autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you detail chrome that is already in great condition ?

The rear chrome bumper on my ford truck is fine, it doesn't have any issues. But as an experiment, I degreased and washed it, then used Mother's liquid Chrome Polish on a 3 inch DA buffer pad, worked it in, let it dry, then wiped it off. So far so good. But afterwards I could not tell a difference from when I started after cleaning it. As far as I can tell it didn't make any difference. When I work on paint, I get results. So why didn't I get any "results" with the chrome ? I'm aware that chrome is not paint by any stretch, but is there anything we can do in detailing that can give chrome that little extra bling ? Or is that not really possible with chrome ?

2. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you detail chrome that is already in great condition ?

I’ve had similar experiences with Mothers chrome products. Whether it’s their [liquid] Chrome Polish or their All Chrome Spray, I can never tell a difference after using it. The only time I can tell a difference on chrome is when it actually needs some polishing or deep cleaning i.e. wheels or big chrome mirrors on an RV etc.

These days my go to for chrome bumpers like yours is Megs D151, which is basically just a cleaner wax. The reason I’ve decided on that is because most metal polishes aren’t recommended for chrome, and on the other hand I can’t ever tell a difference with the Mothers chrome stuff.. The cleaner wax, while it doesn’t make a world of difference on well maintained chrome at least offers protection + I’ve seen it clean up minor pitting and make a difference + it’s safe on plastic chrome.

Post Thanks / Like

If chrome is in good shape just use glass cleaner. It works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a cleaner wax when 'chrome' has water marks, otherwise nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

•Your bumper is “decorative chrome”.
    -Decorative chrome is as shiny as it’s
    ever going to be, when it comes from
    the OEM’s bumper vendor for installa-
    tion at the assembly plant.

•Sounds like your cleaning/polishing efforts
    at least kept the original shine intact.
    -Give thanks for that.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

7. Likes HUMP DIESEL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As noted by FUNX650, chrome plating is a decorative finish, and thus much like glass it cannot be polished to make it any brighter than when it was new.

And the quality of chrome varies a lot.

Keep in mind that our chrome care products are developed to be safe for chrome; however we do make products specifically for metal polishing which are not safe for chrome.

And despite the term "polish" in our Mothers California Gold Chrome Polish, it does not perform any surface defect correction, but it does polish away film, stains and water spots.

If your chrome is already looking good, you'll at least get some peace of mind that you cleaned away any foreign material that may miss your eye, and provide protection as the formula does contain polymers to protect the finish from stains, rust and corrosion.

Our chrome care products are much like a cleaner wax for paint, but formulated specifically for chrome.

So does a chrome care product serve a purpose? I'd say definitely yes.

Does a chrome care product make a distinctive visual difference? Not always. But it is a good idea to apply them routinely.
    Mothers Polish
    Customer Service & Technical Support
    jimd@mothers_dot_com

9. Likes custmsprty, FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mothers metal polish. One of only two or three metal polishes I’ve ever used in 20 years of detailing. Stuff works. I like the anology of cleaner wax for chrome. As I was reading Jim’s response I was thinking the exact same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I would get some Optimum Metal Polish and go over the whole thing lightly and then wipe clean. It has a protectant in it.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience it is a lot easier to screw chrome up than it is to improve its appearance. For that reason my regular chrome care is to simply keep it clean. Regular washings and/or wiping it down with a QD or a waterless/rinseless wash, spray wax, etc.

For the occasional deep cleanings to remove road film and such I use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. I shy away from chrome polishes because I have seen some of them actually degrade the appearance of nice chrome.

Once you instill any fine scratches (like those you would call swirls in paint) they are there for eternity.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, at least some metal polishes that are advertised to also polish chrome are also more than likely to damage chrome -- I have done it. This is likely because polishes that are optimized to polish bare metal (aluminum, stainless steel, etc.) can scratch chrome. This is why at Mothers we make a specific chrome-safe Chrome Polish liquid, and we've been making it for decades, and it's so gentle it's safe for glass. We also have our new All-Chrome spray (which came out a couple years ago) which is also safe for permanently-finished bright work like anodized aluminum and plastic chrome. The polishes in our chrome products not only clean in a safe manner, but also protect the finish.
    Mothers Polish
    Customer Service & Technical Support
    jimd@mothers_dot_com

14. Likes FrankS liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast