autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I might kill myself if I don't replace my step stool with something better.

I've been using a small folding step stool for reaching the roof and windshield of my truck for washing etc. But today I was leaning over the truck a little, and the ladder started to fold back down and knock me off my feet. So I need to ditch that stool and just use it for around the house stuff but not cleaning a truck.

What do you guys use that is safe to stand on to reach over trucks ? Whatever it is, I cannot afford it to fold down or wiggle or collapse if I put a little english on it.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think I might kill myself if I don't replace my step stool with something better.

there's actually quite a few threads on this topic, here's a recent one...
    Gorilla Platform

3. Thanks subyfan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I might kill myself if I don't replace my step stool with something better.

I use that same Gorilla platform^ It's cool and works great... But to be honest it's a bit of a PITA having to move it from 1 side to the other over and over again... I say buy 2 or buy none.

Maybe I just have to get better at finishing 1 side completely instead of going back & forth.. And 2 platforms might be cumbersome, but that thing hasn't been as convenient as I'd like it to be sometimes. I wish it had wheels.

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think I might kill myself if I don't replace my step stool with something better.

I have the adjustable height heavy duty Gorilla platform from home depot. The extendable leg stabilizers help a little, but if I really need to lock it down a sand bag across each of the lower cross members glues it to the floor. The extra height is a big advantage but it's not incredibly stable on it's own at 30".

Some 3m stair tape on the platform helps too.

https://gorillaladders.com/product/glwp-55a/

Post Thanks / Like

Just got the same platforms from r 29.00 at the Home Depot for Black Friday. Great deal and super handy not sure if any Boxing Day deals on it but well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tattooman View Post
    I've been using a small folding step stool for reaching the roof and windshield of my truck for washing etc. But today I was leaning over the truck a little, and the ladder started to fold back down and knock me off my feet. So I need to ditch that stool and just use it for around the house stuff but not cleaning a truck.

What do you guys use that is safe to stand on to reach over trucks ? Whatever it is, I cannot afford it to fold down or wiggle or collapse if I put a little english on it.

Thanks.
    I only have a compact suv and I use a 4' fiberglass ladder. I wouldnt be able to wash my car without it. Get a real one from home depot it will be worth the investment imo

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the gorilla platform.
    Use it for washing the tops of tall vehicles or as a workbench when working on lower vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I use that same Gorilla platform^ It's cool and works great.

^^ I use a simliar one only the one I have is adjustable in height upwards of up to 3ft so I can easily use it around the house for other items too. Makes working on tall SUV's and vans easy as can be. I ordered my through Home Depot and had it shipped to my house. Mine is incredibly stable even at full height. Check them out there at the store or online.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

tattooman
    I ended up making my own step stool. it's two step's about 18'' wide & just fit's under my truck. this way if I'm leaning over & it kicks back it won't lift up. it can only hit under the
    truck. if I slide it over with my foot it won't damage the rocker paint(should i kick it to hard). it's great to get in the back onto the tail gate. I've found that's better to have a couple of step stools around the truck(it saves all lot of steps). sorry I don't have any pics. good luck.
    hmardown

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all the boys here. Years ago I bought the Werner Platform, has served me well, I think I paid something like $21 for it on a black Friday sale, worth every penny and has served me well.

This newer adjustable height Gorilla looks real nice too, my Werner does not have this feature, but still no regrets.

With my Tahoe though, and of course many other "high" 4x4's, these Platforms still fall just a little short. Especially if you're thinking of doing Roof paint correction with a D/A, or perhaps some other involved processes where you need to be able to reach comfortably to the center of the roof.

For that, a good 4' or 5' Werner Fiberglass Ladder will be a great aid. They surpass the cheaper all Aluminum variety, are light, and solid. I caught a nice 5' Werner on black Friday 2016 for very little money, couldn't pass it up, I think $29 if I recall.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast