autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thin Honda paint

Got around my wife’s 16 Pilot and measured the paint. Holy smokes, that paint is thin. The lowest (area near the handles on the doors) it measured 85-90 microns. On average I’d say it measured 100-105 microns and man those numbers were inconsistent across one panel. Really sloppy paint job. Anyway, my question to you all detailing experts, how aggressive would you be comfortable going knowing these numbers? Car doesn’t need compounding, just minor wash marring and light swirls. I was thinking sonax PF on a white lad and then essense as a primer. Or perhaps essense on the orange pad right away? Just didn’t have the time yet to give any of these products a try on this paint

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thin Honda paint

100 mic is safe for a light polish. If you plan on keeping the Pilot for 5+ years or more, I wouldn't be chasing minor swirls. Try hiding them with something like Essence Plus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    100 mic is safe for a light polish. If you plan on keeping the Pilot for 5+ years or more, I wouldn't be chasing minor swirls. Try hiding them with something like Essence Plus.
    Would regular essense be suitable for this application? I was gonna use it as a primer for CQUK but not sure on it’s cutting abilities

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parshisa View Post
    Got around my wife’s 16 Pilot and measured the paint. Holy smokes, that paint is thin. The lowest (area near the handles on the doors) it measured 85-90 microns. On average I’d say it measured 100-105 microns and man those numbers were inconsistent across one panel. Really sloppy paint job. Anyway, my question to you all detailing experts, how aggressive would you be comfortable going knowing these numbers? Car doesn’t need compounding, just minor wash marring and light swirls. I was thinking sonax PF on a white lad and then essense as a primer. Or perhaps essense on the orange pad right away? Just didn’t have the time yet to give any of these products a try on this paint

I would try fresh batteries in the PTG or calibrate it. Honda usually has fairly thin paint, but not that thin. Also the fact that it's a '16 so I assume there has been very little, if any, paint correction. You're talking about a vehicle painted by robots. While paint thickness is going to vary from one area to another you should see some kind of consistency. I assume you bought this vehicle new?? If it's truly that thin and you bought it new I would be questioning the dealership.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I would try fresh batteries in the PTG or calibrate it. Honda usually has fairly thin paint, but not that thin. Also the fact that it's a '16 so I assume there has been very little, if any, paint correction. You're talking about a vehicle painted by robots. While paint thickness is going to vary from one area to another you should see some kind of consistency. I assume you bought this vehicle new?? If it's truly that thin and you bought it new I would be questioning the dealership.
    The batteries are new and PTG calibrated. Reading on my 17 civic are far more consistent although there’s still some variance to them. The car has been bought brand new and I’ve done one correction about a year ago using Menzerna 2500 (70% of the area) and 3500 the rest. I had PC only at that time with white/orange CG pads do I doubt I’d remove that much clear with this set up. I ran the PTG over the brand new 17 pilot at the dealership( couple of panels) and readings were also in that 100micron range...it feels like finishing polish would the only thing I can use on it now?

Post Thanks / Like

Would regular essense be suitable for this application? I was gonna use it as a primer for CQUK but not sure on it’s cutting abilities

Regular Essence is a finishing polish with minimal cut. It does have some durable resins that will hide some light marring and like you said, act as a primer for CQuartz.

Post Thanks / Like

The batteries are new and PTG calibrated. Reading on my 17 civic are far more consistent although there’s still some variance to them. The car has been bought brand new and I’ve done one correction about a year ago using Menzerna 2500 (70% of the area) and 3500 the rest. I had PC only at that time with white/orange CG pads do I doubt I’d remove that much clear with this set up. I ran the PTG over the brand new 17 pilot at the dealership( couple of panels) and readings were also in that 100micron range...it feels like finishing polish would the only thing I can use on it now?

Imo, if you need PF2500 to correct the swirls, it would not cause a problem on clear at 100-105 microns.

Post Thanks / Like

Give it a try. It’s fairly versatile with the pad used.

I’ve removed coatings such Optimum Gloss Coat and Cquartz with essence and a polishing pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Give it a try. It’s fairly versatile with the pad used.

I’ve removed coatings such Optimum Gloss Coat and Cquartz with essence and a polishing pad.
    Sounds good, will give it a go. I got several polishes but I was just wondering if anyone has good experience with modern Hondas, perhaps some decent knowledge on what works the best. Anyhow, thanks for the feedback folks!

Post Thanks / Like

Did our black 17 Accord w Scholl S20 Black on their honey spider pad (remove 22ple HPC) and then Scholl S40 on crimson hydrotech pad and it worked quite well.

Previously gone over with Rupes white (pad and polish) prior to HPC application.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast