating my 2014 Ford Fusion with CQuartz.

Hi Meep,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline.net!

Quote Originally Posted by Meep View Post

What will I need to fully prep the car? Right now I have all the equipment to get as far as claying the car and removing contaminants but nothing for polishing or paint correction.

From going through the forum it seems as though I'll want to do a 2-step correction and that I'll need a DA, pads, polishes,

It seems like some pads and polishes are paint specific, some DAs have variable speeds, etc
    Earlier I wrote this article just for people getting into machine polishing. There is a TON of information in this one single thread. I'd recommend reading the first post and the follow up replies.

Also click on the links to other articles. By the time you get through it you'll know more than most detailers.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Meep View Post

and touch up paint. What exactly should I get?

Polish the car out first and then apply touch-up paint <-- that is the order and I cover this and TONS more info in this article,

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

11. Thanks Meep thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see you drop in here Mike, and as well you other folks to help out.

Our new member Meep can probably receive as many suggestions as their are members here, and that can add to the confusion as to what will be the best products and methods to pick. The variables will be the condition of the paint, the hardness of the paint or lack of, and your personal abilities to accomplish paint correction and prep.

Since the OP has chosen to go with a Quartz Coating, I think one would wish to pay extra special attention to the degree of correction achieved, to get the absolute best finish possible prior to locking it in with a semi-permanent coating. If it was simply a wax-sealant, no problem simply coming back at a future point in time to further refine the paint finish when time allows.

When I myself chose CQuartz UK for one of my own vehicles (Tahoe in my Avatar), I researched all that "should be done" prior to Coating, and of course the decon processes of Washing, Iron-X Iron Remover, Claying, Washing, Paint touch up, Eraser wipe Downs, Masking, the numerous amount of towels used, final cursory inspection prior to cracking open that CQuartz bottle and then following with Carpro Reload had gotten quite time intensive, and as well quite expensive when one tallies the costs of all products involved and used.

Was it a lot of work, sweat, toil, time and money invested? You bet it was. Was it worth the expense and time invested? Yes, it definitely was!

Seems there was no disagreement that a good D/A Polisher, a good selection or proper Pads, and other Decon products are basically agreed upon. These are investments which of course are not one time, throw away products, that with care, good tools will be with you many long years, and can aid you with numerous vehicles down the road. With that said, don't then think of the investment as only being thrown into one vehicle, and wasting too much money upon it.

As for how well Wolfgang Uber Compound works, as a more aggressive correction product, yet by design finishes down so beautifully which in many cases no further correction or products would be needed, I would consider this to be an extremely worthy and outstanding "1-Step Product" which would probably work beautifully on its own on many paint systems. If the Ford Paint is soft, the WG Finishing Glaze will surely remove any remnants of any possible micro-hazing left by WG Uber".

If I was going to "Coat" a vehicle, I don't think I'd then use any AIO that contains any waxes-sealants, that to me is working backwards.

13. Thanks Meep thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice - its all the work you have to do BEFORE you can coat it!

15. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to apply cquarts I would recommend to use carpro essence as a finish polish. This is also a primer for carpros cquarts coatings. If you do a wipe down with carpro eraser before polishing with essence and have the possibility to let essence cure over night you can go directly to apply cquarts the next day. This gets you a really good finish and you extend the longevity of your coating when useing a primer as essence. Depending on your budget I recommend as carpro does to apply 2 coats of cquarts coating. And if you want to apply a top coating that will excell the longevity and the water behavior you can top it with carpros newest product Gliss. This is just some options but to do at least 2 coats of cquarts coating is recommended.

Good luck and hope you find your way to do it. Many good recommendation has been suggested already.

17. Thanks Meep thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast