autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Inexpesive hand held light for paint correction?

I have terrible lighting in my garage (just one single bulb) and since I probably won't be able to drive my brand new Corvette for the next couple of months I figured this is a good time to go over the finish and remove any minor scratches that might be on the finish from the assembly, transport and PDI. When I picked up the car on Wednesday I could see a few minor spots that I wanted to correct (when I viewed it under the lights inside the dealer's showroom) but I can't remember where all of them are and have only been able to find and correct a few areas with my poor lighting. I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on professional type lighting though, but figured there must be some types of lower cost flashlights (under $30 for example) that could be somewhat effective for me.

I'm also of the mindset that I don't want to drive myself crazy and make the paint 100% perfect, as it won't be a show car and I will be driving it a lot. So my main goal is for the paint to be 90% perfect, as I feel that's good enough so that from 10 feet away it will look perfect to most people, but it also helps me keep my sanity. I owned a black Corvette when I first got into paint correction and it was a never ending quest for perfection that was just not achievable for that car considering it was a daily driver even in winter (my new one will never see snow and will rarely see rain, so at least it'll be easier to keep the paint nice, plus it's a bright non metallic red, that also helps)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Inexpesive hand held light for paint correction?

I also have lighting trouble in my garage. Light is the most important factor when it comes to detailing. I didnt even realize how important it was until I got this new headlamp.

I have a bunch of different types of flash lights and headlamps but none are as good as the scangrip I view. Its not even really that expensive. Plus it's rechargeable so you wont have to keep changing batteries. You can go though 30 dollars worth of batteries during a 3-4 day detail. I highly recommend it

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Hu0SxwCWmvZa-n

Post Thanks / Like

^^ that looks like a good light but still way too pricey, but the time I ship it up to Canada it'll be over $100.

Post Thanks / Like

Try and find a used Brinkmann on EbayInexpesive hand held light for paint correction?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

This is probably going to sound crazy but I didn't want to go out to any stores today (too crazy on Christmas eve!) so I decided to just try out the flashlight on my iPhone to see if it could help me spot the imperfections and it did a half decent job, especially once it started getting darker in the garage. The imperfections I am finding are so minor in nature that I'm not even using my DA to remove them, I am removing them by hand with a small round microfiber applicator along with Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

you can try looking on ebay and search " cob led pocket pen light " - they are inexpensive to where it if doesn't work out for spotting defects you'll have a light for around the house, glovebox, etc.

8. Likes SWETM, Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Brinkmanship, probably my favorite tool