autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car !! ceramic coating question

Thanks all, thought i'd update though all this was completed a couple of weeks ago.. I went ahead and did the full, clay, compound, polish and wax and she came out perfect. All swirls completely gone. Happy as punch with the results ! Spent about 5hrs in total. But hey its all good fun ! Thanks for the Collnite #915 tip, i'll give it a try. (any excuse eh ! lol)

So here are some pics,

2. Likes BudgetPlan1, gti14, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the GTI! I had a 14 GLI 30th Edition and loved it. Before that was a Passat TDI. I've gone back to trucks since then but absolutely loved both of my Volkswagens.

I'm not a professional compared to some of the people around here but I would think that if you use a polish and see that you've eliminated the swirls then you have probably removed whatever coating they applied at the dealer.

Like Paul said... Do a test spot first and if all looks good, continue over the entire car.
    Chase
    Mine: 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Z71, 6.2L Crew Cab
    Hers: 2016 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 EcoBoost

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw your update... That GTI looks incredible. Nice job!
    Chase
    Mine: 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Z71, 6.2L Crew Cab
    Hers: 2016 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 EcoBoost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
    Done a dealer trade for a new car i was looking for, as it had the transmission i was after, which couldn't be found locally. Anyway cutting a long story short, when the car was delivered, i found out that they applied a product called 'auto bond'. Auto Bond Sealant | Auto Bond Sealant | The World's Leading Automotive Protection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo010c-UbXY Tried calling them and no surprises here but its a voice mail only. Anyway I'm going to presume that they've probably taken a generic ceramic coating and applied it, All the dealers that are all probably owned by the same person, is 'offering' this added protection for god knows how much... Anyway given they're saying no more need to wax / protection for 5yrs, i'm going to presume they've added a ceramic coating. Personally the car looks like absolute crap, swirls from head to tail ! For a car that only has 35miles on the clock it's pretty disappointing. My guess is that it sat on the lot at the dealer in central FL for 4 months, and went through their automatic car wash.

So i was going to give it my usual in way of a full detail, start off with a clay, then compound then polish to get rid of all those nasty swirls, then my favorite Collnite 845 and call it good. But don't know enough about ceramic coatings. Do i have the potential of making the swirls worse ? or just go about my normal business, and treat it like another clear coat on the factory clear coat ? and do the above.
    What color car? Geez you would think a car dealership could keep paint swirl free for 35 miles ### is wrong with everyone. Its like almost nobody can do anything right. Even when its their job to do it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, my biggest worry is that they applied this coating to an already swirled up car thus making it much harder to get the swirls out. Maybe the car was on the lot for a couple of months, and regularly going through their dreaded automatic car wash as the dealers do to all their cars on the lot, then they thought, lets put on the auto-bond package, which includes pin stripping (which i immediately took off!!) mud flaps and a tint, oh and this auto bond product.

Car is a Pearl black VW Gti Autobahn. I like to detail my cars to perfection, so i hope i haven't bitten off more than i can chew getting a black car lol... Only picked it up this week, so need to work on dropping the suspension this weekend, and a good clay, compound, polish and wax job, before i can really enjoy her ! I should also mention i have a Meg's MT300 and the foam cutting and polishing pads. I've only used Megs Ultimate Compound and Polish for compound and polishing. Waxes i've tried all sorts, but Collnite is my go to !
    Nothing wrong with that combination just try to use a pad per panel if you want great results.

Post Thanks / Like

oh yeah i know its a complete scam. One i would have said no way too, except when this particuar car was delivered the previous dealer (as it was a dealer trade) had already applied it. Car looks like crap. The worst swirling i've seen to come off a lot. Almost haze like. I'll tackle it this weekend, just wanting to know what i'm up against, never having dealt with a ceramic coating in my past.
    The haze could be from the product. I got a ton of haze when I applied pbl diamond paint coating v2. I made a thread about it with pictures so its all documented if you want to check it out and see if it looks similar?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, thought i'd update though all this was completed a couple of weeks ago.. I went ahead and did the full, clay, compound, polish and wax and she came out perfect. All swirls completely gone. Happy as punch with the results ! Spent about 5hrs in total. But hey its all good fun ! Thanks for the Collnite #915 tip, i'll give it a try. (any excuse eh ! lol)

So here are some pics,

idk how you did all that in 5 hours i know its a small car but still. I can't even get my car cleaned and prepped and clayed in 5 hours nevermind compounding, polish and waxed... That's a 3 day weekend for me.

9. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    idk how you did all that in 5 hours i know its a small car but still. I can't even get my car cleaned and prepped and clayed in 5 hours nevermind compounding, polish and waxed... That's a 3 day weekend for me.
    And i thought i was obsessive.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks amazing brother man ! Photo skills are up there as well New Car !! ceramic coating question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123